Pontiac G8 2008-09 & Chevrolet SS 2014+ LSX based RWD 4-door sedans

Attack of the Dumbass salesman

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2008, 08:00 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think that salesmen at GM dealers (with the exception of Saturn), know that they are selling a product that no one really wants. Therefore, they try to bluff potential buyers into thinking that their new "hot" cars are flying off the showroom floor and either buy now for dealer markup or miss out on the action. This sounds like a classic example of a product that cannot sell itself. I'll bet you that a salesman at a Toyota dealer, or a Honda dealer will not use the same tactics. They, as much as I hate to admit it, have a superior line of automobiles and their sales reflect that.
Old 06-12-2008, 08:12 AM
STF Veteran

I completely disagree with your assessment. While YOU might not want one there are plenty of people that do want one and have been waiting for one. I, personally, am waiting for the GXP with great anticipation. "Superior line of automobiles" is your opinion.

On an unrelated note, why do you have a female reproductive organ as your avatar?
Old 06-12-2008, 09:19 AM
Launching!

First off, if GM in your opinion makes better cars than Toyota, then why is Toyota the leading manufacturer in sales both in the United States and the world? I'm not trying to dis GM, I respect the fact that they still offer affordable performance cars, but I'm just stating a fact. Toyota is now the #1 car manufacturer in the world, and they wrote the book on Hybrid technology.

As far as my avatar, I never saw it that way lol. However, it is the Ram logo for Mr Norm's Grand Spaulding Dodge in Chicago back in the 60's and 70's.
Old 06-12-2008, 09:42 AM
STF Veteran

I'm aware the Toyota is number 1 now but you referenced Honda also and they are number 5.

I knew what your avatar was, I was just busting on you.
Old 06-12-2008, 11:36 AM
Launching!

Honda is number 5 but I believe that is only because they don't market as heavily as Toyota. However, Honda is becoming an innovator in hydrogen fuel cell technology and that might put them in position to become a top seller in the coming years. IMHO GM needs to dedicate more resources towards alternate fuel vehicles and less towards its SUV and truck segement. The first thing GM should do is dismantle Hummer (useless gas guzzlers) and Buick (Cadillac will carry the luxury nameplate for them). Chrysler and Ford are SOL. Neither company seems to be doing jack **** about new fuel efficient cars.
Old 06-12-2008, 02:38 PM
11 Second Club

what's an "888" car?
wish the "boss" would consider a G8 instead of the C-class

thanks gmhtp, now I know what an 888 car is

Last edited by fast; 06-24-2008 at 01:21 PM.
Old 06-20-2008, 06:00 AM
TECH Apprentice

I went to check out the new stang when they very first came out. Salesman told me their prices wouldnt drop (exact words, with a similar smug look) "for a few years."

I literally laughed in his face. Idiots.
Old 06-20-2008, 02:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Blue Meanie
So now I am looking at a much larger payment for a truck I don't really like just because a dealership keeps pissing her off.
So don't buy it..... you lost a lot of man points for that quote lol.

As far as the people in car sales being retarded, i agree 100%. They hardly know anything about the cars they sell, and 99% of the time just wait for some moron to come in.
Old 06-23-2008, 03:32 PM
10 Second Club

I checked out 3 dealership in the KC area. one had theirs marked up 10k. one said sticker no supplier discount. the other said, supplier discount is no problem

shop around
Old 06-23-2008, 08:37 PM

High pressure sales tactics are the same everywhere. I looked for a Harley for a couple years, waiting until it felt like they wanted a customer. Every bike I looked at they, "might not have in stock tomorrow" or "we can't keep those in stock at all, so get it now if you really want it". I finally bought one, but at a BIG disount well OVER $1,000+ off msrp.

Same at Honda, I had a salesman tell me, "these aren't like Fords and Gm's, they will be gone within a couple of days". I wrote the last 8 of the vin down from a half dozen cars and went back a few weeks later. They had 5 still there, just moved to different parking spaces so it took some determination to find them(Luckily I wrote colors as well).

There are deals, tell them your "looking for a dealer that wants to have another customer and won't buy from one that doesn't need any more customers!"

Toyota vs GM sales....

Toyotas sales are down after the first quarter, btw.
GM has been the leader in auto sales for years and years.

The only thing seperating these companies now is customer perception, reality is very different.
Proof: I have pages and pages of service bulletins for Toyotas in my Alldata files. Toyota manufactures a large portion of their vehicles in China(Fact) so does GM and Ford, etc.

More and more alike, not different like they used to be from brand to brand.

...Jim

Quick Reply: Attack of the Dumbass salesman