Pontiac G8 2008-09 & Chevrolet SS 2014+ LSX based RWD 4-door sedans

No traction

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2009, 11:52 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by phoenix h.o.
i'll be the first to admit that the biggest problem with the run was the driver (me) lol. I just need a little more time behind the wheel with this car. I'm used to a th400 with trans brake. Doesn't take to much skill on that one. I'm gonna try and get some stock 17s with drag radials like recommended above and see what i can do.
what was your mph!?!?
Old 02-20-2009, 03:06 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by VipZ28
Dude. Seriously delete your post, this is not the impression you want to make with post 1. The GXP will spank the GT. Dyno numbers are coming in like 60RWHP higher than the GT and the gearing alone is enough to kill the GT. This guy can't drive for crap(No offense to the OP, but hey.. you suck ), Hence the 60' of 2.5 SECONDS. His MPH was likely up around 108-109, where the GT struggles to run 102.
vip ur rite about that talkin about the gt but the only *** here would be u if u could drive the car on that skinny *** tire they come with with that 6 speed ud have trac problems too ive seen this guy at the track he rides the clutch but the powerband kicks in and brakes them lose its not like hes dumping the clutch..so it seems to me the only *** here is u. and yes this is my first post. FML!
Old 02-20-2009, 06:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Toyo do some 295x19 semi slicks with soft compound

Thats what Im going to run on my 19x9.5 rims.
Old 02-20-2009, 07:18 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by holloweenss
vip ur rite about that talkin about the gt but the only *** here would be u if u could drive the car on that skinny *** tire they come with with that 6 speed ud have trac problems too ive seen this guy at the track he rides the clutch but the powerband kicks in and brakes them lose its not like hes dumping the clutch..so it seems to me the only *** here is u. and yes this is my first post. FML!
Old 02-20-2009, 11:07 AM
Teching In

me: 8======D :0 <you

hahahah jk
Old 02-20-2009, 01:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Great first post holloweenss! nothing like pwning someone for a first impression. I liked his rebuttal.....a smiley of gtfo!! Welcome BTW

And to add something constructive to this post, will that Toyo tire's 295 with fit on a stock rim? Seems a bit wide and might ride on the sidewall a bit.
Old 02-20-2009, 05:07 PM
10 Second Club

255 are as wide as will fit. i'm going to get a pair of 17x9 f-body wheels with drag radials and see what happens.
Old 02-20-2009, 05:08 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Phoenix H.O.
255 are as wide as will fit. i'm going to get a pair of 17x9 f-body wheels with drag radials and see what happens.
Dude come on, quit stalling, what was the MPH??
Old 02-20-2009, 09:54 PM
10 Second Club

lol....sorry. it was 101
Old 02-20-2009, 11:12 PM
TECH Regular

Heh. get back out there, don't spin this time. and don't lift :-p
Old 02-21-2009, 06:52 PM
Teching In

Vip, you are funny. If you can't hook up, you will lose. Period. The GT will get out on it, especially on everyday driving out on the street, and the GXP won't catch it until you are going too fast anyways. From a roll, obviously this would be a different story.

I suspect with the GXP it will have a lot of the same issues with wheel hop that the CTS-V has being that now it has a M6 in it. Just like the M6 CTS-V's i've raced from a dig, it hasn't been pretty for them. A roll, they pull.
I bought this car for a daily driver, I have my fun car in the garage. If I was aiming for what the GXP is aiming for, I would definitely pick a whole different platform all together.

My whole argument is "Stock vs. Stock" off the show room. Now if it had a solid in it,

Just because it is my first post, DO NOT ASSUME I am not educated.

Phoenix, I am sure you will get much better times when you get a tire on it. M6 IRS cars aren't the easiest to drive at the track for sure. No doubt it is a very nice car... I don't want to come across as an ***, just making an observation. The 101mph trap shows that there is much left.

But whatever, I'm done with this thread. Good luck Phoenix!

Last edited by breakinparts; 02-21-2009 at 07:09 PM.
Old 02-21-2009, 10:34 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by breakinparts
Vip, you are funny. If you can't hook up, you will lose. Period. The GT will get out on it, especially on everyday driving out on the street, and the GXP won't catch it until you are going too fast anyways. From a roll, obviously this would be a different story.

I suspect with the GXP it will have a lot of the same issues with wheel hop that the CTS-V has being that now it has a M6 in it. Just like the M6 CTS-V's i've raced from a dig, it hasn't been pretty for them. A roll, they pull.
I bought this car for a daily driver, I have my fun car in the garage. If I was aiming for what the GXP is aiming for, I would definitely pick a whole different platform all together.

