Pontiac G8 2008-09 & Chevrolet SS 2014+ LSX based RWD 4-door sedans

Shift Flare

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2013, 01:11 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Shift Flare

Who has addressed a 2-3 **** flare in their G8 GT? What was done to correct it and what were the results? Im experiencing a significant flare in the 2-3 shift. It comes and goes, but seems to be primarily when cold, or light throttle. I feel like im slowly burning up my trans every time it does this flare crap.

I know there is a TSB for seals but I am sure the dealer will go with the ever present "reflash" to correct the problem. Im just curious what has worked for those who have had the issue (which sounds relatively common)

Feels like a tune issue since sometimes it shifts ok, I would think seals would be an every time thing, but maybe Im wrong.

Thoughts?
Old 09-30-2013, 02:42 PM
Teching In

I have a G8 GT (just got it a couple months ago), and there is definitely something up with the tranny, i've notice a few really hard 2-3 shifts (also part of the TSB). I haven't yet addressed it, but I plan to using the powertrain warranty. I just feel like its going to be hard to get proper dealer attention as it comes and goes.

It's due to leaking seals/gaskets inside the tranny. a computer flash will NOT fix it. THere are a ton of threads on the G8 forum about the issue... seems like if they perform the TSB it fixes it for most, but some people say they still have it!

Good luck! I have a little under year of PowerTrain warranty left to deal with mine!
Old 09-30-2013, 02:44 PM
Teching In

oo found this:

http://www.automd.com/tsb/bulletin_b238788/

2009 Pontiac G8 Power Train Service Bulletin 238788

NHTSA: Action Number: 10026149 Service Bulletin Number: 238788
Report Date:
Aug 01, 2008Component:
Power Train
Summary: Gmc: flare and or harsh 2-3 shifts. This condition may be caused by leaking 1-2-3-4 and 3-5-r clutch fluid seal rings (230). Models cadillacs, chevrolets, gmc, hummers, pontiacs. Equipped with 6l80 (rpo myc) or 6l90 (rpo myd) automati
Old 10-01-2013, 07:53 AM
TECH Addict

Yeah, Ive worked for dealers before in the shop, so I know how they will try to get it out with th least amount of serious work. I hope I dont have to enter the ring with them, but I will if I have to.
Old 10-02-2013, 07:29 AM
Teching In

I feel the same way sometimes. I've found a couple local dealers that are pretty good, so I stick with them for this kind of thing. My understanding is that the condition is worse when its cold -- so I'm sorta waiting for the weather to get cold to see if it can be more easily reproduced so i don't get the "couldn't replicate behavior" report.... but this is a big deal, they have to tear apart the tranny and replace a buncha stuff... let me know how it goes for you, I'll report back when I take mine in!
Old 10-02-2013, 11:23 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by ninety6
I feel the same way sometimes. I've found a couple local dealers that are pretty good, so I stick with them for this kind of thing. My understanding is that the condition is worse when its cold -- so I'm sorta waiting for the weather to get cold to see if it can be more easily reproduced so i don't get the "couldn't replicate behavior" report.... but this is a big deal, they have to tear apart the tranny and replace a buncha stuff... let me know how it goes for you, I'll report back when I take mine in!
Ill keep you posted
Old 10-19-2013, 04:26 PM
Staging Lane

Mine only does it when I start the car and go into D. It's the first 2-3 shift that flares. If I start the car and go to R to back up and then D the 2-3 shift is fine. If I put it into D first it takes about three seconds to the trans to engage drive and you feel it jerk.
Old 10-19-2013, 07:40 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

By flare, do you mean a really strung out shift? That's the only thing I have noticed. I will say that my car holds the gear after letting off sometimes which could be a tuning fix.
Old 01-14-2014, 05:55 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have an issue some times after a wot pull it will stay in the gear and scream rpm and one time i was wot and it just shifted into 4th and i let out and it down shifted back into 3rd.
Idk whats going on with it.

Quick Reply: Shift Flare