Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

New GTO

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2004, 09:29 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

NBC just had a 5 minute piece on the GTO tonight. It sounds killer, especially considering how lame the F-body LS1's sound stock. They interviewed some purists who took the reporter on a drive with an nice, older GTO playing that gay GTO song from the 60's on his radio (sorry it's lame) who was lamenting the lack of styling cues the new GTO has. Which I agree it does have bland vanilla styling, but love the interior. The auto journalist they interviewed said styling did not make him go wow, but when he drove the car he was suprised how nice the car rode and performed.

My local dealer said they have an allocation of 10 GTO's headed their way but the delivery has been delayed for several weeks now, but they did send me a brochure in the mail.

I guess I will pass a final decision when I drive or ride in one.
Old 01-03-2004, 11:31 AM
TECH Addict

I wish GM would of did the styling of the car a little bit better. The looks of the car is very demoralizing, especailly being called a GTO. Too family looking. My father-n-law, said that the first person that calls the new GTO a "goat", he will outright deck them!
Old 01-03-2004, 01:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I can't wait to meet your father in law in my new GOAT!
Old 01-03-2004, 02:28 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by XtinctHawk02
I wish GM would of did the styling of the car a little bit better. The looks of the car is very demoralizing, especailly being called a GTO. Too family looking. My father-n-law, said that the first person that calls the new GTO a "goat", he will outright deck them!
So what does your father-in-law call a '64 Pontiac Tempest with a 389?
Old 01-03-2004, 05:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by XtinctHawk02
I guess Mr. Lutz and Mr. Wangers had better look out...
Old 01-03-2004, 08:29 PM
Teching In

Default Old GTO vs new GTO comparison

I'm not getting the whole vibe about the GTO looking too much like another GM car or this or that. Especially when people say it looks like a modified Grand Prix. The fact is, your right! Apparently those people aren't too familiar with old Pontiacs. Face it, no car today is gonna have big chrome bumpers and stuff so it's not going to look exactly like a old 60's musclecar. But the point is, I think GM was actually pretty acurate when they said if the GTO line was never abandoned it would of probably evolved to what the 04 model is. Here's a little comparison pic I made for those who seem to be uneducated about their bashing but try to make an educated comparison. I'm not by any means saying you should like the styling or that the styling is even good, but the comparison contrast people are trying to link just doesn't make any sense.

So your right, the 04 GTO does look like a Grand Prix! I wonder why that is?

Last edited by Kyuss; 01-04-2004 at 12:58 PM.
Old 01-04-2004, 07:46 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks for that comparison picture. I think the problem is, if you put the '04 GTO on top and the '04 Grand Prix on the bottom, it seems you'd have a better comparison. Now, knowing more about the cars than just looks - you have it the right way. It's just most people who bash the car don't know more than seeing that picture - that isn't even a color you can actually purchase.
Old 01-04-2004, 11:08 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Here's a blue one for your example.
Attached Thumbnails New GTO-g2.jpg  
Old 01-05-2004, 12:53 PM
Teching In

I think I'll add my 2 cents to this discussion... I like the way the new GTO looks. I think the front end styling being similar to the old GP is dead on for Pontiac. For one, development of ram air hoods should be a bit easier to come up with a look that adds to the already aggresive front end. The grunt work of engineering a design has been completed, now they just need to be fitted to the GTO!.

Then again, I may be a bit partial to that particular design.
Old 01-05-2004, 07:07 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by cvp33
BlackFormula01,

I think you'll be surprised at the lack of performance upgrades available for the Bonnie's. Unless GM comes out with factory sponsored pieces there will be little or none. Remember the Chrysler 300M with it's paultry 255 hp? Everyone who owned one kept asking for upgrades. Couldn't even get a CAI. Yes I know it's fwd (300M), but the problem is the same. Who's going to shell out $40K on a sedan and then "soup" it up, void the warranty, etc. The performance companies will continue to go after their bread and butter. Ford's 4.6, Chevy's LS1 and all the rice you can eat. Those rice boys just love spending $500 to eek out another 15 horses.
yeah, I mean I agree with you to some extent, by no means am I saying there will be cam and head packages for it...but I would look for the simple stuff. Intake, exhaust...I mean, they make performance exhaust for the Aztek I believe. But yeah, you're right, I doubt anything major will come of it.

Quick Reply: New GTO