Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

Wearing tires unevenly, common problem?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2009, 04:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by StealthFormula
Thats what I'm thinking as well. Pretty pathetic how these GTO's are rubbing and wearing tires unvenly.
Yea no kidding. I dont even know if its covered under warranty.
Old 04-07-2009, 05:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Lots of people blame radius rod bushings and for some people that is the case.

I know on my car the radius rod bushings are fine, and so are all the other ones.
But I still get strut rub. I've had alignments done also and it's always up to spec.

But once I switched to 235's, no more strut rub, and even tire wear on the fronts.

Australia uses 235's on front and they have no issues with strut rub. (unless they lose a bushing of course)
Old 04-08-2009, 03:35 PM
TECH Resident

my rear tires wear unevenly as well. they wear on the insides sooner then the outside. I have 275's on the rear. What is it that causes this? i have airbags int he rear.
Old 04-08-2009, 06:49 PM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by my first GTO
There are NO K-members in a GTO just front cradles and rear ones.We do them all the time just look us up on LS1GTO.com were in Bethlehem pa...rocksand racing.....
You want to talk to this guy. He'll get it fixed right the first time.
Old 04-08-2009, 07:09 PM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by dubrado
Lots of people blame radius rod bushings and for some people that is the case.

I know on my car the radius rod bushings are fine, and so are all the other ones.
But I still get strut rub. I've had alignments done also and it's always up to spec.

But once I switched to 235's, no more strut rub, and even tire wear on the fronts.

Australia uses 235's on front and they have no issues with strut rub. (unless they lose a bushing of course)
There GTO is NOT straped to a Boat for 3 months That is what starts the Bushings to go bad and the springs...
Old 04-09-2009, 07:45 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have 90,000 miles on my GTO and have had uneven wear. If it is strut rub (probably NOT in your case), it will be obvious when you remove the wheel. My right-front has been the worst of the bunch. Most all of my wear has been eliminated by replacing the bushings up front, strut mounts, and strut bearings AND getting an alignment at a good shop. I also have put Pedder's 0-drops in the rear to help with the squatting. I can show you pictures of burnouts, and you can tell the inner portion of the black marks are darker...if your dad mashes the go pedal often, get those rear springs replaced. Easy to do.

Most all my inner tire wear is now gone. Rotate & balance often.

Gerry
Old 04-09-2009, 08:07 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by my first GTO
There GTO is NOT straped to a Boat for 3 months That is what starts the Bushings to go bad and the springs...

That doesn't change the fact that they have different tires (235's) on these cars in australia and then for the US spec we put on a wider one. (245s)
Yet they don't have the horrible strut rub problem and we do.

There are plenty of people who have bushings which are in great shape which still have strut rub.

There are also plenty of people who just switched to 235s and have no issues at all.

There are people who want to spend a bunch of money on all the bushing upgrades so they can fit a 245 instead of a 235.

In the end, either way will work.

I prefer to just put the right tire on and have no problems and not have to pay to upgrade my bushings when they're in good shape.

Quick Reply: Wearing tires unevenly, common problem?