Pontiac G8 2008-09 & Chevrolet SS 2014+ LSX based RWD 4-door sedans

Pontiac G8 WOW!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2011, 10:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RedHotG8
I have a new Garmin with bluetooth, so I can talk hands free through my cell phone, which also has a GPS too.
Lol are you implying that Bluetooth functionality is not possible in our cars?

FYI for the SS sisters: Impala owners should be able to pick up '09+ Impala VCIMs to add factory Bluetooth. Should be a direct swap. The same VCIM might work for the Monte Carlo since the two cars are so similar.

GXPs should in theory (I have to recheck the schematics) be able to pick up '09+ TrailBlazer VCIMs or ever '09+ Corvette VCIMs.

For those uninterested in OnStar, you can replace it with a complete Bluetooth solution (plug and play) which works [somewhat] like stock: http://www.costartech.com/pb/products/bluestar.html

I had a 2004 GTP CompG so I'm aware of the Corvette features they share. So how did those light brackets work out that I made for you?
So why were you touting all those "features" as if they were magical and unattainable?

As for the brackets, I haven't had a chance to mess with them other than bolt one to the projector to see if it fits. It does but it looks like it touches one corner if ever so slightly (nothing the dremel couldn't handle).
Old 02-09-2011, 10:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm not implying anything or saying these features aren't available on other cars, I was just stating the facts about the G8. The 2009.5 G8's have bluetooth from the factory, and there's a guy that offers reprogrammed bluetooth modules for the G8's that don't have bluetooth.
Old 02-09-2011, 10:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

You can also check some things like transmission temp, battery charge level, oil life remaining and some other neat stuff by going into engineering mode. To do that push & hold the left scroll button on the steering wheel while you start the car. Once the motor starts release the scroll wheel and use it to scroll up & down through the various stats. To exit engineering mode push the button next to it or just shut off the motor.
I knew that, I'm going to buy the hacked atari gauge from SAS.com
Old 02-09-2011, 10:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

A friend of mine installed the hacked atari gauges and broke some plastic clips removing the dash trim, so be careful when you do it. I made a custom trim plate to go over the atari gauges in my car and it looks good, so I'm just leaving them as is.
Old 02-10-2011, 12:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

A friend of mine installed the hacked atari gauges and broke some plastic clips removing the dash trim, so be careful when you do it. I made a custom trim plate to go over the atari gauges in my car and it looks good, so I'm just leaving them as is.
That sucks, I have a friend installing mine once I get it, he's a car audio installer and has all the dash trim tools.
Old 02-10-2011, 10:36 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by GXP25
Lol, we have all of that, plus the G-meter.

We also have the ability to subscribe to OnStar's turn-by-turn; pretty much all GM vehicles with a DIC can.

The factory NAV is a better option because there's no subscription and the NAV discs are always updated.

Another neat thing is that we can pick up a few things that are made for the Corvette since we share NAVs, HUDs, and Class 2: GM PAL and the DashTronix radar detector (screenshot).

Do tell how this is possible on our cars!
Old 02-10-2011, 10:39 AM
TECH Apprentice

It's a module that routes the detector you already have through the HUD, but the MCSS lacks that feature.
Old 02-10-2011, 01:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

So it can't be added to the IMSS and MCSS's? And does anybody have pictures of this installed? I'd love to see this .
Old 02-10-2011, 06:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

You need a Class 2 vehicle with our HUD.

http://www.dashtronix.com/uploads/In..._pictrures.pdf
Old 02-10-2011, 10:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

never thought i would say this but i have started lookin at G8's online and seriously contemplating on trading the GXP in
Old 02-10-2011, 10:22 PM
TECH Apprentice

I've said it before and I'll say it again, only G8 I'll give up my GXP for is a GXP, manual, of course.
Old 02-10-2011, 10:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by DP 08 GXP
never thought i would say this but i have started lookin at G8's online and seriously contemplating on trading the GXP in
After I test drove a G8 I just had to have one. I really liked my 04 CompG but the G8 was even better.

As for the stick shift, I don't feel it's necessary with the 6-speed auto with full manual mode, specially after the trans is tuned. I had 3 Camaros that were stick shift and I don't miss it at all.
Old 02-10-2011, 11:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

After I test drove a G8 I just had to have one. I really liked my 04 CompG but the G8 was even better.

As for the stick shift, I don't feel it's necessary with the 6-speed auto with full manual mode, specially after the trans is tuned. I had 3 Camaros that were stick shift and I don't miss it at all.
i think i may just go test drive one for ***** and giggles for now...i am getting married in may so it wont be til possibly the end of this year if i go with a g8...havent done a lot of research on the G8 but was wondering if they had any common issues like the LS4's has?
Old 02-10-2011, 11:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

The only problem I had after 38,000 miles is the front lower control arms had to be replaced under warranty. Some other common problems are a vibration at highway speeds, but that's usually tire related. Some have had a leaking rear main engine seal and some a 2-3 shift flare, but those are also covered under warranty.

There's a few minor issues like a CEL from a bad gas cap, the battery not holding the charge if the car sits for a while, and some have had the power steering pump fail. The drivetrain is bullet proof with bolt-on mods, since it's basically the same as the 6.0 GTO and the 6.0 Corvettes.
Old 02-11-2011, 06:44 AM
TECH Apprentice

We have full manual mode, as well, it's cool and all, but my left foot and right hand are still bored, I miss having a clutch.
Old 02-11-2011, 03:04 PM
TECH Resident

The only problem I had after 38,000 miles is the front lower control arms had to be replaced under warranty. Some other common problems are a vibration at highway speeds, but that's usually tire related. Some have had a leaking rear main engine seal and some a 2-3 shift flare, but those are also covered under warranty.

There's a few minor issues like a CEL from a bad gas cap, the battery not holding the charge if the car sits for a while, and some have had the power steering pump fail. The drivetrain is bullet proof with bolt-on mods, since it's basically the same as the 6.0 GTO and the 6.0 Corvettes.
Just out of curiosity, how are the V6 models?
Old 02-11-2011, 03:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

Slow and not worth paying 2 grand less for?
Old 02-11-2011, 03:19 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Battle_Ravage
Slow and not worth paying 2 grand less for?
Used? It seems they're a lot less. Also, isn't it the same engine as the CTS?
Old 02-11-2011, 03:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by RickAKATed10
Just out of curiosity, how are the V6 models?
They have the same problems as the V8 model, except for the rear main seal leak and the trans 2-3 shift flare. I have never heard of anyone having any problems with the motor or trans in the V6 G8 so it seems like a solid drivetrain.
Old 02-11-2011, 03:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by RickAKATed10
Used? It seems they're a lot less. Also, isn't it the same engine as the CTS?
Yes it is, they both use the LY7 V6. There's very few mods for that motor, so if you want to make it faster it won't happen.

Quick Reply: Pontiac G8 WOW!!!