Pontiac G8 2008-09 & Chevrolet SS 2014+ LSX based RWD 4-door sedans

G8 to survive as Chevy Caprice !!!! "too good to waste"= Bob Lutz 7/11/09 interview

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2009, 01:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll stick to my Pontiac pride and eventually buy an 09 G8 GT or GXP.

Considering selling my T/A here in a few years. Maybe, maybe not. A G8 GT could be a daily though... Maybe I could have both

I love my Pontiacs! Family love really! I'm mad GM got rid of Pontiac! Pontiac was the only vehicles my family has ever bought besides a Chevy 2500HD truck and my DD 03 Eclipse (biggest mistake POS car). All of our past Pontiacs lasted 200k or more

Glad it isn't being rebadged as that Caprice though. Ugly exterior! G8 had a so much more classy, yet daring look to it. As magazines have quoted the G8 is the 4-door Corvette and the poor man's BMW. You can "keep up with the Jones'" along with keeping your need for speed.

Long live GM!
Old 10-13-2009, 09:07 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Gerb22
Please GM....PLEASE replace the Impala with this car. A new, rwd Impala SS? I would buy one.
The problem is the majority of the consumers wouldn't.
Old 11-28-2009, 06:58 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Frosty
The problem is the majority of the consumers wouldn't.
Your so right!
Old 12-24-2009, 12:58 PM
Teching In

GM is taking away the excitement for buyers. The tbss is gone now the g8. Besides the camaro, which has 4 seats but no back seat leg room for a 4yr old, what does gm have exciting to offer us?
Old 12-24-2009, 01:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by OH2LE
GM is taking away the excitement for buyers. The tbss is gone now the g8. Besides the camaro, which has 4 seats but no back seat leg room for a 4yr old, what does gm have exciting to offer us?
I agree. There is the Cobalt SS, now there's a fun little car. As the owner of a FWD turbo car with far more power than it should have, this would be a great beater car. I think it's going away too though. If you're rich, a CTS-V hits the spot, but really there is nothing in the middle.
Old 12-24-2009, 01:46 PM
12 Second Club

Exciting doesn't always sell cars. If the TBSS and G8 weren't selling do you think GM cares more about our feelings compared to making money?
Old 12-26-2009, 01:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm sure the TBSS was selling enough to keep the trim package alive, but like the Grand Nationals the platform went away. I personally wouldn't mind an Equinox SS if they did it right, 3.0 DI TT AWD with around 400hp and 27 MPG would be a good replacement. The Equinox is nicer vehicle anyways. I'm still holding out hope for a rebadged G8 as a Lumina SS or something for a DD.
Old 12-26-2009, 01:22 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I saw the rebadged G8/cop car and it looked like crap. I had to look long and hard to recognize it because GM tried so hard to hide it. I'm certain a Chevy version would do NO justice to any name they chose... visually.

Pontiac didn't market the car right. I remember my wife and I being denied a GP test drive because they wanted to keep the mileage low on inventory. This might make sense except they were trying to sell a "new" 600 mile dealer driven vehicle. What a friggin' joke! And by the way, the Pontiac dealership died a few months later. Go figure.

G8's problem is that it was a Pontiac/GM product. I am certain that if it had BMW badges on it and was offered for sale at a BMW dealerships (at least on the East and West coasts) it would have sold like hot cakes.

The problem was that new car buyers looking for a BMW type vehicle don't walk onto Pontiac dealerships. This flagship model would have taken years to overcome the connotation associated with the Pontiac marque.
Old 12-26-2009, 07:35 PM
Launching!

The g8 came way too late to save ponitac and GM. Its unfortunate because, like the tbss, it was a good vehicle with great potential. The problem is that the market is hurting as is, and what's left of the car buying market is dominated by front drive economy cars and cross-overs. GM was clearly out of the competition, and in addition to not selling enough cars, they had to also deal with their growing expenses such as employee benefits, plant operations, and past profit losses.

If the g8 were with another car maker perhaps it would've survived.

Quick Reply: G8 to survive as Chevy Caprice !!!! "too good to waste"= Bob Lutz 7/11/09 interview