Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

GTO or CTS (V) ???

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2008, 04:05 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

HaHa! every test I've read has the V ahead of the Goat even in the 1/4; I mean, just read the link provided aboved to debunk that argument...so may facts be facts.

Most V owners are so spoofed by the internet's exaggeration of the rear-end issues that their scared shitless to lauch'em...that's probably why you haven't lost to a v. Get a driver in there and you might see a different result

And I'm not concerned with the general public's perception on the V...I just love the looks on people's faces in their Infinitys, Mercs, BMWs, Mustangs, (and the list goes on) when they get SMOKED by, of all things, a Cadillac! HaHa! It's priceless every time

For that matter - I get just as many, if not more, looks/stares/comments/compliments everywhere I go with my "Redline" Cadi than I did with my Velocity Yellow '05 Vette! And that's a certified FACT! The people who need to know know it's not your grandpa's putt-putt machine. The GTO just tends to blend in with traffic - I have to look very hard to tell if I've just seen a GTO...JIMHO
Old 11-30-2008, 04:59 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Summerwolf
I'm not quoting from every day to day races and ****. I've never lost to a V if that matters.

I'm stating what motor trend and most car magazines said. They had similiar performance numbers but the 1/4 mile times were always 2-3 tenths and 1-2 MPH in the goats favorite every year it was produced, slightly less in the 04 model year.

And why was my statement the GTO isn't a warmed over grand prix, but the CTS-V is a warmed over CTS the dumbest quote on tech. The GTO is its own platform, and while the CTS doesn't have much in common with the normal CTS it is still a higher version of a lower model and 99% of the american public wouldn't/couldn't tell the difference.
^again , pimple faced goat owner.
Old 11-30-2008, 07:00 PM
On The Tree

Wow you CTS-V owners are a proud bunch.

CTS-V and GTO both blend into the crowd, neither sticks out. I have pulled up next to V's before, and turned off the radio, rolled down the windows just to hear it. I was dissapointed in the sound coming out of it, but then again it is a luxury car.

If your cars are so great, why are people scared shitless to launch them? I know the GTO's rear end isn't the greatest, but I am not scared to launch it. Hell if you have enough money to buy a V build up the rear end and have some fun. Bring on your 04-07 V and I will walk all over you, but only in a straight line. How many of you have been to the track to see what your car can do? How many of you have been to a road course to take advantage of all the upgrades you have over the goat? How many of you have even been up to 70 MPH. I know you gray hair old men don't like to drive that fast.. lol. I am just messing with you guys. This debate could go on forever. OP go test drive each car. I prefer the goat, others prefer the V.
Old 11-30-2008, 07:20 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by GT67METHV
how meny teens do u know that can afford a 13k pluse $$ car?
Old 11-30-2008, 07:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

shoot, drive through a high school parking lot, most of the cars are $13k or more.
Old 11-30-2008, 07:26 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by shudog
shoot, drive through a high school parking lot, most of the cars are $13k or more.
idk what high schools your driving through.... back at my old school it used to look like a wrecking yard as a parking lot. lol maybe its just where your from. makes me appreciate my 2004
Old 11-30-2008, 07:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by GT67METHV
Yup, I'm real pimple faced when I'm damn near 26 and in the military. I don't get the whole "people are afraid to launch them" argument. I'm sure a few of the V's I've raced were driven by people who were just as good if not better drivers than I am.
Old 11-30-2008, 10:01 PM
On The Tree

The launch point was made in light of someone making reference to the innate "problems" with the V. The internet has really hyped the diff issue, which is an issue in some cars particularly at the dragstrip (where the car is not best suited to go in stock form) - which does cause some owners to hold back a bit on launch with unmodified diffs/bracing.

kudos for beating all of the hand full of V's you come accross. No, i mean really, Kudos - really I think that's just fantastic; and I'm really happy you showed them who's boss. It certainly can be done my feelings wouldn't be hurt if my mighty V were beat by a GTO...I've certainly experienced worse things...

All I'm sayin is if we are talking apples to apples here (stock for stock) - may the facts be facts. The guy asked, so I'm just here to enlighten a bit on what he has to choose between. didn't mean to open up a bicker session at the sandbox about who's daddy would kick who's daddy's ***...my apologies
Old 12-01-2008, 01:29 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm not quoting from every day to day races and ****. I've never lost to a V if that matters.

I'm stating what motor trend and most car magazines said. They had similiar performance numbers but the 1/4 mile times were always 2-3 tenths and 1-2 MPH in the goats favorite every year it was produced, slightly less in the 04 model year.

And why was my statement the GTO isn't a warmed over grand prix, but the CTS-V is a warmed over CTS the dumbest quote on tech. The GTO is its own platform, and while the CTS doesn't have much in common with the normal CTS it is still a higher version of a lower model and 99% of the american public wouldn't/couldn't tell the difference.
Ummm dude..... http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...300c_srt8.html

I think you may have overlooked this
Old 12-01-2008, 01:36 PM
Banned

the 04-05 cts-v were rushed, and they sucked...and were a stepping stone for the
upgraded 06-07 (which i own ) new rear, better trans, better motor,(more cubes better block) ect, ect...
Old 12-01-2008, 02:02 PM
TECH Addict

And why was my statement the GTO isn't a warmed over grand prix, but the CTS-V is a warmed over CTS the dumbest quote on tech./QUOTE]

The GTO is its own platform, and while the CTS doesn't have much in common with the normal CTS it is still a higher version of a lower model and 99% of the american public wouldn't/couldn't tell the difference.

