Pontiac G8 2008-09 & Chevrolet SS 2014+ LSX based RWD 4-door sedans

What do you love and hate about your G8

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2011, 08:52 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default What do you love and hate about your G8

Im looking at a couple right now for the wifes new ride and I want to know what you guys love and hate about these cars.
Old 01-04-2011, 11:51 AM
On The Tree

Get one w/o a sunroof if you can - tends to be noisy and a PITA in general. Otherwise no complaints.
Old 01-04-2011, 12:41 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would have to agree. The sunroof is nice but very noisy and I have heard of some people having leaks in theirs. Mine doesn't leak but the hoop that pops up makes it ever so noisy so I end up rarely using it at over 35 mph. I plan on trying to remove the hoop so I can use it more often.

All of the issues I have had with my car have been cosmetic or non-reliability issues.
Interior rattles
Loose door handle
Shaking steering wheel.
Squeaking engine. (bulletin out there now)
Having to buy front caster bolts.

I had a time where I was frustrated with the acclamation of all of these issues and the lack of support from GM to deal with them. I would have to tell you it is still a good car and worth keeping.
Old 01-04-2011, 01:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

I like the way it drives, rides and handles, plus it runs pretty strong with a few minor mods. The auto/manual shift works good, plus it has a auto sport mode that holds the RPM's up when driving aggressively. It's been very reliable in the 2 years I've had it, only needing to have the front lower control arms replaced under warranty.

Some owners have had issues with vibration that is wheel/tire related, so make sure you test drive it on the highway before buying. The only bad thing I can say about the G8 is the paint chips easy, but it seems to have leveled off now that it's a couple years old. It's definitely the best car I ever owned and plan to keep it for a long time.
Old 01-04-2011, 09:14 PM
Teching In

Love the power and room. I have two 6' teenagers and they can sit behind me with no issues. Some people will complain about the gas mileage, but I think a combined mileage of 19.5 is very respectible for a large V8 4 door car. Your mileage will vary depending on the weight of your right foot and how frequently you exercise it. the only negative I have is the interior. I think for a car that retailed for $34K (GT/premium/sun/sport) the interior should have been nicer.
Old 01-05-2011, 09:13 AM
TECH Veteran

I hate the lower interior plastic and paint that scuffs if you breath on it.

Everything else is lustworthy.
Old 01-05-2011, 02:17 PM
Launching!

I now own a v6 G8 and have driven the GT multiple times while car hunting. These apply to both in my experience.

The good - handling, comfort, looks, and size. The v6 isn't that bad of an engine either.

The bad - The suspension is noisy, and clunks a lot. Paint is pathetic. The plastic center console could be better, it's cheap. Transmission/shifting is very sloppy/lazy. No ability to tune the v6. I would like an instant mpg indicator. No info display for the radio. Remote start only works from close up, and only works half of the time (never used this on the GT though, could just be my car).

Last edited by oshia86; 01-05-2011 at 02:38 PM.
Old 01-05-2011, 04:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

If your suspension is clunking more than likely the front lower control arms are worn out and they are covered under warranty. I had mine replaced and no more clunking.

The trans shifting can be greatly improved with a trans tune, but I don't know of a tune for the V6 trans, just for the V8 trans. After tuning mine with the Superchips tuner it'll chirp the tires when it hits 2nd and 3rd gear at WOT. At light throttle it shifts softer like stock but much quicker.

If you burn a CD with MP3 songs on it the radio will display artist and song title. It won't display that info when listening to the radio though, since they don't broadcast radio data in Australia it wasn't a feature built into the radio.

The range on my remote start is very good and works all the time, so you need to see the dealer about getting a free key fob replacement. It's covered under the 3yr/36K warranty.
Old 01-05-2011, 05:05 PM
11 Second Club

Can you get XM in them? How is the stereo?
Old 01-05-2011, 05:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

XM is available as an option on the G8. The stereo sounds really good for a factory unit once you fine tune the audio settings. The rear deck has 2 subwoofers driven by a separate amp that has an adjustable bass boost. I turned mine all the way up then disabled EQ in the radio settings so I can adjust the treble and bass separately.
Old 01-05-2011, 08:26 PM
TECH Veteran

If you go into "Engineering Mode" there is a inst MPG display.
Old 01-05-2011, 08:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

To enter Engineering Mode press & hold the left scroll wheel on the steering wheel then start the car.
Old 01-06-2011, 08:30 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by RedHotG8
If your suspension is clunking more than likely the front lower control arms are worn out and they are covered under warranty. I had mine replaced and no more clunking.

