Pontiac G8 2008-09 & Chevrolet SS 2014+ LSX based RWD 4-door sedans

mods for my L76

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2014, 12:42 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default mods for my L76

Need some ideas for having my car modded. I bought my G8 just over 4 years ago with 4300 miles on it. I have just over 9500 on her today and so far is 100% stock. But that’s about to change. I’m not going to attempt to do the work myself but still want to learn as much as I can in advance. I’m thinking a cam swap (non DOD) I want the car to be a sleeper so no or little lope to it. Next a supercharger and a CAI. I also know there are different pulleys for Magnuson how do I know how much boost I need and how much is safe? Then onto headers and exhaust, are there mufflers that at idle and under light acceleration that will keep the car pretty quiet without much back pressure? I also have hyperacusis a condition where that sound levels over 40 dB cause pain to my left ear. I’m looking at July or so before I have the work done. BTW how is it Ford guys make more HP in a smaller motor? A buddy just bought a 2013 Mustang GT 5.0 and I think he’s got 420 at the crank, I know it’s a DOHC but still a liter smaller and 60 more HP plus the Roush supercharger he wants adds a lot more power than the Magnuson for my L76.. sorry for so many questions I do want to learn thou …thanks…
Old 04-01-2014, 01:51 AM
Teching In

There are many elements to an engine's power production. Bore, stroke, compression, cam specs, cylinder head flow, intake manifold flow, heat management, and plenty of other things can affect the power an engine makes.

In regards to the supercharger, I'd call Magnuson directly and speak with a technician to help you figure out how much boost you can safely run. I imagine it will be something like 6-8 pounds on a stock engine. Did you consider any of the turbo kits on the market?
Old 04-01-2014, 01:50 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Sub-par
There are many elements to an engine's power production. Bore, stroke, compression, cam specs, cylinder head flow, intake manifold flow, heat management, and plenty of other things can affect the power an engine makes.

In regards to the supercharger, I'd call Magnuson directly and speak with a technician to help you figure out how much boost you can safely run. I imagine it will be something like 6-8 pounds on a stock engine. Did you consider any of the turbo kits on the market?
thanks for the reply.... I had given some thought to a turbo and that's why I'm here. I want to weight my options before I start the process of mods I want the most bang for my buck..... so I want to listen to what you guys recommended many of you have already had experience in.. so I'm open to all suggestions thanks again..
Old 04-02-2014, 06:29 AM
Teching In

What is your budget?
Old 04-04-2014, 07:03 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by BlakRam
What is your budget?
10k to start more later ..
Old 04-06-2014, 08:41 PM
TECH Resident

If your looking into a Maggie, this is what I would build
Maggie 1900
DOD delete
LS9 cam (stock drivability on stock converter, very mild lope)
LS9 injectors
LT Headers, catted exhaust, stock mufflers
VCM OTR Intake
Pat G or Dyno Tune
Old 04-08-2014, 02:26 AM
Teching In

Look at my signature and see the mods and gains for each. Only difference from me I would change is 2300 vs 1900. Skip the LS9's and go right to ID850's. you can see where i maxed out my LS9's. Then finish off the fuel system with a ZL1 or CTSV pump. If you have money to burn, look at Squash Performance double pump.
Old 04-08-2014, 04:08 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by BlakRam
Look at my signature and see the mods and gains for each. Only difference from me I would change is 2300 vs 1900. Skip the LS9's and go right to ID850's. you can see where i maxed out my LS9's. Then finish off the fuel system with a ZL1 or CTSV pump. If you have money to burn, look at Squash Performance double pump.
And this is all on stock L76 cam? Reason why you didn't DOD delete and upgrade, just curious.
Old 04-09-2014, 09:21 PM
TECH Addict

With your condition and sound limitations... be real careful what exhaust you put on it. These cars like to drone. Corsa would be a good pick if you want drone free. I have also heard good things if you can get your hands on a GXP axleback...
Old 04-10-2014, 09:35 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Titanws6
And this is all on stock L76 cam? Reason why you didn't DOD delete and upgrade, just curious.
It cost $$$. That is my next major mod. I am very happy with what I have so far.
Old 04-11-2014, 10:23 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by LS1Silverado05
With your condition and sound limitations... be real careful what exhaust you put on it. These cars like to drone. Corsa would be a good pick if you want drone free. I have also heard good things if you can get your hands on a GXP axleback...
just happen to have a set of GXP axlebacks in my garage just haven't had time to put them on yet... my girlfriend had lung cancer and I've spent the past 2 yrs taking care of her 24/7.. they removed the left lower lobe of her lung and she's starting to get around better so now I can get these mods done until now everything else has been on hold.. isn't a cam swap (non DOD) a cure for the drone?

thanks..
Old 04-11-2014, 10:52 PM
Teching In

Why not just start with all the bolt ons and a tune first and have fun with it. It will be a totally different car and give you time to plan the next move.
Old 04-12-2014, 02:02 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There's just more drone with the DOD on. There's plenty drone with a Magnaflow cat back just at freeway speed, then when the DOD kicks on its worse. But yeah drives me nuts. My f body never had any high speed drone.
Old 04-12-2014, 11:01 PM
Teching In

If you take out of auto and manually shift, it will keep DOD from activating.
Old 04-13-2014, 03:21 AM
Teching In

I think with what you're looking for as far as sound goes, start with the stock mufflers and see how they sound. If you can handle a little more, try out the GXP. Both won't drone and I think you can probably handle the GXP mufflers...you don't really hear them unless you get on it. Look at American Racing Headers. It really doesn't get better than that...great quality. There G8 package is headers and all the way back to the axle. The only thing you would need is some axlebacks...which you have 2 sets. Everything is Bolton and easy to install...I've done 2 sets.
Old 04-14-2014, 01:40 PM
Teching In

Talk to Rick Crawford (G8-4-Speed) on here and be done with it. He runs 10.59 @ 129 on all motor. I know lots of FI guys that don't run that fast.
Old 04-16-2014, 07:40 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by rocket69GTP
Talk to Rick Crawford (G8-4-Speed) He runs 10.59 @ 129 on all motor.
A 4000 pound sedan wow that’s amazing.

Quick Reply: mods for my L76