Pontiac G8 2008-09 & Chevrolet SS 2014+ LSX based RWD 4-door sedans

Attack of the Dumbass salesman

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2008, 05:18 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went and looked at 2 today while here in Vegas. They had and orange GT for 33,395 that's after the 1,500 market adjustment. The grey Gt they had was 31,595 no markups. Both had the premium package. So, it's time to start saving.
Old 04-13-2008, 06:42 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my wife doesnt do the car shopping for that reason...she will get walked over..i love catching a salesman ina a BS lie...and makin him eat it..
Old 04-13-2008, 07:29 PM
TECH Addict

Yet another way to boost BMW sales.
Old 04-17-2008, 11:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

10k markup, wow. Insane. I saw a G8 GT out my way for 700 over sticker.

My advice, if you want to wait to buy a GT wait until say mid summer when gas is supposed to hit $4/gal (f--- you oil companies) and the local Pontiac dealerships have a dozen of big old V8s sitting on their lots. They'll be desperate to move them at that point.

Right now they have them marked up because there is always someone out there with a lot of money that has to be the first to have the new car. My one uncle is like that, he has the money and he when wants the car so he pays a lot over sticker for them. I payed 4 grand less for my GP GXP than he did, but he had it before me and was able to pimp it at the family gathering, so I guess it was worth it for him.
Old 04-18-2008, 06:27 AM
TECH Apprentice

I am just so sick of going to GM dealerships for warranty work or purchasing a vehicle. They treat you like a nobody or a criminal everytime you go. It was time to buy a new car for the wife a few years ago, and I went mercedes this time. Very nice helpful people and dealership. I went to look at the G8 GT to replace her car and the salesman was the same way to me as the OP. The cars arent whats hurting Gm its the poor dealership service. I love GM cars and do not want to buy anything else, but please give a reason. The car is only part of the equation.
Old 04-18-2008, 09:58 AM
TECH Addict

I hate hearing that, especially being a Chrysler service advisor. I will say there are just as many jackass "customers" that come out to me that leave bashing me and the dealership because I told them the truth or that something was going to cost money and not be free. It's a two way street when it comes to service. Your expectations and how you treat the person you talk to and how they respond to you or treat you initially makes all the difference in the world. I know from many years of experience that a lot of people think by making a big stink they'll get what they want, which usually does happen because so many "managers" love to give in to appease the customer and then think they're some frickin superhero. You'll never catch me going at it with that approach. I treat people with the same dignity and respect I would hope they would give me. Oh, and I go to church on Sunday so the WWJD stuff is actually on my mind.
Old 04-21-2008, 09:53 AM
Teching In

I'm sorry to hear about your ordeal at that store man. I work for a Pontiac dealer here in north east florida, and we dont have an additional mark up on the vehicle. We just sell them for sticker without any discounts. We sold two yesterday, both being GTs, and would have sold another one to a gm employee. The only thing is they get alot of traffic and sell rather quick for us, so we're making the employees wait for their discount on these cars. Sometimes when you go to a dealer you dont get any service and I dont believe in that. If their is anyway I can help anyone if the florida or south georgia send me a pm. I would be glad to help you with any questions or concerns.
Old 04-29-2008, 10:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

Same crap going on here in Albuquerque! Our local dealer has all of them marked up $3000-5000! One sticker says Limited availability and another says adjusted market value! All the GT's there are going for $35-36,xxx!
Old 04-30-2008, 07:46 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You guys have unbelieveable markups. I have never seen gouging where I live.
Old 04-30-2008, 05:35 PM
TECH Resident

Man, I'm glad I've always had good experiences after all these horror stories.
Old 04-30-2008, 06:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

everyone just needs to remeber.. you dont need to be a rocket scientist to be a salesman

If you can sell average cars to average (non car people) you'll make a decent living. The problem comes in when an enthusiast walks in the door.. they typically could care less what they are selling and "hot new models" only mean $ to them.. so they try to capitalize.

Give the guy a break, you probably wouldnt want his job at that dealership
Old 04-30-2008, 08:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 2002_Z28_Six_Speed
You guys have unbelieveable markups. I have never seen gouging where I live.
man you have no idea. I went to get a TA in 2002 here in Orlando at Macnamara(sp) pontiac at its old location on OBT. They had a Markup on the CETA that would make your head spin, and wouldn't budge on the sticker for the TA's because "they aren't making them anymore and they are going to be classics" I literally laughed in the guys face and said "no wonder GM can only sell a few thousand of them a year" They sat on their lot forever. Luckily I had a friend at Maroone Chevy in Ft Lauderdale and got my SS for almost invoice. Then I chopped almost 5 grand off with my GM points and the famous $1000 coupon. I almost waited for an 03 Cobra.
Old 04-30-2008, 11:05 PM
On The Tree

I went to test drive one over here in southern california. They had two, one was MSRP one was like $2k above stickers. I asked him why it was more and he said its because they brang it from another dealership in the area. So yeah you can get them for MSRP and maybe talk them down less I am not sure. Just find the right dealership and be confident. Learn to haggle and let it be known that you wont take their crap.
Old 05-02-2008, 07:56 AM
Teching In

My dealership has a $2000 markup on a white GT...F them!
Old 05-04-2008, 02:40 PM
TECH Regular

we have a bunch in stock and i have sold a few, and we dont mark up any. if you get gm or supplier discount, its sold at that.
Old 05-04-2008, 08:45 PM
On The Tree

How do you get discounts?
Old 05-08-2008, 12:49 AM
TECH Regular

glad i get employee pricing..mark up out here in vegas are only about 3-4 grand but i wouldnt pay it no way..
Old 05-11-2008, 08:57 PM
Coy
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Just went to Carl Black and they had a few on the lot. I actually lol'ed when I saw the 3k Mark-up. I will probably buy when I can find a grey one at sticker. Any mark-up over sticker price is laughable.

Very nice car, but not 35k nice.
Old 06-11-2008, 11:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

I know what you mean, I looked at one for the g/f last weekend and they didn't know anything about the car. I said to the salesman "I'm guessing this is one of the first 888?", and he just looked at me and said "Uhh, I don't know, let me get a key and my sales manager". He didn't have a clue to what I was talking about. It was a nice car and the price was around $30k.

I went from there to the Mitsu dealer to check out the new Evo. I was amazed, the salesman & his sales managers knew pretty much everything about the car and were really cool & friendly. They almost talked me into trading my truck for it, I'm glad it was 2 hours away at home!
Old 06-12-2008, 12:27 AM
TECH Apprentice

Default $28,000 some

Like the title says, I saw 1 on Autotrader for that amount, tripped me out. I'm pretty sure it's gone by now.

Quick Reply: Attack of the Dumbass salesman