Pontiac G8 2008-09 & Chevrolet SS 2014+ LSX based RWD 4-door sedans

Edmunds First-Drive - Pontiac G8 GT

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2008, 03:17 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Your precious new Camaro will weigh more than this. It's between a GTO and a G8 right now. If I can't find the exact GTO I'm looking for then A G8 will sit behind the Camaro in the driveway.
Old 02-18-2008, 02:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by CamaroSS
Your precious new Camaro will weigh more than this. It's between a GTO and a G8 right now. If I can't find the exact GTO I'm looking for then A G8 will sit behind the Camaro in the driveway.
Really, can you provide a link to those Camaro weight numbers please?
Old 02-19-2008, 08:20 PM
Restricted User

No way in hell the Camaro is going to way more. Same platform, same drivetrain, two less doors. The Camaro should be at least 200lbs lighter. I'm frankly very pleasantly surprised to see the just-under-4000-lbs weight of the G8. I expected 4200 for the G8 and 3800-3900 for the Camaro. Camaro should be more like 3600-3700 in reality.
Old 02-19-2008, 09:45 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by WECIV
LS6 CTSV's are not in warranty or nearly out of it. I put a lot of miles on cars and like them to have warranties.

W
Most V's have a 100k warranty so most are still under warranty.
I like the look of the G8. Looks sharp.
Old 02-20-2008, 01:42 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by hc8719
I do like the G8, but I think GM's making a big mistake.

The Grand Prix started off at $21k, for a near full sized sedan, and for $25k you could get the car fully loaded. The 2008 Grand Prix is rated at 18/28 mpg

The G8 V6 starts off at $27k, though it is fully loaded, gets worse milage, and is still just as fast as the 200HP Grand Prix, which also happens to cost many times less.

I like the way the G8 looks, and I love the interior, but GM should cut some options to make it cheaper...
Yep indeed cut those options:

No power windows - turn a damn crank the windows go up and down.

Traction Control - If you can't launch your car learn

Stabality Control - If you build a car that doesn't turn live with it.

On-Star - keep the roof line clean

Keyless entry - A single key takes up less room than a key phob

Remote Start - Charles Kettering had a great idea. It was called a starter it required a key.

Large Trunk - For christ sake if you and your family go someplace take a
mini-van

420 mile fuel tank - what is that 6-7 hours of driving - fly

Blue, Red, Pink tooth. Big-Mac and other burgers - M/Cycles - and cars require full attention and two hands to handle. Any free hands should be used to keep the chick beside you happy during the trip.

I don't need a 3 year 36K or 5 yr 100K warranty. I keep my car maintained myself

**** can the side air bags also - install a 8 point cage. Proven to be the safest way to crash and walk away.

A grumpy sometimes angry old man and his dog - Jake
Old 02-20-2008, 09:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by johnh
No. The Fully loaded GP will take you over $30K, the GXP starts at just a bit over $30K right now. My 04 GTP stickered over $30K. I guess if you compare NA V6 GP to V6 G8, but the G8 has a much better platform...vs the W-body.
Really, my GP cost $25k sticker, and is just a HUD and 6 disc cd changer away from being fully loaded.

Check out yahoo autos: http://autos.yahoo.com/2007_pontiac_grand_prix/

I reason i mentioned the base GP was that the 200HP v6 is just as fast as the 261 HP V6 in the G8, due to the weight difference. Though the G8 GT is half a second faster than the GP GXP.

The G8 is a nice well equipped car, and $27k shows that, though Pontiac leaves a fairly sized consumer base out of the dark where the GP would have been. A jump from a G6 to a G8 is a sizable gap

I'm not arguing the W body is fantastic either, its a bit outdated. Still I love my GP. As nice as the G8 GT is, I think I'll just a get a GP GXP next, when it starts depreciating after the G8 intro
Old 02-21-2008, 03:07 AM
Launching!

Not usually a fan of the stuff Pontiac puts out because I think the front ends all look the same on all their cars but I actually like the looks of that car...wouldnt own one but they look pretty good...I just hope GM sells a ton so they stay afloat and we have the Camaro for years to come.
Old 02-21-2008, 12:40 PM
Teching In

Default and your point?

Originally Posted by Jakes Dad
Yep indeed cut those options:

No power windows - turn a damn crank the windows go up and down.

Traction Control - If you can't launch your car learn

Stabality Control - If you build a car that doesn't turn live with it.

On-Star - keep the roof line clean

Keyless entry - A single key takes up less room than a key phob

Remote Start - Charles Kettering had a great idea. It was called a starter it required a key.

Large Trunk - For christ sake if you and your family go someplace take a
mini-van

420 mile fuel tank - what is that 6-7 hours of driving - fly

Blue, Red, Pink tooth. Big-Mac and other burgers - M/Cycles - and cars require full attention and two hands to handle. Any free hands should be used to keep the chick beside you happy during the trip.

I don't need a 3 year 36K or 5 yr 100K warranty. I keep my car maintained myself

**** can the side air bags also - install a 8 point cage. Proven to be the safest way to crash and walk away.

A grumpy sometimes angry old man and his dog - Jake

So – it sounds to me like you are not even a little bit interested in the G8.

If you were interested, but ( as some are ) disappointed that it lacks a few specific items ( like HUD, NAV ) that have been offered on the Grand Prix, for example – well I could understand that sort of post.

Yours sounds more like – um – something else.

To a couple of your points:

“I don't need a 3 year 36K or 5 yr 100K warranty. I keep my car maintained myself”

Well not everyone can do ( or wants to do ) all their own maintenance – I have, and I choose not to, anymore.

And the warrantee is ( primarily ) for what breaks or just stops working.
Perhaps you don’t want or need A/C, either – but I do, and if some piece or part buried deep under the dash gives up on me, I want to be able to have someone else diagnose the exact cause & replace the part(s). Particularly given the complexity of new cars. Without paying anything additional for the time or parts.

