Pontiac G8 2008-09 & Chevrolet SS 2014+ LSX based RWD 4-door sedans

considering a g8 gt, any problems with them?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2010, 12:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default considering a g8 gt, any problems with them?

im looking to getting a new dd, i have an 04 gto that i want to keep but its getting high on mile so ive been looking around for a new dd. i test drove a new camaro ss and wasnt impressed with it, then took at g8 gt and i loved it. it handles and drives like my gto. has anyone had any problems with them? how are they in the winter? and just anything i would need to know about them? it would be appriciated if anyone has any info for me. thanks
Old 05-15-2010, 04:16 PM
Launching!

I haven't had any problems with mine. They are an excellent DD with just enough power to still have fun! I've done multiple long distance trips including driving to Atlanta and back from Michigan. I've never had any comfort issues, in fact since I've had this car I've no longer had back pain on long trips and it's amazing, lol! These cars do great in the winter, especially with the Traction Control and Stabilitrak that they come with. It saved my *** a few times in the icey conditions and snow fall we got this winter in Michigan.

I do have mine (09 Liquid Red G8 GT) for sale and I'm not to far from Illinois since I live in the southwest side of Michigan. I'm only asking $21K as that's my payoff. 40k miles with a few rock chips and a scrape underneath the front bumper. I've upgrade the Lighting to HID's and a few other things. Here's the link to my for sale thread https://ls1tech.com/forums/vehicle-c...uld-trade.html Let me know...
Old 05-15-2010, 05:44 PM
Teching In

I have had mine for almost a year now.The only issue was the lca's were replaced.It is a great car. I would recommend a tcm tune,due to the stock trans being lazy when shifting. I have a roto fab and vector ecm and tcm tune. The tune really wakes these cars up. I would buy another and good luck on your search.
Old 05-15-2010, 06:31 PM

Love mine!!!! Best car that i have ever owned, not sure about the snow though. I live in NC and we don't get any snow. They definately respond a lot better with a tuner, especially transmission. Good Luck
Old 05-16-2010, 03:07 PM

They are terrible in snow like every other RWD car, put on some Blizzaks and you're golden. With the stock all seasons I had a hard time getting around in all the snow this February. The car runs great and handles like a dream.
Old 05-16-2010, 07:02 PM

thanks guys youve been a big help
Old 05-16-2010, 07:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm in the Chicago area and don't have any problem going through the snow with the Goodyear Eagle GT all season tires I put on. I've had it for 2 winters and never got stuck once. Other than having the lower control arms replaced, it's a great trouble free car. I wouldn't trade it for anything else!
Old 05-16-2010, 07:18 PM
Staging Lane

I think they suck with the stock "all season tires"(Goodyear RSA's) but still managable around here. Snow tires make a HUGE difference from what I have heard.
Only other problem is the remote start range sucks(20'-30') and the dealer can't figure it out.
I'd buy another one in a heartbeat... just do it... then you can have one of each of Pontiacs last muscle cars like I do
Old 05-16-2010, 09:51 PM

im going to get one got some stuff to work out but im going to have one.i love pontiacs
Old 05-16-2010, 10:09 PM
TECH Veteran

I can't tell you anything not already stated but here goes:

Everyone has the steering wheel shake and it is hard to get rid of. The dealer will give you little to no support that doesn't involve random attempts to fix that that involve you paying out of pocket. Drive the car around first at all different speeds and demand they fix it if it has those symptoms.

Both the M6 and the A6 need a tune even if all you adjust is the tq control. I have put tunes on both cars and the difference is night and day esp off the line the tq control will grab you by the *****.
Old 05-16-2010, 10:14 PM
Staging Lane

mines been at the dealer about ten times in about a year! had problems with the evap system!!
Old 05-16-2010, 10:33 PM

Originally Posted by bluebird00
mines been at the dealer about ten times in about a year! had problems with the evap system!!
I had a problem with it as well, however it was my gas cap loosening. It has come loose between refills once in a while and I have no idea how (I am not stupid, I know how to tighten it). As the gascover locks, I find it unlikely that this is an issue of tampering.
Old 05-17-2010, 08:07 AM
Banned

i am also looking at getting one. my local dealer says that he has had a alot for the gt's come back for something to do with the cam. like the timing chain. he is trying to push me towards the g8GXP instead. but idk if i want one of those. i still want to drive this car year round if the roads arent to bad.

so is the GT having timing chain issues?
Old 05-17-2010, 08:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

A few of the GT's have had the timing chain adjuster fail, but it's not a wide spread problem. Plus it's covered under the 5 yr/100,000 mile warranty so it's no big deal.
Old 05-17-2010, 09:32 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 196 Likes on 138 Posts

The g8's have had problems with the lower control arms prematurely failing. My friend had both fronts replaced at 12k mi...
Old 05-17-2010, 10:00 AM
On The Tree

Great car all the way around! I drive mine year round in WI with a set of blizzaks and its amazing. Never drove it in snow with stock tires but it drove just fine. Never had any problems with mine except the steering wheel shake now and then but if your dealer does any research there is a bulletin tracing it to the driveshaft but they have to replace a bunch of other things first and make sure everything is in spec before they do it. they replaced the motor mounts in mine and did some other stuff and will be doing the driveshaft soon. didnt make any sense to me but after paying attention while driving it does. i'll have no shake and then i bag it to mess with someone and when i let off and slow back down it will be shaking so i guess it could be the driveshaft.
Old 05-17-2010, 10:18 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Big_Bird_WS6
i am also looking at getting one. my local dealer says that he has had a alot for the gt's come back for something to do with the cam. like the timing chain. he is trying to push me towards the g8GXP instead. but idk if i want one of those. i still want to drive this car year round if the roads arent to bad.

so is the GT having timing chain issues?
GXP will probably be a waste of money for you unless you want a stick or like the visual styling a lot more. Both cars are just about as fast.
Old 05-17-2010, 01:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

How fast will a stock GXP trap vs a bolton GXP ?
Old 05-17-2010, 03:22 PM
Banned

How do those transmissions hold up to making more power?? For instance like cam/full bolt ons/ 100 shot?
Old 05-17-2010, 04:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

It'll handle any of those mods, but if you go forced induction you'll need to beef up the trans.

Quick Reply: considering a g8 gt, any problems with them?