Pontiac G8 2008-09 & Chevrolet SS 2014+ LSX based RWD 4-door sedans

G8 to survive as Chevy Caprice !!!! "too good to waste"= Bob Lutz 7/11/09 interview

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2009, 01:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 427C5
I love Bob Lutz.
Henderson is a ******* douche who will put GM right back into the same trouble where it was.
Maximum Bob should be the one runnining the show.
x2 Fritz is a major douche, and isn't doing GM any favors with him at the helm.
Old 07-16-2009, 05:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Now SLP can build the all new Chevy Caprice Firehawk!
Old 07-16-2009, 09:26 PM
TECH Addict

So much for that.
The zeta sedan (G8) is dead in the US.

http://fastlane.gmblogs.com/archives...%E2%80%A6.html

July 16th, 2009

Bob LutzCars & Trucks
It Seemed Like a Good Idea at the Time…
By Bob Lutz
GM Vice Chairman

OK, I have some late-breaking news for you from the world of GM, where things are indeed moving quickly, and what I’m about to say is proof.

In fact, we’re moving so fast, we’re going back in time to, oh, about four or five days ago, when the Pontiac G8 was going away and was not going to become a new Chevrolet Caprice.

And therein lies the news: The G8 will not be a Caprice after all. I’d mentioned it, and said we were studying it, giving it a serious look, because a car like the G8 was just too good to waste.

That’s all still true. But I have to say that, with my new “marketing” hat on, upon further review and careful study, we simply cannot make a business case for such a program. Not in today’s market, in this economy, and with fuel regulations what they are and will be.

I know that we’ll get a lot of complaints from G8 lovers, because I’m one of them. And the product guy in me is complaining as loudly as anyone. But the marketing guy says there’s no case. With budgets being what they are for the time being, the resources must be allocated elsewhere.

In no way, and this is very important, in no way does this mean we are backing away from performance, or backing away from rear-wheel drive. Look no further for proof than the Corvette, the Camaro, the CTS or many other present and future Cadillacs. We have a strong lineup of RWD vehicles already and we will continue to have it.

And we have a tremendous RWD team in Australia that gave us the beloved G8, a team that we will tap into at some point again in the future for its expertise and sheet metal. Just not right now.
Old 07-16-2009, 11:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Say goodbye to one of the best domestic sedans ever made! That sucks man, I guess Fritz got the best of Lutz.

Why's is it they can prepare to launch another RWD Caddy, like he mentioned, that's going to be undoubtedly expensive, when they can just rebadge the G8 and keep selling them with the success they've had since it's inception, and at an affordable cost.

That sounded like a pre-written response, and not written by Lutz. "Strong lineup of RWD vehicles already", he knows you can never have too much of a good thing.

Last edited by '02 WS6; 07-16-2009 at 11:43 PM.
Old 07-17-2009, 03:28 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Thats too bad. Was hoping to see the G8 stick around.
Old 07-17-2009, 10:53 PM
TECH Veteran

Henderson made the right call.

Even if the car did start selling well it still wouldn't make money. Just like the Saturn Astra, just like the Kappa Roadsters, just like a host of toy car projects Lutz has championed that have failed.

I don't know, when you're running a business it seems to me that they need to be selling things that actually make money. Not offering cars that sell in small numbers and wouldn't turn a profit even if they did sell in big numbers.

It's not like we can no longer go out and get G8s. There are plenty of them left for those of you who really want one. Or you can buy one second-hand.
Old 07-19-2009, 07:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well I don't see the CTS V nor the Camaro breaking any sales records, so why toss the G8, even when sales were at it's highest at it's time of demise?

GM is out of bankruptcy partly because they sell a **** load of Buicks in China, not because they managed to make the right calls on the right cars to sell in the US.
Old 07-19-2009, 09:15 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by TriShield
Henderson made the right call.
Even if the car did start selling well it still wouldn't make money..
Do you guys realize that the G8 is just a 4 door version of the Camaro ?????
It's the same damn car.

What king of idiot CEO kills the sedan version of a car after all the money for design, engineering, and tooling has been paid?

A performance oriented buyers like me is NOT going to buy a 4,000lb car unless it offers 4 doors and a good bit of utility. I'll buy a TRUE sports coupe (Viper/Vette) or a touring sedan. (G8, S4, G35x, Panamera)

Fritz is a ******* idiot.
If anyone has the ability, please forward that message to him.
Old 07-19-2009, 09:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The car is made by holden, I am sure it didn't cost them all that much.
Old 07-20-2009, 12:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 427C5
Do you guys realize that the G8 is just a 4 door version of the Camaro ?????
It's the same damn car.

What king of idiot CEO kills the sedan version of a car after all the money for design, engineering, and tooling has been paid?
I agree 100%.

Basically a free car, that's already rebadged once, only a few cosmetic changes.
Old 07-20-2009, 07:31 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by retardedpenguin
The car is made by holden, I am sure it didn't cost them all that much.
It cost GM one BILLION dollars to design the G8. ONE BILLION DOLLARS.
If GM doesn't capitalize on every cent and sell it in the US,
HENDERSON IS A ******* IDIOT.

