Pontiac G8 2008-09 & Chevrolet SS 2014+ LSX based RWD 4-door sedans

Ready to burn this car to the ground

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2012, 08:52 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Ready to burn this car to the ground

Bought it Nov 20ish 2011 CERTIFIED USED with 19,000miles and so far heres everything thats been wrong:

Windsheild wiper mangled, and cowl came loose.

Radio had no screws it in and just about fell out of the dash.

All the interior trim peices around console came off because of all the missing pins.

Had the above fixed (or so we thought) go to NC and what happens? the dumbass tech that fixed the radio didnt bother ordering any new pins and left a few screws missing alying in the carpet and all the pannels fell off AGAIN

The prior dipshit took all the badges off and no owners manual either

The night we brought it home, the horn was unbolted, banging the **** out of the header.

The wire loom was totally unclpped and dangling down by the header as well.

The lifters tick very loudly at start up

Used a quart of oil thus far in only 5k miles

The lower control arms have been "popping" and clunking

Vibration/shake in steering wheel and pulsation in the brakes

The blower motor randomly blows harder momentarilly then stops

car has had FOUR alignment and car still pulls either left/right

Dealer replacing front strut bearings etc because of "memory steer" complaints

Now we have a new problem!! When you start the car cold and put it in D the car shakes and vibrates BAD and makes an AWFUL grinding groaning noise for 10-30 seconds then goes away. Seems to be in conjuction with the transflare and 2-3 problem..

Car currently has 24k miles. So in 5k miles we have had all these problems, countless trips back to the dealer, 3 rental cars, time wasted etc.

We are about ready to see if the stealership will either buy this car back or I'm afraid we are gonna have to sue and lemon law this POS.

Anyone else go through all this? Did you end up lemon lawing the car? Dealership offer to swap car/buy back?

Last edited by Tainted; 02-17-2012 at 03:35 PM.
Old 02-09-2012, 10:29 AM
TECH Junkie

I went through this with my TBSS, not these problems but one problem that was worse. I'd be cruising on the highway around 70-80 and for no reason Traction Control and Stibaltrack would turn on and lock up one or a few of the wheels - the best I could do was control it at that speed, BUT image locking up the brakes up at that speed and you can not turn them off until they completely stopped me...

Went back to the dealership three times and finally spoke with my lawyer, told the dealership that I did speak with him, not even five minutes later the owner of the dealership sat down with me and offered me a NEW 2010 GMC 1500 Sierra SL as long as I never said anything; so I will not say who the dealer was.

I know what you are going through, it sucks! Keep on top of the dealership and they will work with you. I was not expecting a new truck, I just wanted my money back minus the mileage.

Keep us posed!
Old 02-09-2012, 11:57 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wow hate you got a bad one. mines 76,000 miles and just as tight as the day i bought it. I'm guessing the previous owner tinkered with it huh ? I'd be taking that back to the dealership and they would be buying it back
Old 02-09-2012, 12:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Well just called to check on the car.

They have the front strut bearing and plates replaced, and have done another alignment. Service mngr felt the vibration and they are going to let it cool down again and hook it up to the computer when it does it.

One tech suggested we had "bad winter gas" for the vibration laugh! The service mngr figured that was total BS and put someone else on the job.

I guess we shall see how this goes...
Old 02-09-2012, 06:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

That's crazy! Someone had to mess with that car previously. I've had mine since new in 09 and I've done the control arms and strut bushings, per the bulletins. That's it, no other issues. I hope they get u fixed up!
Old 02-09-2012, 10:51 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 206 Likes on 173 Posts

They should have replaced the lower control arms when doing the strut bushings and such before aligning it! There is a TSB on that and your front end problems will likely not be cured until that's done.

A lot of LS motors (and even V6's) have lifter tick when cold and although it doesn't sound great it doesn't correlate to problems. Our Montana van started doing it at about 30k and it has 156k now.

Previous owner obviously messed with the car and that's the source of some of your problems. We have had none of these issues with my wife's G8.
Old 02-10-2012, 01:24 AM
TECH Veteran

The steering, front suspension, brakes and lifter tick issues seem to affect many G8s. A few people on another forum I read bought them new and had similar issues.

