Pontiac G8 2008-09 & Chevrolet SS 2014+ LSX based RWD 4-door sedans

VCM USA OTR Intake for G8

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2013, 06:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Well the install went great detailed instructions the fitting was a 9 out of a 10 for me the sails needed some love but other than that amazing stock looking setup. Heres a before dyno sheet the computer kept locking up with the tach lead so just did a mph hp run my car was bone stock 116k even to this plugged air filter with cotton from the fields had no clue lol.

Ive since added the VCM intake a solo axle back and a tune will be done on the dyno ill post up the after numbers.

Last edited by roughneck427; 12-30-2013 at 06:54 PM.
Old 12-30-2013, 06:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

holy crap !!! at first i thought that was your cabin filter , lol

you might want to get some screen material and cover the opening of your vcm to prevent that from happening again
Old 12-30-2013, 06:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah I think that's a good idea it was harvest season and the wife and I took a little trip where there's a lot of cotton its not to often but good insurance deal.
Old 01-08-2014, 04:49 PM
Launching!

If you haven't done so you should head over to the G8Board and become a sponsor there. I ordered my VCM several months back directly from Aussie and I love it
Old 01-08-2014, 04:52 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by 02camaroburn
If you haven't done so you should head over to the G8Board and become a sponsor there. I ordered my VCM several months back directly from Aussie and I love it
We're a sponsor on Grrrr8.net but we will look into G8Board as well. Thanks.

Like Us: Facebook - Twitter - Youtube
Old 04-14-2014, 10:55 PM
Teching In

Do you have the boot that connects the VCM to a Maggie?
Old 04-15-2014, 12:53 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BlakRam
Do you have the boot that connects the VCM to a Maggie?
listed on their site - http://www.improvedracing.com/produc...978544bf384088

chose which you need
Old 04-15-2014, 08:42 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Yup, we have them in stock as mentioned.

Old 08-12-2014, 02:37 PM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I've been trying to research how this compares to the GMM Ramjet, and I've not really found anything solid on the main forums (even when perusing those in Australia). While I appreciate the "shootout" video, that is three years old. I'm going to go with one or the other, but I'd like to be sure to do this just once considering the cost.

Also, does anyone have a picture of the hole left behind in the fender without the filler panel? Not the top radiator pieces, but where the factory air box sat?

Lastly, would it be possible to order the setup without the filter? I've not been a fan of the oiled filters and would prefer to go with an aFe or Airaid dry filter. With that said, is it actually necessary to use the oiled filter to help block the water?

Thanks to anyone who is able to help with these questions

btw, I get a chuckle out of people who think $600 is a lot of money for this. The same people have no problem plunking down $1500 for a set of headers Considering that 25-50hp is provided with these extremely well-engineered intakes, they're actually a bargain. Perspective
Old 08-12-2014, 07:42 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Originally Posted by demonspeed
I've been trying to research how this compares to the GMM Ramjet, and I've not really found anything solid on the main forums (even when perusing those in Australia). While I appreciate the "shootout" video, that is three years old. I'm going to go with one or the other, but I'd like to be sure to do this just once considering the cost.

Also, does anyone have a picture of the hole left behind in the fender without the filler panel? Not the top radiator pieces, but where the factory air box sat?

Lastly, would it be possible to order the setup without the filter? I've not been a fan of the oiled filters and would prefer to go with an aFe or Airaid dry filter. With that said, is it actually necessary to use the oiled filter to help block the water?

Thanks to anyone who is able to help with these questions

btw, I get a chuckle out of people who think $600 is a lot of money for this. The same people have no problem plunking down $1500 for a set of headers Considering that 25-50hp is provided with these extremely well-engineered intakes, they're actually a bargain. Perspective
I thought we had a photo without the infill panel, but now I can't find it. It does leave a bit of a hole there, where the factory intake pipe enters the bumper.

We import them with the filter included, but we can sell you one without the filter for a $50 discount. You'll have to call in to order, however.

Hope that helps!

Old 08-12-2014, 07:58 PM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Thanks for your response, ImprovedRacing. That you even offered the option to save money on a filter-less kit speaks volumes to me that you actually listen to your customers! I just need to do a bit more research as to what dry filter either of those companies make that would work. With that said, I'd also like to know a bit more about the oiled filters actually being necessary to help aid with water repulsion.

Now to find some empirical evidence on the VSP vs. GMM...
Old 08-12-2014, 08:09 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Thanks for your response, ImprovedRacing. That you even offered the option to save money on a filter-less kit speaks volumes to me that you actually listen to your customers! I just need to do a bit more research as to what dry filter either of those companies make that would work. With that said, I'd also like to know a bit more about the oiled filters actually being necessary to help aid with water repulsion.

