Pontiac G8 2008-09 & Chevrolet SS 2014+ LSX based RWD 4-door sedans

What do you love and hate about your G8

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2011, 01:23 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pros:
Looks, Power, Size, Gas Mileage for such a big motor. I am constantly getting comments at gas stations on how good the car looks. I haven't had any issues with paint. The look on BMW 335/535 owners faces when they realize they just got spanked by a Pontiac. Ultimate driving machine my ***!!!

Cons:
Size, Steering is over assisted, leather doesn't even feel like or smell like leather, can't go backwards with the DIC, that damn "Atari" gauge, No info for artist/song on the radio. Cheap feeling plastic. Friggin' "Atari" gauge, I still hate that thing. A proper performance car needs proper gauges . The seats don't have enough lateral bolstering.

Over all I'd give the car an 8.5 out of 10. I came from a M6 Infiniti G35 Coupe to the Pontiac. The Infiniti will blow it away in the twisties, the Pontiac will out brake the Infiniti even with the Brembo option on the Infiniti. Compared to the "G" the Pontiac has a trunk large enought to live in. The back seat will swallow up my kid and all his supporting crap. Compared to the Infiniti the Pontiac just hauls ***. American torque rules!!!!

Any issues can be fixed with a few choice suspension pieces. I think sway bars will be next.
Old 01-09-2011, 02:53 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 207 Likes on 174 Posts

We like the power, ride, handling, comfort, interior and trunk roominess, and the styling.

Agree with the complaints about the sunroof and paint. F-body paint is superior! Don't like the HVAC controls at all. Lack of Nav and no bluetooth (early 09). Car is rather low tech compared to Euro and Asian counterparts. The leather is weird and door panels and plastic smudge and scuff really easily.

But these are minor gripes. We really like the car.
Old 03-04-2011, 02:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

new owner of a silver 09 GT.

Likes - good throttle response from a dig, center display screen shows EVERYTHING, large cabin space has enough room for large people

Hates- the hood gap to the grille looks aweful, the front seats dont recline all the way up, trans in manual mode takes forever to shift but in normal mode shifts tight, no tint makes headlight glare horrible, Euro styling rear facia

I can't wait to use it on a long highway trip. Around town i shift in manual mode, cause it goes to 6th way too early in normal mode.
Old 03-05-2011, 09:00 AM

Overall, I love my G8 GXP, but there are a few things that I wish were different:

1. No memory seat/mirror/radio setting function. So you have to adjust everything each time for each driver.

2. No homelink for the garage door. Can mod to add one naturally, but should be included.

3. The rear seats do not fold down, only a small middle access door.

4. Trunk release in the glove box....would like to have that a little more handy near the driver, very minor.

5. No FM2 on the radio. So you only have the 6 primary settings for radio memory.

6. No NAV options was available, so you have to go external or replace the center console setup.

All VERY VERY minor things, I wouldnt trade this car for the world, but there are always a few things that could be different/better.
Old 03-05-2011, 01:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There's an FM2, press the band button to access it. This is from the owners manual.

Press BAND to select FM1, FM2, or AM.
Old 03-05-2011, 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by RedHotG8
There's an FM2, press the band button to access it. This is from the owners manual.

Press BAND to select FM1, FM2, or AM.
Guess i need to talk to the GM guys, as mine goes right to FM->AM->XM1->XM2->CD->Rear Aux. But, I'll read the manual, again to see whats up. Maybe I need to roll the knoby thing or something. Thanks.

Last edited by Thunder7; 03-05-2011 at 08:03 PM.
Old 03-05-2011, 08:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't have XM so maybe that's why I have an FM2 and you don't. I looked in the owners manual and it didn't say anything about XM, so your manual might be different than mine.
Old 03-25-2011, 05:26 PM

Figured it out...have FM2 now...still no AM2, but who cares I don't think I have listened to AM radio since the 1970s.

Quick Reply: What do you love and hate about your G8