Correct me if Im wrong but last time I checked the GTO was a played down Ausi Holden, or even the new G8.. The cts and the cts-v are the same car but at dif trims! and if the gto is such a great car then WHY DID THEY STOP MAKING THEM??? instead they made the CTS-V the fastest sedan in the world for 2009 not to mention the fact that it holds the world land speed record for the fastest sedan on the salt flats.... hmmm something must be great if it did all that... and w/ a new trim (ZR1)

Last edited by adanieljohnson1; 12-01-2008 at 02:11 PM.
Old 12-01-2008, 07:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by adanieljohnson1
Ummm dude..... http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...300c_srt8.html

I think you may have overlooked this
link doesn't work. Why does it have 300C_SRT8 at the end though?
Old 12-01-2008, 07:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by adanieljohnson1
Correct me if Im wrong but last time I checked the GTO was a played down Ausi Holden, or even the new G8.. The cts and the cts-v are the same car but at dif trims! and if the gto is such a great car then WHY DID THEY STOP MAKING THEM??? instead they made the CTS-V the fastest sedan in the world for 2009 not to mention the fact that it holds the world land speed record for the fastest sedan on the salt flats.... hmmm something must be great if it did all that... and w/ a new trim (ZR1)
You're an idiot. The GTO is a coupe base off the monaro platform but was that platform used in any other kind of GM USA release? NO. The gto was its own platform while the CTS-V was based off the CTS usa vehicle. The GTO was planned as a 3 year limited release vehicle until the next RWD pontiac came out, people don't seem to understand that. The CTS-V SHOULD be the fastest sedan in the GM lineup, thats what they were going for and it is the most upscale performance car GM has with four doors.

The argument is whether or not the buyer should get a GTO or a CTS-V and I simply stated if you wanted two doors buy the GTO if you needed four for some reason get the V. ZR1 CTS-V? No....the LSA motor in the new V is not exactly the same as the motor in the ZR1 vette.

Also you specifically said, the cts and cts-v are the same car but at different trim levels, yes...I said that a long time ago. You just affirmed every single thing I said.
Old 12-01-2008, 07:56 PM
Staging Lane

The argument is whether or not the buyer should get a GTO or a CTS-V and I simply stated if you wanted two doors buy the GTO if you needed four for some reason get the V. ZR1 CTS-V? No....the LSA motor in the new V is not exactly the same as the motor in the ZR1 vette.

Also you specifically said, the cts and cts-v are the same car but at different trim levels, yes...I said that a long time ago. You just affirmed every single thing I said.
I gotta say , I have followed the thread and I like the points that Summerwolf makes. I am proud of the strides that the CTS-V has made to date and the commitments of GM to the platform. It is a good car that is getting better, and it no doubt redefines an American modern luxury muscle car is. The new CTS-V is that high school prom that can be brought to any date and will turn heds. Good job GM.

Now, the GTO is a value muscle car, and a true modern muscle car. To me the looks are still to die for. Too bad we stopped making them and did not build them in the States. To me the GTO's absence is America's loss. However, I am most impressed with what GM has done with the LSx series engines in this day and age.

Performace wise, I will give the edge to the '05-'06 GTO vs the '05-'06, that has the LS2 motor, I don't know about the '07-'08 models. One thing is for sure there is not a GTO or CTS-V driver that will not be wary of the other when they cross paths on the street, whether it is at a red light or the freeway, say what you like here. You know for sure that you immediately have your hand the shifter ready to draw your guns when you see each other. That is called respect, where I come from.
Old 12-01-2008, 08:09 PM
Launching!

They are both excellent values for V8 performance products..

The bottom line? Do you want a two door sport coupe or do you want a four door luxury high performance sedan..

At 49 years old with a family....I'd probably go for the CTS V but thats just my opinion...

Good luck deciding.

The new V seriously kicks @ss too................

New pontiac G8 GT's with very low mileage are being sold for 19 grand at autotrader.com

G8 forum.com
Old 12-01-2008, 09:17 PM
Staging Lane

You're an idiot. The GTO is a coupe base off the monaro platform but was that platform used in any other kind of GM USA release? NO
Actually, the monaro was based off the Commodore platform which was in turn developed from the European Opel Omega B, which was marketed in the U.S. as the Cadillac Catera, which was, funny enough, replaced by the CTS.

But they're both LS powered, fun to drive vehicles. The GTO is slightly cheaper, the CTS has slightly better handling and brakes, but either is a good buy IMO.
Old 12-01-2008, 09:35 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by JBsC5
New pontiac G8 GT's with very low mileage are being sold for 19 grand at autotrader.com

G8 forum.com
For real! Just looked one up, 19K for 360 hp and only 11K miles...
Old 12-01-2008, 11:47 PM
Launching!

Another fun post full of hate.

GTO = awesome
CTS-V = awesome

Just leave it at that.
Old 12-02-2008, 01:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Super Goat
Actually, the monaro was based off the Commodore platform which was in turn developed from the European Opel Omega B, which was marketed in the U.S. as the Cadillac Catera, which was, funny enough, replaced by the CTS.

But they're both LS powered, fun to drive vehicles. The GTO is slightly cheaper, the CTS has slightly better handling and brakes, but either is a good buy IMO.
lol, didn't feel like going through family history. Did you know the catera guys love some of the GTO suspension parts as upgrades? lol.
Old 12-02-2008, 08:58 AM
TECH Addict

link doesn't work. Why does it have 300C_SRT8 at the end though?
follow the link from the 1st page of this thread! not sure why it didnt work the second time... And the 300c srt-8 as well as the gto are the cars that the CTS-V was running against...

Last edited by adanieljohnson1; 12-02-2008 at 09:47 AM.

Quick Reply: GTO or CTS (V) ???