Pontiac G8 2008-09 & Chevrolet SS 2014+ LSX based RWD 4-door sedans

Ready to burn this car to the ground

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2012, 11:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If they haven't offered to fix the LCA's just look up the bulletin# on here and take it in, if it's still under factory warranty, they'll fix it. They did here anyway, no questions asked.
Old 02-14-2012, 08:03 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

**UPDATE**

Talked to the dealer this morning.

They are going to replace the LCA's and they said the vibration and noise is a bad cat converter. Now im not the sharpest tool in the shed, but the noise I can understand, but how does a bad cat make the whole car vibrate and shake?

We shall see if it fixes it, I dont think it will, but we'll see.
Old 02-14-2012, 09:22 AM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Might want to document this on www.gminsidenews.com in this section: http://www.gminsidenews.com/forums/f31/
Old 02-14-2012, 09:25 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by demonspeed
Might want to document this on www.gminsidenews.com in this section: http://www.gminsidenews.com/forums/f31/
May do that later, I've got this thread on G8board.com as well.
Old 02-14-2012, 10:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Did you run a carfax on it? Possibly it's been in an accident?
Old 02-14-2012, 11:23 AM
TECH Senior Member

1 owner clean carfax
Old 02-14-2012, 11:25 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Tainted
**UPDATE**

Talked to the dealer this morning.

They are going to replace the LCA's and they said the vibration and noise is a bad cat converter. Now im not the sharpest tool in the shed, but the noise I can understand, but how does a bad cat make the whole car vibrate and shake?

We shall see if it fixes it, I dont think it will, but we'll see.
I had the shaking/brake pulsating too and it was totally related to the control arms. I would agree that the cat probably has nothing to do with that. Anyway, good luck.
Old 02-14-2012, 09:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

i paint cars for a living at a body shop that pushes 20 cars a week and 1 a week is out of pocket not claimed a clean carfax means **** and the worse part is those people try and cut corners the most and most shops will let it happen
Old 02-15-2012, 08:52 AM
TECH Senior Member

Yea carfax is only good if its reported.

I used to buy total loss cars and repair them, no signs of ever being wrecked.
Old 02-15-2012, 11:20 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Tainted
Yea carfax is only good if its reported.

I used to buy total loss cars and repair them, no signs of ever being wrecked.
I'd pull a panel or two to check for damage. I bought a GM certified 2006 GTO with 1200 miles on it. The car was flawless. After I had the car for about 6 months we pulled the backseat and the rear panels to run some
wires. The passenger side rear quarter was full of rust. Seems the car
was in an accident and it was never reported. Dealer took the car back.

I wouldn't trust a carfax.
Old 02-15-2012, 11:28 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by edmanet
I'd pull a panel or two to check for damage. I bought a GM certified 2006 GTO with 1200 miles on it. The car was flawless. After I had the car for about 6 months we pulled the backseat and the rear panels to run some
wires. The passenger side rear quarter was full of rust. Seems the car
was in an accident and it was never reported. Dealer took the car back.

I wouldn't trust a carfax.
Ill have to check if we ever get the car back from the dealer
Old 02-15-2012, 01:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

**Update**

Dealer called and said we could pick the car up tomorrow! So thats at least some good news. they hadn't done the work yet, but said it would be done tonight, and they wanted to keep it till morning when a few of the other people could drive it and make sure it's good this time. So I guess tomorrow afternoon we'll know a bit more, and hopefully have some positive news.

**Replacing all 4 control arms
**Aligning.. again lol
**Replacing the cats (I assume this entails a full mid section?)

At any rate, hopefully the noise and vibration was the exhaust, but im stiil a bit leary!
Old 02-16-2012, 01:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Got the car back today, with *mostly* good news to report.

So final verdict and what they replaced:
Entire X pipe assembly, sure enough this fixed the noise and vibration. Apparently quite a large chunk of the honeycomb material had broken off. Glad it didnt end up being something driveline related!