And if a motor or transmission or LSD goes:
“Ker-Blamo”
I would prefer to ( and am satisfied to pay GM, as part of the negotiated actual transaction price of the car, to ) have someone else foot the bill for a replacement.
Clearly, such drivetrain failures are relatively few.
But I did have the entire transaxle replaced in the last GM sedan I had.
That would not have been cheap.
And does any car currently sold in the US not have at least a 3\36 B2B warrantee?

“420 mile fuel tank - what is that 6-7 hours of driving – fly”

1 - That sort of range offers me some choices regarding when & where I stop for fuel.
2 - And reduces the number of such stops ( a waste of time, in my view) I need to make per trip, per month, etc.
3 - I happen to drive regularly to visit friends that live a long way from an airport.
I prefer not to rent a car, or to have them pick me up.
But we often spend portions of my visits heading in different directions.
Having my own car available is useful.
And, I happen to dislike flying.

“install a 8 point cage”

Hmmm.
Many have already complained about the G8’s weight.
Add that cage = how many pounds?
Plus non trivial cost, I’d expect.
Plus I’d expect some restriction on egress caused by such a cage
& reduction in cabin room.
That’s one reason I want a car the ( interior ) size of a G8. . .

My point is only this:
You appear to be well outside the target market for this car.
Why bother to post here?
What is your point?
I don’t post on sites \ forums dedicated to Honda Civics.
Or on sites dedicated to Ferraris.
I acknowledge that I am not in the target market for either.
And thus, for me to post suggestions that they have too much of one thing or not enough of another would be completely irrelevant.
- Ray
Really curious . . .
Old 02-22-2008, 02:09 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by stockerws6
Really, can you provide a link to those Camaro weight numbers please?
It's just a hunch. The car is large, and bulky. I really don't see it weighing less than this car. I would say +/- 200 is a fair guess, though.
Old 02-27-2008, 10:06 AM
TECH Apprentice

i like it alot. its about time for a decent pontiac again (besides just the gto). a few good cars would be awesome! time for them to get a good performance rep again like they had in the muscle car days! im a fan!
Old 04-23-2008, 04:44 AM
Staging Lane

I'm really surprised people are complaining about the price. I think GM did an amazing job with what they had. The only way this car would get cheaper is if the GM Union was mysteriously slaughtered like the greedy bastards they are and the government revoked their rear-wheel drive penalty so GM could use their new Zeta platform on multiple cars like they planned to to lower the cost.

The car is a stunner. Down right sexy. If it wasn't for the Camaro, I'd get one.
Old 04-23-2008, 05:17 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Hey, I really doubt the weight on the Camaro is going to be as much as the G8. It's smaller, over all, and should have a shorter wheelbase, even though it's on the same platform. Not to mention it's two fewer doors, lower roofline, and not as much in the rear end. The general guess for the Camaro right now is about 3700-3850. Which is a good couple hundred pounds less than the Charger, and just a little more than the Mustang, which comes in around 3600.
Old 04-27-2008, 04:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rayainsw
So – it sounds to me like you are not even a little bit interested in the G8.

If you were interested, but ( as some are ) disappointed that it lacks a few specific items ( like HUD, NAV ) that have been offered on the Grand Prix, for example – well I could understand that sort of post.

Yours sounds more like – um – something else.

To a couple of your points:

“I don't need a 3 year 36K or 5 yr 100K warranty. I keep my car maintained myself”

Well not everyone can do ( or wants to do ) all their own maintenance – I have, and I choose not to, anymore.

And the warrantee is ( primarily ) for what breaks or just stops working.
Perhaps you don’t want or need A/C, either – but I do, and if some piece or part buried deep under the dash gives up on me, I want to be able to have someone else diagnose the exact cause & replace the part(s). Particularly given the complexity of new cars. Without paying anything additional for the time or parts.

And if a motor or transmission or LSD goes:
“Ker-Blamo”
I would prefer to ( and am satisfied to pay GM, as part of the negotiated actual transaction price of the car, to ) have someone else foot the bill for a replacement.
Clearly, such drivetrain failures are relatively few.
But I did have the entire transaxle replaced in the last GM sedan I had.
That would not have been cheap.
And does any car currently sold in the US not have at least a 3\36 B2B warrantee?

“420 mile fuel tank - what is that 6-7 hours of driving – fly”

1 - That sort of range offers me some choices regarding when & where I stop for fuel.
2 - And reduces the number of such stops ( a waste of time, in my view) I need to make per trip, per month, etc.
3 - I happen to drive regularly to visit friends that live a long way from an airport.
I prefer not to rent a car, or to have them pick me up.
But we often spend portions of my visits heading in different directions.
Having my own car available is useful.
And, I happen to dislike flying.

“install a 8 point cage”

Hmmm.
Many have already complained about the G8’s weight.
Add that cage = how many pounds?
Plus non trivial cost, I’d expect.
Plus I’d expect some restriction on egress caused by such a cage
& reduction in cabin room.
That’s one reason I want a car the ( interior ) size of a G8. . .

My point is only this:
You appear to be well outside the target market for this car.
Why bother to post here?
What is your point?
I don’t post on sites \ forums dedicated to Honda Civics.
Or on sites dedicated to Ferraris.
I acknowledge that I am not in the target market for either.
And thus, for me to post suggestions that they have too much of one thing or not enough of another would be completely irrelevant.
- Ray
Really curious . . .

He was being sarcastic, making fun of that other guy who wanted a stripper model. Nobody buys a new car without keyless entry, pw/locks, etc unless they are getting an $11,000 kia.

Quick Reply: Edmunds First-Drive - Pontiac G8 GT