Pontiac G8 2008-09 & Chevrolet SS 2014+ LSX based RWD 4-door sedans

taking out DOD, keeping it GM only

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2013, 04:37 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default taking out DOD, keeping it GM only

So my lifters are starting to get louder, I am really considering the idea of getting rid of the DOD since I just got another DD. I don't need the G8 to be really fast since the wife will be driving it. So my idea is to pretty much swap out everything DOD related and put in only GMPP, maybe except the hardware. I don't feel like dropping 1300 bucks on a delete kit, the ls9 cam is fairly cheap and I think the ls6 is too (havn't really checked yet).

I want to keep this as simple and cheap as possible, but it needs to be reliable.

Any suggestions?
Old 01-14-2013, 07:47 PM
On The Tree

What's your mileage? Any mods to the engine yet? It might just be time for a valve adjustment and make sure everything is torqued to spec, the car is now 4-5 years old. Personally, a delete kit seems very common and recommened, but it depends if your trying to squeeze every ounce of power out, or just looking for a little change. Any bolt ons? How about engine management changes? Could be cheaper with better results without risking ruining the balance of the DOD components by upgrading the cam and changing internal controls.
Old 01-14-2013, 10:14 PM
On The Tree

car just passed 48k, and the only non-stock thing is a homemade cold air intake, I only need it to be reliable, I bought the other car to have fun with it I need the G8 to take me anywhere. Valve adjustment didn't even came to mind since its only on start ups, cold ones for now, but its progressively getting worse.
Old 01-15-2013, 12:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gorge
car just passed 48k, and the only non-stock thing is a homemade cold air intake, I only need it to be reliable, I bought the other car to have fun with it I need the G8 to take me anywhere. Valve adjustment didn't even came to mind since its only on start ups, cold ones for now, but its progressively getting worse.
the car has 100k powertrain warrenty on it from GM, put the stock air intake on and bring it to the dealer and have them replace the lifters for free and keep on moving.....
Old 01-15-2013, 05:17 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by thechef
the car has 100k powertrain warrenty on it from GM, put the stock air intake on and bring it to the dealer and have them replace the lifters for free and keep on moving.....
can it be any GM dealer? the dealer I bought it from (used car not new) its like 4 hours away, I have about 6 GM dealers within 15 minutes of my house
Old 01-15-2013, 07:52 PM
Launching!

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Yes, it can be any GM dealer.
Old 01-15-2013, 07:55 PM
On The Tree

going to drop it off tomorrow, thanks man I wasn't aware of the 100k warranty
Old 01-15-2013, 08:40 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by gorge
going to drop it off tomorrow, thanks man I wasn't aware of the 100k warranty
Any GM Dealer can service warranty related work. Please keep us updated on your vehicle status. Feel free to get in touch if you have any questions or concerns. If you send a PM, please include your VIN#, name, situation, contact information, name of dealership, and the current mileage. I hope this situation is resolved quickly for you.

Matt,

GM Customer Assistance

Quick Reply: taking out DOD, keeping it GM only