All 4 control arms, and caster arms. Im glad they finally did this! I could always hear a noise, but apparently the shop manager prior didnt think it was neccessary. Well anyways (he was wrong) the pop and clunk in parking lots is gone, and the car feels much better with the steering. not so sloppy and jerky. HOWEVER the car still seems to drift to the right slightly. We are probably going to try and see if tires will cure this problem sicne these don't have much longer to go. Hoping maybe the dealer will put the tires on, or at least split some of the cost to correct this finally little drift problem.
Old 02-16-2012, 01:25 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Strange. Around the 25-30K mile mark of my car it had the same drifting issue but it is completely gone. Perhaps the car just needs to settle in some.

Sounds like you are almost there but still need to address the interior issues. Sucks your car had so much BS wrong with it.
Old 02-16-2012, 02:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

You're not the original owner, I don't think you can lemon law it. As far as 90% of your problems, sounds like the technician not the car, find a new dealer and see if their shop is any better. Also sounds like whoever owned it before, raw dogged the living **** out of it and the dealership(as ******* stupid as some of them are) don't care about the drivetrain issues, it looks good and they buy it cheap and they can flip it for a real good price. Sell it and buy another one. What dealership did you purchase from and is that the dealer you keep taking it back too? Have you called GM customer service yet? You need too, and if it was a GM certified used car, it can't be certified, it didn't have an owner's manual and was missing emblems, the owner's manual must be present and all insignia's in place.......sounds like the dealership is a bunch of hacks, glad I never got stuck working at a place like that, I've been fortunate to work at wonderful dealerships that actually do take care of customers and you get fired for leaving screws out and ******* **** up or Certifying a piece of **** car. Did you get the "GM Certified Used Car" worksheet when you bought the car? You're supposed too.
And the reason I bring all of this up is not to start **** but, this is stuff you are supposed to have if you buy a GM Certified, I'd go up there and ask for the worksheet, if they "don't" have it, call GM customer service, there should be one on file for that VIN somewhere in GM's system. The dealership may bullshit you, but as of a year ago the standard was still the same. The dealership HAD to keep a copy of all paperwork on file for at least 5 years of every vehicle they worked on, even if all they did was plug a tire on that car. Get your paperwork you're owed and go from there, figure out what's missing and what they have lied to you about, **** like this just flies all over me, gives the ones of us that actually take our jobs seriously and take pride in our work a bad name.

Last edited by 91sonomast; 02-16-2012 at 02:24 PM.
Old 02-16-2012, 02:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Ive got a 172 point certified pre owned checklist and the carfax blah blah blah

The interior issues were fixed a while back, I was just giving a collective list of all the things gone wrong. If we can fix this final drift and hopefully tires will correct this we can be happy with the car.

This was bought at Stoops buick gmc in plainfield IN
Old 02-16-2012, 03:35 PM
TECH Veteran

There are lemon laws for used vehicles but they are highly variable from state to state.
Old 02-17-2012, 01:15 AM
TECH Apprentice

Well hopefully they get you taken care of. I love the G8's, if the economy wouldn't have tanked in '08, I would have a silver GXP, $40k fully loaded, you just can't beat that. These cars don't look very big, but it's amazing how roomy and comfortable they are, 4 adults can fit comfortably, like 10-12 hour drive comfortable.
Old 02-17-2012, 09:41 AM
TECH Senior Member

well the first time we went to look at this G8 they had mine (gt) and a black one (GXP) Well the night we went to buy the car we were going to go for the GXP but someone else was there at the same time buying the GXP so we settled for the GT.

FYI The guy who bought the GXP had control arms, strut bearings, and caster arms replaced also. Also a CPO car
Old 02-17-2012, 03:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

**UPDATE AGAIN**

So went and jacked up the car just a moment ago to check out the work they did on the control arms, cat blah blah blah.

So heres what I see (or rather noticed) After seeing a picture of what a G8 GT midsection SHOULD look like with a mid muffler and 2 additional cats this is what I found!

FYI This is what it SHOULD look like:

I have NO MID MUFFLER, NO ADDITIONAL CATS, and aX PIPE half *** welded in!!!!!

Don't get me wrong we wanted to modify this car at some point (like after the warranty is up!!!) but WTF!!! This wasnt disclosed at all!! Now im wondering if the PCM has been tuned to accomadate for the K&N CAI and all this exhaust work??!!

Quick Reply: Ready to burn this car to the ground