GM can build the G8 on the same line they build the Camaro.
Just like the XLR is built on the same Bowling Green line the Corvette is built on.
Old 07-20-2009, 03:01 PM
TECH Addict

Insideline article today:

Pontiac G8: The World's Best Car Nobody Was Buying

Date posted: 07-20-2009
STORY TOOLS
Digg this storyDigg this!
del.icio.usdel.icio.us

DETROIT — On General Motors' FastLane blog last week, newly unretired Vice Chairman Bob Lutz conceded that the company can't make a business case for rebadging the suddenly lamented Pontiac G8 sport sedan, the car that caused a first-week-on-the-job train wreck between Lutz's vision of GM's product-strategy future and that of the automaker's CEO, Fritz Henderson.

Days before and barely hours into his return to GM's salaried-exec payroll, Lutz said GM was going to rebadge the underappreciated, Australia-sourced Pontiac G8 as a Chevrolet Caprice, calling it a car "too good to waste."

The pronouncement flew directly against an earlier thumbs-down verdict about the G8 from Henderson, who said he does not favor rebadging.

Lutz previously had praised the G8's cult status among enthusiasts and said the car's sales were gaining momentum. True enough. But a little perspective from data analysts at Edmunds.com shows what appears to have really generated that momentum: outsized incentives.

It wasn't until the big-time money was on the G8's faux ram-induction hood that its sales numbers began to ratchet up — and even those numbers, fueled by thousands of dollars in high-test incentives — hardly were the stuff that saves distressed divisions.

If Lutz finally saw the numbers, this simple snapshot of the G8's true "demand" — and more important, its ultimate profitability — that quickly led Lutz, on the FastLane blog, to admit, "upon further review and careful study, we simply cannot make a business case for (rebadging the G8 or using it as a law-enforcement fleet vehicle). Not in today's market, in this economy, and with fuel regulations what they are and will be.

"I know that we'll get a lot of complaints from G8 lovers, because I'm one of them," Lutz continued. "And the product guy in me is complaining as loudly as anyone. But the marketing guy says there's no case."

Long before GM confirmed Pontiac would be discontinued and before GM started slathering on incentives, G8 sales were running at a tepid average of about 1,500 per month and for the full year sold a total of 15,002. Its best month last year was April, its first full month on sale, when G8s went to 2,126 buyers. Not the numbers of a car sparking a sensation in the market — at least not a profitable sensation.

Yes, the G8's 2008 sales total assuredly was impacted by the industry sales crash that began in the second half of the year. But assuming the G8's numbers were affected in proportion to the total industry decline, its actual 2008 sales might project to a year of perhaps 22,000 sales.

As for the widely distributed theory that the G8 is just now "catching on" with consumers and gaining momentum, move on its 2009 year-to-date performance. A quick look at Edmunds.com's Total Cost of Incentive demonstrates what's likely responsible for the G8's ballooning sales: as soon as GM radically hiked G8 incentives (by 50 percent or more), sales increased in direct proportion.

In fact, just two months ago in May, Edmunds.com data indicates G8 incentives hit their highest-ever amount ($5,415) for this purportedly "hot" model — almost five times the G8 incentive GM was offering at the same time last year.

Inside Line says: Nobody wants to shut down emotion, but the G8's perceived popularity was profitless — and at least the "new" GM now appears grudgingly willing to admit it. — Bill Visnic, Senior Editor, AutoObserver.com

Well, tell me why the Camaro's competition all offer both a coupe and a sedan and GM can't offer both ?????
The Infiniti G37 and 3-series BMW both offer coupe or sedan body styles.
Why can't GM ????
Old 07-22-2009, 08:58 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

They could have kept the look of the car.
Old 07-22-2009, 10:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by '02 ws6
hell, even a blind squirrel finds a nut from time to time.:d
hahahaha :d
Old 09-30-2009, 08:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 899 Likes on 641 Posts

Originally Posted by pr95blackbird
LOL!!! Caprice Firehawk
Ohh you beat me to it!

That's what Pontiac gets for putting the Firehawk name on the G8.
Old 09-30-2009, 08:51 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i agree the name sucks. i liked the appearance of the g8 a lot more too. to me this seems like just another chevy sedan.... but with a sweet drivetrain
Old 10-01-2009, 12:34 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 196 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by LilJayV10
Ohh you beat me to it!

That's what Pontiac gets for putting the Firehawk name on the G8.
Beat you to it? Hell he posted that back in july lol.
Old 10-01-2009, 11:47 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 899 Likes on 641 Posts

Originally Posted by kinglt-1
Beat you to it? Hell he posted that back in july lol.
I just heard about this a few days ago. I am never on the G8 boards. When I found the thread I was like, "Oh oh I've got a smartass comment to give!"

But it was to late. I didn't even notice it was from back in July.
Old 10-05-2009, 11:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How about a Caprice Cop Car?

http://www.foxnews.com/slideshow/lei...ser?test=faces
Old 10-05-2009, 11:22 PM
Teching In

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by JohnnyC

Please GM....PLEASE replace the Impala with this car. A new, rwd Impala SS? I would buy one.

Quick Reply: G8 to survive as Chevy Caprice !!!! "too good to waste"= Bob Lutz 7/11/09 interview