Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

GTO or CTS (V) ???

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2008, 08:39 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GTO or CTS (V) ???

Hi,

I'm pretty new here, spend a lot of time over on the Corvette Forum, but have been lurking here for a while absorbing info on F Bodys, GTOs and just recently CTSs.

Have owned a few Corvettes over the last years, currently driving a 2000 Pewter FRC with an LG cam, headers, B&B Bullets, shocks, swaybars and minor brake mods.

My question is - I'm seriously considering a 4 seat performance daily driver and would appreciate any input on a GTO vs a CTS (V).

Other than the Caddie seems somewhat more "luxurious" they appear to be very similiar in performance, options and etc.

Am I correct in thinking I can buy a nicer GTO for less $$$ ???

I'd appreciate any info or opinions on the above.

THANKS

Last edited by mw05c6; 11-28-2008 at 08:44 AM.
Old 11-28-2008, 10:31 AM
On The Tree

I think the CTS-V is an all-round better car because of the larger brakes, stiffer chassis, and better cornering capabilities - if your just looking for straight-line acceleration - sure you could get out cheaper with the GTO; but if you're looking for the overall package - the V is the way to go!

Of course I'm biased - I sold my '05 Vette for my CTS-V and haven't missed the vette yet! LOVE the V!!
Old 11-28-2008, 11:08 AM
Staging Lane

Well I have a GTO and my dad has a CTS. Not a V just the CTS. Honestly i can fit more comfortably behind my dad in the GTO. Im 6"5 and my dad is 6"4. Also, I dont find the CTS seats very comfortable compared to the GTO. The thing i give the edge to the CTS is that it has a very nice stereo, and navigation system, where as the GTOs stock system sucks.

As far as performance, (again I havent driven a V just a CTS) I just cant see the V being that great of a performing car. Its a heavy pig. Also, IDK about other people but CTS-Vs just dont catch my attention, and everyone in my town that drives 1 is an *******. Now im not saying all drivers are, so dont take offense, but everyone in my town will pull up next to me and say, "O, ill smoke you, this car cost 2x as much" Then after I blow them away they get butthurt.

Also, the LS2 engine can withstand alot of boost and power in stock form. IDK about the LS6 but im 90% sure it cant take the same beating.

All in all, They are both nice cars, but I definatley will give the edge to the goat IMO. Hope i helped.
Old 11-28-2008, 11:13 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by ws6whore89
everyone in my town that drives 1 is an *******. Now im not saying all drivers are, so dont take offense, but everyone in my town will pull up next to me and say, "O, ill smoke you, this car cost 2x as much" Then after I blow them away they get butthurt.

THANKS !!!
Old 11-28-2008, 01:34 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

stock for stock the CTS-V would actually take the GTO. here is a link to motortrend! smoked the 300 srt-8 also!

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...300c_srt8.html
Old 11-28-2008, 04:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I asked the same question a few months ago. The CTS-V is the better car overall and will hold its value better. Both have the LS motor, but the Caddy has better interior, better chassis, better brakes. Read up on some old road tests and reviews online, the CTS-V holds its own against most European sports sedans. The same cannot be said of the GTO. Last review I read of the GTO, it lost to a Mustang GT. GTO is still a nice car and alot of bang for the buck but in a totally different class also. Do some real searching and you can find a CTS-V and get it Certified for 6yr 100k mile warranty. You'll never get that on a GTO.
Old 11-28-2008, 04:34 PM
12 Second Club

Drive both and then choose.. Its really what you want. Wat ever you choose its going to be a all around good car. Just my 0.02's
Old 11-28-2008, 11:51 PM
On The Tree

i always love how someone who's never driven a car can size it up based on some dic who pulls up beside him who probably never said anything about how much their car cost...all I'll say is - in this world, you typically get what you pay for. I have driven both cars - and driven them hard - the V is a better performer in the twisys and under braking and is as good in a straight line.

you can definitely get a V with either the LS6 or the LS2 depending on the year - both of which are equally as stable under high HP applications.

but like RacerXLs1 said: drive'em both - it's all in what you like and what you're looking for! either way, they are both some of the better cars from our beloved General!! at least you're not pondering of getting a mustang or something - now those cars are jokes!!
Old 11-28-2008, 11:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

https://ls1tech.com/forums/cadillac-...gto-cts-v.html
Old 11-29-2008, 03:36 PM
Staging Lane

Default This has never been a site for the Last Gen GTO

GTO vs CTS-V confuses me one car is a 2 Dr the other is 4 Dr. One car is Luxury car, the other car is a muscle car. The only similarity is the Drive Train that they share in '05 - '06 models. Performance wise they are close. Some give edge to the Goat others to the V. Price wise there is about 25K between them, advantage CTS-V.

Overall, you will not find a lot of love for the Goat on this site. Try comparing the last Gen F Body to CTS-V, your answers will be different. Good Luck and go out and drive both.
Old 11-29-2008, 04:26 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by shudog
Last review I read of the GTO, it lost to a Mustang GT.

Lost to a Mustang GT in what respect? The only thing I can think of is it looks a bit more aggressive. GTO is quicker, faster, corners better, brakes better, has better interior..... this list could go on forever.