My whole argument is "Stock vs. Stock" off the show room. Now if it had a solid in it,

Phoenix, I am sure you will get much better times when you get a tire on it. M6 IRS cars aren't the easiest to drive at the track for sure. No doubt it is a very nice car... I don't want to come across as an ***, just making an observation. The 101mph trap shows that there is much left.

Being your first post wasn't what made you sound uneducated, Your post made you sound uneducated. It won't take long until someone figures out how to launch their GXP, and gets a good time laid down. The same things happened when the GTOs first came out. Yes, the Auto's are easier to drive, Yes, they are easier to launch, Yes they are more consistent, But come on, they are putting down 60+ more HP at the ground stock, the GXP will be faster once this guy figures out how to drive his (no offense to the OP ) and other people figure out how to drive theirs.

My 98 camaro had 245's on it stock (albeit on a 16" rim so there was some sidewall) but I was able to cut low 1.9's with it consistently, With a 2.0X 60, the GXP's will be waving bye bye to our stock and lightly modified GT's. That being said... I still love my GT. The cheapest GXP I've seen was 10K over what I got my 09GT for, and to your point, yes, 10K buys alot of mods. And seeing as how I'm more in to road race/autoX in my old age, the GT's slightly faster slalom time just makes me grin
Old 02-22-2009, 12:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sorry, just wanna poke my head in on this thread and comment........M6 CTS-V? as opposed to the A4 CTS-V?(all 1st gen were 6 speeds) just wanted to throw that out there, unless you have driven an 09 V.
Old 02-22-2009, 03:22 PM
12 Second Club

My GT now has the same HP as a GXP. If you don't drive it right you get clouds of smoke, but little forward movement.
Old 02-22-2009, 04:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

VIP was your '98 dynoing @ 370+ on that 245 tire? If not that's an apples to oranges comparison. A 245 tire WILL NOT hold that amound of power on a consistent 1/4 mile level. Ask the full bolt on GT (auto!) guys dynoing in the 360s, who have been asking for a while, "What rim/tire combo can I go with to get traction?"
Old 02-22-2009, 05:03 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by '02 Double U S-6
VIP was your '98 dynoing @ 370+ on that 245 tire? If not that's an apples to oranges comparison. A 245 tire WILL NOT hold that amound of power on a consistent 1/4 mile level. Ask the full bolt on GT (auto!) guys dynoing in the 360s, who have been asking for a while, "What rim/tire combo can I go with to get traction?"
A measly 305. Yeah, because you can't launch at say... 80% throttle and roll in as traction allows can you

Traction management is just part of racing... OBVIOUSLY it will be easier to manage on a stickier tire, and that will put down a faster time. I'm just saying that I think 2.0X 60's are possible.
Old 02-22-2009, 05:32 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Phoenix H.O.
i have an 09 g8 gxp. i was just wondering what some of you guys use to get traction. i haven't found drag radials for the 19" wheels it has and i don't know what backspacing or size i should go with on a smaller wheel to put drag radials on since the brakes are so big. any info would help.
Im pretty sure M&H makes drag radials for 19's. Just google them. Good luck!
Old 02-22-2009, 05:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

A 19" DR is pretty pointless though w/ no sidewall

I know they have 20" DR's for the 'Vette folk.
Old 02-23-2009, 07:04 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by LS1crazy01
Im pretty sure M&H makes drag radials for 19's. Just google them. Good luck!
Nobody is making 19s yet. 18s and 20s, no 19s.
Old 02-23-2009, 09:24 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by itsslow98
Sorry, just wanna poke my head in on this thread and comment........M6 CTS-V? as opposed to the A4 CTS-V?(all 1st gen were 6 speeds) just wanted to throw that out there, unless you have driven an 09 V.
Right, just was throwing that out there that it was a 6 speed car to keep in context. I have never seen an A4 CTS-V either. It was just a restatement of a fact. The 05 I have ran several times was a LS6 car with the ZO6 spec T56, and 3.73 Gears. It pulls surprisingly well

I agree with you Vip... The thing about the GXP is it is going to be extremely limited by driver skill. On the street I think it would not be easy at all for a GXP racing a GT from a dig. Unless the driver knew the car well...

Phoenix, when are you going back to the track for round two?

Quick Reply: No traction