Now to find some empirical evidence on the VSP vs. GMM...
To be honest we've never experimented with using cellulose filters on an intake like this, but it does make sense that aftermarket oiled filters would be more water resistant. They are also washable, after all.

As far as empirical evidence, we do have dyno charts posted on our website. You just have to find some dyno charts for the other intakes. It's difficult for us to offer input without sounding biased, but the reasoning of most customers that purchase the VCM OTR intakes is that they will typically perform at least as well if not better than the competition while also offering better looks and fitment.

Old 08-12-2014, 08:51 PM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

The issue with the oiled filters had always been that they'd cause the small wires in the MAF sensors to become gunked up. This became a non-issue once GM switched to the slot-style sensor. It was also not really much of an issue 10-20 years ago before people started to get some miles on their vehicles with the oiled filters. But I digress...

I completely respect that you're partial toward the VCM (not sure where I got VSP in my above reply!). To be honest, I like the looks and installation of the VCM over the GMM. With that said, the GMM is apparently identical to the HSV W427 intake, so that certainly counts for something when stating OEM appearance. At the end of the day, however, street/track performance is what I care about the most. I just need to find some more real world results of both.
Old 08-12-2014, 10:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i think the VCM with all the panels looks more stock than the RJ does , also the RJ does not have a radiator cover , you need to source a V6 panel , not sure but id imagine it would need some trim work to fit

with oiled filters , just make sure the filter wasnt over oiled before installing it , mine was dry inside the bag it was wrapped in , and ive had the intake apart a few times and everything has remained dry , granted so far ive only put 5-6k on the intake so far , but id think most oil would get pulled out when new
Old 08-12-2014, 11:29 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

We've never heard of filter oil affecting the MAF sensor either, so long as the filter isn't over-oiled. And even then, it doesn't seem like anything that a little MAF cleaner application wouldn't fix.

Old 08-13-2014, 12:04 AM
TECH Enthusiast

i know k&n has , for a while GM was telling the dealers not to warranty the MAF's on vehicles with k&n intakes , but i know alot of other makes have had issues with over oiled filters oiling down the MAF sensors

ive always looked at the filters before installing them , and i dont think alot of people do which leads to most having problems
Old 08-13-2014, 10:05 AM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

I was actually thinking that I could simply make cleaning the MAF part of the filter cleaning regimen considering how often it seems I'll be cleaning debris from it [the filter] due to its location.

Another question: what pre-filter are people using?
Old 08-13-2014, 10:11 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

I was actually thinking that I could simply make cleaning the MAF part of the filter cleaning regimen considering how often it seems I'll be cleaning debris from it [the filter] due to its location.

Another question: what pre-filter are people using?
Yeah, spraying the MAF with some MAF cleaner whenever you clean the filter is an excellent idea.

Most people don't run a pre-filter, and I'm not aware that there are any available for this filter size. It really isn't necessary for this application. They're more for dusty/sandy environments of vehicles with filters mounted low in the bumper.

Old 02-15-2023, 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by ImprovedRacing
We are very excited to announce that we now have VCM Over-The-Radiator (OTR) intakes for the G8 GT & GXP in stock.

These Australian-made intakes are hands-down the nicest aftermarket intakes available for the G8 when it comes to fit and finish. They fit so well that they are often mistaken for a factory piece.

Looks aside, they also offer some of the best horsepower gains. In this video made by a shop in New Zealand, they were able to make an additional 29.5 crank HP over the factory intake and 55 crank HP with a tune. This was on a Holden Commodore (Australian version of the G8) with a full exhaust.

OTR style intakes offer better horsepower gains because they provide a straight shot into the intake with no bends, they benefit from a ram-air effect, and they feed cooler air in from in front of the radiator. The photo below is a comparison between the VCM intake and Vararam's intake for the G8. You can see there is a massive different in intake and filter size. Vararam's doesn't even come close!

These are also available as a complete kit including the side panels and infill panel to cover the gap left after the removal of the factory intake:

Pricing is $549 with free US shipping for the basic kit, and $649 for the complete kit including the side panels and infill panel. We also have couplers for MAF-less setups and Magnuson superchargers available.

You can use this intake with a 102mm throttle body and 4" MAF housing by replacing the MAF to TB coupler with a 4" coupler.

These intakes can be purchased on our website here: http://www.improvedracing.com/produc...akes-c-48.html

You can also call us at 407-494-3278 to place an order, or post up or PM me if you have any questions. We are happy to help.

Thanks!

Michael @ Improved
Do you carry the 4" coupler to use the VCM intake with a 4" MAF/102mm throttle body?
Old 02-15-2023, 04:03 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Originally Posted by sarjx1
Do you carry the 4" coupler to use the VCM intake with a 4" MAF/102mm throttle body?
There is no coupler available for that, but some customers have been able to stretch the one included over a 102mm TB.

Quick Reply: VCM USA OTR Intake for G8