Pontiac G8 2008-09 & Chevrolet SS 2014+ LSX based RWD 4-door sedans

Normal Cat Temperatures 09 GT

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2013, 09:17 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Normal Cat Temperatures 09 GT

Well recently I swear I've been smelling a faint sulfur smell from my car. I was figuring maybe the battery was going or I just got a tank of gas with high sulfur content. Anyway after a few more tanks I still seem to get the smell every once in awhile. Its not very pungent like a murdered cat, just like the cats are working over time, as in a car running a bit too rich. No CEL's though.

Any way I figured I'd monitor my cat temps via OBDII scanner and in normal around town driving they seem fine, anywhere from 1,050 to 1,400. However, when I tested on the highway yesterday I was seeing temps closing in on 1,700 degrees and still rising. Mind you this was at 70-75 mph for around 8 miles or so and I only light accelerated at around 2,500rpms onto the highway.

Seems high from highway driving that's taking place under 2,000rpms. I'm also going to do a similar test with my girl's LS2 GTO just to see what type of temps the scanner will give me on her car. Anyway, does anyone else ever monitor there temps/do these seem excessive?

Oh and the car is a totally stock 09 GT
Old 06-14-2013, 11:58 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 206 Likes on 173 Posts

My wife's GT cats were stinky for the first 15k or so ... I kept meaning to take it to the dealer for the problem, but never got around to it. Beyond that, they seemed to settle down and I honestly just forgot about the issue.
Old 06-16-2013, 11:50 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks.

The car is still under CPO warranty so I'm taking it in for one other thing and will bring the issue up then.

They are definitely running much hotter than my girl's GTO though, probably about 300+ degrees hotter on the highway.
Old 06-16-2013, 11:15 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 206 Likes on 173 Posts

I'll tell you one thing ... be careful when you're changing your oil! You'd think I'd learn my lesson, but every time I change the oil on this car, I manage to brush up against the left side cat. That thing is HOT and I have the torched skin to prove it.

In other words, my experience may confirm your observations: on some of these cars they may be overheating.

Quick Reply: Normal Cat Temperatures 09 GT