The trans shifting can be greatly improved with a trans tune, but I don't know of a tune for the V6 trans, just for the V8 trans. After tuning mine with the Superchips tuner it'll chirp the tires when it hits 2nd and 3rd gear at WOT. At light throttle it shifts softer like stock but much quicker.

If you burn a CD with MP3 songs on it the radio will display artist and song title. It won't display that info when listening to the radio though, since they don't broadcast radio data in Australia it wasn't a feature built into the radio.

The range on my remote start is very good and works all the time, so you need to see the dealer about getting a free key fob replacement. It's covered under the 3yr/36K warranty.
I will stop by the dealer today and check on it.

XM is available as an option on the G8. The stereo sounds really good for a factory unit once you fine tune the audio settings. The rear deck has 2 subwoofers driven by a separate amp that has an adjustable bass boost. I turned mine all the way up then disabled EQ in the radio settings so I can adjust the treble and bass separately.
I should have figured this out. Same deal as the GTO.

To enter Engineering Mode press & hold the left scroll wheel on the steering wheel then start the car.
Cool, thanks.

I should do some research on these cars. I knew the in's and out's of the GTO, but I've not put the time into the G8.
Old 01-06-2011, 09:33 PM
On The Tree

+1 and, if you're looking for that little bit extra for not too much money, get some Polk DB651s speakers for the doors. That's my current weekend project (parts are here, now just need some time).
Old 01-07-2011, 07:00 AM

My goodness where do I begin

Sunroof: Not worth it. It tends to creak and requires periodical lubrication of the rubber/felt surround.

Steering wheel vibration: There is no cure all for this. An absolute must is a good road force balance and ensure all the lub nuts are torqued to 125 ft/lbs

Lower Control Arms: There's been lots of failures with the original ones. Redesigned ones have been bullet proof.

That's pretty much it. You get what you pay for with this car. It's go pretty crappy thin paint with a soft clear coat and cheap interior materials. On the flip side it's fun as hell to drive and it's focused on performance. I have no regrets and with all the suspension mods it rivals the Euro's in handling.
Old 01-07-2011, 08:41 AM
On The Tree

As for the 'love it' side of the equation... the performance potential of the drivetrain cannot be denied. Very simple mods and a transmission tune yield excellent results. Crack it open and it becomes an LS2 with LS3 top end with all the 'goodness' that entails. My heads are 821 casting fer cryin' out loud. Take out DOD and give it a cam so she can breath then hold on tight...
Old 01-07-2011, 09:10 AM
Launching!

I haven't had any issues with my sunroof. I have to find time to go by the dealership and check on my key fob though, that sob annoys me to no end.
Old 01-07-2011, 06:34 PM
Teching In

Likes: The overall look inside and out. Decent power delivery stock. Trunk space. Factory Sport wheels are easy to maintain.

Dislikes: front grill is hard to clean and keep new looking. Parking brake feel cheap. The Nerf material of the door handles. Being pretty much suck with keeping the factory head unit. The subwoofers sucks donkey nads. No factory donut. Gas mileage. Trunk release is in the glove box. Non of the 6 signal bulbs are simple to get to. Seat Bolsters are non-functional. Paint of the metal doesnt match the paint on the plastic. Yellowish head lights and foglights. Plastic part removal is not intuitive.

I know there are more dislikes than likes, but I still like the car overall, especiallu after getting some things painted, more power, new wheels, and soon to have swaybars and stereo system replacements.
Old 01-08-2011, 12:15 PM
Teching In

the only things the car does not have that i wish it did have-memory seats, ram air hood, no spare tire, and levers instead of the weird ***** for the recliner.
Old 01-08-2011, 12:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I like the performance and handling as well as the ride quality. I dislike the cheap plastic on the interior and the thin paint that gets rock chips very easily. The positives by far outweight the negatives.

Quick Reply: What do you love and hate about your G8