Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

Wearing tires unevenly, common problem?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2009, 01:54 PM
11 Second Club

Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts

Default Wearing tires unevenly, common problem?

Hey guys my dad has a stock 2006 GTO. Since he bought it new the car has been wearing the tires unevenly. He has had the car in the shop for re-alignments but it never lasts long. Talked to TTP in Jersey and they will be able to adjust the k-member and whatnot to fix it but were talking $400ish. Is this a common problem and what have you done to fix it? thanks
Old 04-06-2009, 02:18 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

He should join LS1/2gto forum. There is lots of info there to learn all about our crappy stock suspension. There is also some reputable vendor/sponsors that provide the much needed upgraded suspension parts as well as the info about them.
I only had the rear tires wear out on the insides only on my 04. This was due to the sagging stock rear springs.
Tell him to read through the suspension section and he can learn more than he wants to know. He will also learn what vendors to buy from and they are always having sales. They also would be more than willing to inform him of his specific needs.I would list the vendors now but I'd be breaking the law (rules).
Old 04-06-2009, 02:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

my rear tires wore on the insides. ttp should be able to fix your problem.
Old 04-06-2009, 03:09 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Got1Goat
He should join LS1/2gto forum. There is lots of info there to learn all about our crappy stock suspension. There is also some reputable vendor/sponsors that provide the much needed upgraded suspension parts as well as the info about them.
I only had the rear tires wear out on the insides only on my 04. This was due to the sagging stock rear springs.
Tell him to read through the suspension section and he can learn more than he wants to know. He will also learn what vendors to buy from and they are always having sales. They also would be more than willing to inform him of his specific needs.I would list the vendors now but I'd be breaking the law (rules).
Thanks alot man. I will have to get him to signup over there and look around, that will be a challenge in itself lol.
Old 04-06-2009, 03:41 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by StealthFormula
Thanks alot man. I will have to get him to signup over there and look around, that will be a challenge in itself lol.
Kick him in the butt then sit down with him and help him out. I can't speak from experience but I'm sure there's nothing better than father and son car guys.
Hell, he doesn't even have to sign up (can't see why he wouldn't) but he can still read everything - he just wouldn't be able to post. He can learn everything there is about these new era gto's and he can even save some money on parts if needed. Lots of cool vendors and members over there and it's 04-06 gto specific. Just teach him how to use the search function Ha-Ha.

Don.
Old 04-06-2009, 03:48 PM
Teching In

Yeah, sign up on LS1GTO.com... and yes it's a common issue..
Old 04-06-2009, 04:17 PM
11 Second Club

Kick him in the butt then sit down with him and help him out. I can't speak from experience but I'm sure there's nothing better than father and son car guys.
Hell, he doesn't even have to sign up (can't see why he wouldn't) but he can still read everything - he just wouldn't be able to post. He can learn everything there is about these new era gto's and he can even save some money on parts if needed. Lots of cool vendors and members over there and it's 04-06 gto specific. Just teach him how to use the search function Ha-Ha.

Don.

Haha. I just called him up and told him to check out that site tonight, may have to walk him through it over the phone tho but will be worth it. It is pretty cool both being into cars, I bought a LT1 Formula 5 years ago as my first car and he's been hooked since, I even talked my mom into buying a TBSS lol. I'm hoping he starts to frequent over there and he gets the modding bug, I've been waiting for him to do something with that LS2.
Old 04-06-2009, 06:00 PM

These gto's suffer from strut rub. Look at the plate on the strut to see if there are rub marks. I have a 06 with 14,000 on it and the inside of my tires are getting a little wore out .

Jason,
Old 04-06-2009, 06:19 PM
8 Second Club

Hey guys my dad has a stock 2006 GTO. Since he bought it new the car has been wearing the tires unevenly. He has had the car in the shop for re-alignments but it never lasts long. Talked to TTP in Jersey and they will be able to adjust the k-member and whatnot to fix it but were talking $400ish. Is this a common problem and what have you done to fix it? thanks
There are NO K-members in a GTO just front cradles and rear ones.We do them all the time just look us up on LS1GTO.com were in Bethlehem pa...rocksand racing.....
Old 04-06-2009, 07:28 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by my first GTO
There are NO K-members in a GTO just front cradles and rear ones.We do them all the time just look us up on LS1GTO.com were in Bethlehem pa...rocksand racing.....
If you definetly could fix the issue my dad would more than likely take it to you guys since your not far from us. I live just below Quakertown.

Edit: Just got off the phone with him, I sent him your website he should be calling you very soon.
Old 04-06-2009, 07:49 PM
8 Second Club

If you definetly could fix the issue my dad would more than likely take it to you guys since your not far from us. I live just below Quakertown.

Edit: Just got off the phone with him, I sent him your website he should be calling you very soon.
Yes WE do it all the time....Frank
Old 04-07-2009, 05:18 AM
Staging Lane

^ There you go. +1 on the fix for your father's needs for his gto.
Old 04-07-2009, 07:58 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I just put on 235/45/17's like they're supposed to come with like the Holdens.
The US decided to put 245's on instead for whatever reason and now they rub.

I put on the 235's like they come with overseas and no problems whatsoever.
Old 04-07-2009, 09:58 AM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by dubrado
I just put on 235/45/17's like they're supposed to come with like the Holdens.
The US decided to put 245's on instead for whatever reason and now they rub.

I put on the 235's like they come with overseas and no problems whatsoever.
The tire size IS NOT the Problem at all I run 275/60/15 in the rear and have No innertire problems.....
Old 04-07-2009, 12:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by my first GTO
The tire size IS NOT the Problem at all I run 275/60/15 in the rear and have No innertire problems.....
I'm talking about front tires.
Old 04-07-2009, 01:03 PM
Staging Lane

I never had a problem up front with my 275's. It was the rears because of my sagging rear springs. We still don't know what tires are affected on Stealth's father's car.
I can say that whatever his suspension problem is, Frank will surely fix him up and with one or more of the best aftermarket (upgrade) parts available.
Old 04-07-2009, 03:23 PM
11 Second Club

I never had a problem up front with my 275's. It was the rears because of my sagging rear springs. We still don't know what tires are affected on Stealth's father's car.
I can say that whatever his suspension problem is, Frank will surely fix him up and with one or more of the best aftermarket (upgrade) parts available.
Its only the fronts right now. He needs to put new tires on the car so now is the perfect time to get it squared away.
Old 04-07-2009, 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by stealthformula
its only the fronts right now. He needs to put new tires on the car so now is the perfect time to get it squared away.
strut rub.
Old 04-07-2009, 04:38 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by chevytuned
strut rub.
Thats what I'm thinking as well. Pretty pathetic how these GTO's are rubbing and wearing tires unvenly.
Old 04-07-2009, 04:38 PM
Staging Lane

He probably needs new radius rod bushings. When these go (and they do go) the tires sqiurm around and wear horribly

Quick Reply: Wearing tires unevenly, common problem?