Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

Looking at a GTO - help!

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2008, 09:48 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking at a GTO - help!

So, this weekend I went and looked at an '04 GTO with 64k miles and a 6-speed. The car seems mechanically sound, other than a small radiator leak (cheap fix) and what I assume is just pulley squeal (unless there is something else it could be?) Is there anything in specific I need to look for when I go back again; like any problems that the '04s are prone having? Also, just out of curiosity, what rear-end and gearing do they have? I'm new to these GTO's so any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

-Chad
Old 11-09-2008, 10:49 AM
Staging Lane

dont buy an 04....Period......
Old 11-09-2008, 11:41 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by shannon
dont buy an 04....Period......
Why? Obviously the LS2 cars would be preferred but I'm just looking for a nice DD.
Old 11-09-2008, 12:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

04's are the best!!! Bought mine for 16k out the door almost a year ago with 28k miles on it. Almost 20k miles added and I am happy to report not a single problem. Just trying to fight the urge to mod it...

Last edited by nemanracing; 11-09-2008 at 05:56 PM.
Old 11-09-2008, 03:13 PM
On The Tree

wow that is a lot of miles. Check the inside of the tires for any strut rub, get a carfax, just give the car its paces on a test drive and make sure it is all what you want. Not sure of any specific issues besides the strut rub, but don't think that was even much of an issue in 04. I have a few friends with higher mileage 04's and they are still running strong.
Old 11-09-2008, 05:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have an 04 with 83K and 400+ HP for 16.5 K

lots of appearance, full suspension, and a really nice motor setup.

The LS1 GTO's cannot be beat in terms of fun for the dollar.
Old 11-10-2008, 04:15 AM
Staging Lane

Check the strut rub as mentioned above. Also check the strut tops and radius rod bushing for wear. Belt squeal.? Does it have UD pulley? Probably not a big deal once you find the right size belt if it does. Hows the clutch feel,where does it start to grab?
No major problems but if it's been moded or demodded it's most likely been beat on so check it out good. Take it to a shop and get it up on a lift to get a good look underneath. Not all wrecked cars show up on a carfax...
Old 11-10-2008, 08:01 AM
Coy
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Summerwolf
The LS1 GTO's cannot be beat in terms of fun for the dollar.
Except by an LS1 F-body.

Good luck on your search op.
Old 11-10-2008, 08:40 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 06BOMGTO
Check the strut rub as mentioned above. Also check the strut tops and radius rod bushing for wear. Belt squeal.? Does it have UD pulley? Probably not a big deal once you find the right size belt if it does. Hows the clutch feel,where does it start to grab?
No major problems but if it's been moded or demodded it's most likely been beat on so check it out good. Take it to a shop and get it up on a lift to get a good look underneath. Not all wrecked cars show up on a carfax...
Where should the clutch grab at in one of these? Also, the tires have not been on it for any driving time, so strut rub might not be obvious. Is this something that only happens while the car is moving, or will it be obvious while the car is parked?
Old 11-10-2008, 08:13 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by chadaclysm
Why? Obviously the LS2 cars would be preferred but I'm just looking for a nice DD.
the half shafts are different, wont hold as much...And yeah, it's just an LS1 in a heavy *** car.....
Old 11-10-2008, 09:05 PM
TECH Regular

does this car look like its sitting right?

Old 11-10-2008, 09:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

the strut rub is really useually a problem with 18's. make sure they alighn the rear cradle for you is all i have to say. if they just do a 4wheel alignment, tell them it MUST be the full rear cradle alignment. i belive they have to have a special tool. My 2004 gto had a bad problem with inside rear tire wear. the inside of the rear tires would be bald with in 10K miles and the outsides of that same tire would be like new. good luck tho.
Old 11-10-2008, 10:00 PM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The gearing is 3.46.

There is nothing "wrong" with the 04's, it's just they have the LS1 vs. LS2 and smaller brakes (aside from exterior differences).

You will have suspension problems. Not necessarily strut rub, but bad inner tire wear due to collapsed bushings, springs and shocks/struts.
Old 11-10-2008, 10:12 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by demonspeed
The gearing is 3.46.

There is nothing "wrong" with the 04's, it's just they have the LS1 vs. LS2 and smaller brakes (aside from exterior differences).

You will have suspension problems. Not necessarily strut rub, but bad inner tire wear due to collapsed bushings, springs and shocks/struts.
Well the car looks like it has a normal stance and rode like I think it should, but I'm not sure what it would feel like if the it was having these problems. Any easy way to tell if the shocks/struts/springs are shot other than the car visually sagging or something? Or is it one of those things that you would just be really obvious.
Old 11-10-2008, 10:42 PM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Just take a look at the inside tread of the tires. If you stand at the rear of the car, you will also see there is a slight camber in. Moving up front under the hood you'll notice that the strut towers will have some wear from the bearing/busing assembly bouncing off of the top of the towers.

Most places will simply try to convince you it needs an alignment. It is more than that. I'd suggest perusing the suspension section of ls1gto.com to get a full grasp of what is really going on. I personally dislike my GTO more because of the suspension than anything else.
Old 11-11-2008, 01:04 AM
Staging Lane

The clutch should grab around the middle of the pedal travel. If it doesn't grab till it's up high the clutch is worn. As far as the suspension, as Demon said search the other forum The tire wear seams to be the biggest consern. That and it's more of a touring susp then a sport susp. Nothing a little moding can't fix.
Old 11-11-2008, 04:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

Not every single GTO has suspension issues, just a lot of them. It is an easy upgrade/fix so do not let it deter you from making a purchase. The 04's are unique and I prefer the way they look, brakes are not bad for a DD but the upgrade to 05-06 brakes is incredibly easy. You cannot beat the LS1 and a lot of the 05-06 LS2 cars had oil consumption issues. Just do some research there are ups and downs to both but I'm 100% happy I bought an LS1 car and would not trade it for any LS2 GTO.
Old 11-11-2008, 07:23 AM
TECH Regular

Alright, thanks guys. I feel like I'm ready to figure out this car. I also went to the bank out of curiosity and got loan information and actually got a discount because the national average for these cars is 67,XXX miles, ha! That was a shock. Anyway, thanks for your help and by the end of the week, I'll either be back to the classifieds or posting pics of the GTO.

-Chad
Old 11-11-2008, 04:24 PM
On The Tree

It has 3.46 gearing

Quick Reply: Looking at a GTO - help!