If the steering vibrates regularly on them it can be next to impossible to remedy. I would also stay away from any specialty car that has been modded or customized in any way, it indicates abuse and can be expensive to put back to stock.

My G8 hasn't had any of these issues and hopefully won't, the warranty is done in June.
Old 02-10-2012, 12:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

well still havent heard from the dealer today. I take that as bad news and they ahvent found/solved the noise and vibration problem.
Old 02-10-2012, 02:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

*UPDATE*

Went to pick the car up a couple hours ago. They replaced the strut bushing and bearings on both sides and did another alignment. They also said the noise and vibration was the exhaust.

Well we go outside to get our car and start it up.

Vibrations, and the noise is even louder now. We went ahead and test drove it. The noise and vibration now is worse, and continues some while the car is in moton! Also noticed that the lifters were claking much louder than usual too. It was cold outside, but even after the car warmed up some it was a very audible claking ticking sound especially in the lower rpm's.

The steering felt tighter with less slop, but there is still a drift and uncertainty to it. i understand some of our worse roads are grooved badly and the car will track some, but this is much more than what should be.

So we took the keys right back inside, had the service writer (who once again is doing a great job and listened to the noise and understood right away) give us our rental car back and write up nother work order. We shall see come next week now what they have to say.
Old 02-10-2012, 02:47 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What a nightmare. And I used to think my car had issues...
Old 02-10-2012, 03:20 PM
Teching In

Almost 30K on mine and is not an ounce of an issue! Sounds like the car has been molested by previous owner, and unfortunately the stealership half assed certified it. I would possibly call GM if you don't get anything resolved. Good luck though!
Old 02-10-2012, 04:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

What would be a direct number to GM i had it but lost it.
Old 02-10-2012, 04:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

We are going to give the dealer every opportunity first to try and resolve this. Its more time, hassel, and money not to. and these steps must be taken to use the lemon law or magnussun moss act as well. Hopefully it wont come to that, as we like the g8, but im truely at this point kind of afraid to take this car back. What will be wrong next?
Old 02-10-2012, 04:42 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All you have to do is call GM Customer Service and they will open a case and assign you a regional manager who will attend to your case.

It didn't really fix any of my issues though. GM just won't help you with any of the following:
  • Steering wheel shake.
  • Belt squeak.
  • AC belt jumping.
Old 02-10-2012, 09:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

I've got this same thread over on G8board, im hoping one of the GM service reps will see all of this and offer some type of aid or a general direction we need to go with this if a sufficient outcome cant be met with the dealer first.
Old 02-11-2012, 08:18 AM
TECH Regular

I had these issues. I replaced the tires and wheels and the vibration went away. Under warranty the lifters and cam were replaced and no engine noise now. They replaced the front control arm & bushings so no more thump noises when hitting bumps or potholes. Car is running flawless now.

Angel
Old 02-11-2012, 10:07 AM
TECH Senior Member

We've mentioned the LCA's several times but they have yet to offer to replace them.
Old 02-11-2012, 10:12 AM
TECH Regular

That's crazy, all I did was mention it and my dealer ordered the entire kit. I guess dealers are all different.

Angel
Old 02-11-2012, 12:25 PM
9 Second Club

You're in a big city, there must be multiple dealers. Maybe try another? Either that or call GM, don't wait on them to make the first move. If you want it fixed, be proactive.
Old 02-11-2012, 01:03 PM
Teching In

Sorry you are having problems. I recommend Ray Skillman Southside Buick GMC on 31 in Greenwood. I had the control arms replaced by them with no questions asked. They are the best service department in the Indianapolis area for these cars based on my experience as well as other G8 owners who directed me there. Service manager's name is Jamie. He is a former GTO/G8 owner and I would ask for him and tell him what you've been dealing with. I understand you may be stuck with the dealership you bought from to get some of this resolved, but for warranty work I would take it to them.

Last edited by SportRedSS; 02-11-2012 at 01:13 PM.

Quick Reply: Ready to burn this car to the ground