Pontiac G8 2008-09 & Chevrolet SS 2014+ LSX based RWD 4-door sedans

Fresh 402ci Stroker P0101 P0521

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2018, 10:35 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fresh 402ci Stroker P0101 P0521

I have owned my G8 for almost a year, like all GM engines with AFM/DOD oil pressure and lifter issues started to show their face. P0521 popped up one day, so I replaced the sending unit. Once I disconnected the harness I noticed someone has already been chasing a problem, they had replaced the sending unit pigtail using butt connectors....So I ordered a new pigtail and solder/heat shrink the new pigtail in place. Code went away for a few days, popped back on. Checked the screen/filter under the sending unit, it had some trash so I replaced it. The code would not stay gone, so I feared the worst.

I decided it was time to delete the DOD/AFM, I have already been down that road with my truck and I knew what was needed and what I was getting in to. I ordered everything needed, once I started the tear down I noticed someone has been deep off in this motor. Left head looked like your typical 140k parts, discolored, wore out. Right head everything was new...I was concerned at this point, I figured previous owner had a lifter failure and replaced only the side that was ruined. But what they didn't do was inspect the cam. Upon removal of the cam a lobe was gone, cam bearings were trashed. I knew at that point I needed to remove the block and inspect the rest, which turned out every bearing in the motor was ruined.

After everything is said and done I ended up building a 402ci Stroker. I used Texas Speed for my balanced rotating assembly, cam, lifters, oil pump, springs, retainers, etc. Everything went smoothly, no issues at the machine shop, no issues during assembly. Once the motor was assembled and installed, I used HP Tuners and a reputable tuner to get the car back in action. It made decent power for not being fully broke-in (412whp/418tq).

Over the past week I've drove it quite a bit, nearly 250 miles (the only miles on the new setup). Last night the CEL came on, got it home hooked the scanner up P0101 & P0521 (AGAIN) Talked with my tuner, asked him to pull the logs on oil pressure, everything was fine. Told me to replace the sending unit again and see what happens.

I apologize for the long post, I'm trying to give the experienced people of the LS1Tech a quick rundown of the history. I'm trying to figure out what the potential issue could be. I appreciate any insight y'all might have.

Thanks
Old 12-03-2018, 11:00 AM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hopefully this is resolved otherwise I would probably post this on another part of the forum that gets more frequent views.
Old 12-09-2018, 11:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

check ur oil pump o ring on the pick up tube.. sometimes I hear horror stories on causing low oil pressure or no pressure at all