I also agree the V is much more of a car all around, but the price is way up there as well. The GTO is a more rare car, and right now can be had for next to nothing. Not many people even know what the GTO is. It is all in what you want. I love my goat, my dad has a regular CTS, it is nice but I would take the goat over the CTS. My dad wants to trade his, granted not a V, for a goat as well. He loves my car.
Old 11-29-2008, 11:58 PM
On The Tree

I wouldn't say the goats are more rare - there were about 10k built a year vs about 3500 V's a year...so far I've only seen one more other than mine in my city. just sayin...

I like the goat too - but I won't lie - the brakes, handling, and styling really made my choice clear - plus the women love the cadi - i'd say they love it far more than my vette!!

Most people see the goat as a warmed over grand prix - with the v theres no mistakin'

But like eveyone's said - it's all in what you want! get some seat time in each...you'll like'em both.
Old 11-30-2008, 12:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by shudog
I asked the same question a few months ago. The CTS-V is the better car overall and will hold its value better. Both have the LS motor, but the Caddy has better interior, better chassis, better brakes. Read up on some old road tests and reviews online, the CTS-V holds its own against most European sports sedans. The same cannot be said of the GTO. Last review I read of the GTO, it lost to a Mustang GT. GTO is still a nice car and alot of bang for the buck but in a totally different class also. Do some real searching and you can find a CTS-V and get it Certified for 6yr 100k mile warranty. You'll never get that on a GTO.
Yeah motor trend and their bullshit "gotta have it factor" in 2005....when the mustang just came out. The GTO out did the stang in EVERYTHING and still does to this date.

Honestly, if you need 4 doors buy the V. If you don't buy the goat. The goat was faster every year it was produced and didn't have some of the inherant problems of the V.....just some inherant problem of its own. The goat is cheaper to fix its problems though for some reason.

While the goat might look like a warmed over grand prix....it isn't

the V is a warmed over CTS though in every regard and most people can't notice the difference save the grille and badges.
Old 11-30-2008, 08:37 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by tylerz28ss
I wouldn't say the goats are more rare - there were about 10k built a year vs about 3500 V's a year...so far I've only seen one more other than mine in my city. just sayin...

I like the goat too - but I won't lie - the brakes, handling, and styling really made my choice clear - plus the women love the cadi - i'd say they love it far more than my vette!!

Most people see the goat as a warmed over grand prix - with the v theres no mistakin'

But like eveyone's said - it's all in what you want! get some seat time in each...you'll like'em both.
OK maybe not as rare, but I see them a lot in my area, and there are CTS's everywhere. Yet I rarely ever see another GTO, guess this may vary based on your location. I think the goat is a more solid car, the Aussie styling, fit and finish, interior... far excedes that of the CTS my dad drives. Maybe the V has a better fit and finish to it? I personally think that the V is an old mans luxury sport car and the goat is an all out muscle car. Cars are in different classes, yet for some reason they get compared often... Ride in both and see what you like better and what you can afford. Go from there, everyone is going to have a biased opinion.
Old 11-30-2008, 12:03 PM
On The Tree

[QUOTE=Summerwolf;10570900] The goat was faster every year it was produced and didn't have some of the inherant problems of the V.....QUOTE]

Faster with respect to what? The V is a faster car in all regards - in acceleration due to mechanical advantage (gearing); in braking due to the undeniably better brakes; and in cornering due to its stronger chassis (look at the torsional-flexture numbers on the two) and more refined suspension (particularly if you find one with the FE2 shocks)...

and this idea that the V is a porker - well is surely isn't light, but it's only 80-100#'s heavier than the GTO! and 80 of that can be accounted for in the sunroof of the V!

Fit and finish - I'd put them in a dead heat; i like the interior of the GTO, but i have some stainless accents, pedals, mats, etc in mine which really dress things up nicely. build quality - same; cadi's QA/QC is top notch as far as the General is concerned.
Old 11-30-2008, 12:09 PM
On The Tree

GTOs are an excellent all around car for the price, you can pick one up used for cheep compared to what they were new
Old 11-30-2008, 01:26 PM
Banned

there is no comparing the two...
goats are for pimple faced teens.
be a man..step it up.
Old 11-30-2008, 01:36 PM
Launching!

Just get both and call it a day.
Old 11-30-2008, 01:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The goat was faster every year it was produced
Completely untrue, actually its quite the opposite. Stock for stock, I have never lost to a Gto both 5.7 and 6.0 (5-0), and neither has my buddy (2-0). There unideal gearing, and horrible drivers equate to losses time and time again.

However, when I was still stock, I did lose by about a fender length to a tuned 6.0 with a great driver from a dead stop. I was on gs-d3s with the threads showing...on good tires, I woulda had em.

While the goat might look like a warmed over grand prix....it isn't

the V is a warmed over CTS though in every regard and most people can't notice the difference save the grille and badges.
Quite possibly the stupidest comment on tech.
Old 11-30-2008, 03:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'm not quoting from every day to day races and ****. I've never lost to a V if that matters.

I'm stating what motor trend and most car magazines said. They had similiar performance numbers but the 1/4 mile times were always 2-3 tenths and 1-2 MPH in the goats favorite every year it was produced, slightly less in the 04 model year.

And why was my statement the GTO isn't a warmed over grand prix, but the CTS-V is a warmed over CTS the dumbest quote on tech. The GTO is its own platform, and while the CTS doesn't have much in common with the normal CTS it is still a higher version of a lower model and 99% of the american public wouldn't/couldn't tell the difference.

Quick Reply: GTO or CTS (V) ???