Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

What exhaust do you guys recommend?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2009, 07:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What exhaust do you guys recommend?

I just got a 2004 GTO and i have my intake ordered already but i was wondering what exhaust i should do. Ive listened to a ton of different set ups on you tube and i know i want to go with flowmasters but should i add an X pipe? Or is that just wasted money? Also what size exhaust should i run? I was thinking 2 and a half but ive heard people saying to stay with the stock and a quarter.

Last question, should i do the exhaust out the back like the stock set up, or should i dump it after the mufflers?

Thanks
Old 09-20-2009, 07:27 PM
12 Second Club

While my car is a 05. And it has headers with no cats. Into race bullets.. I was going to dump it before the axle and instead I just had all new pipe ran with tail pipes. It sounds badass..
Old 09-20-2009, 08:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah im not sure what i want to do. I wish i had the LS2. Maybe in the future i will swap. Anyway i dont know if im going to dump it before the axle or what.
Old 09-20-2009, 09:34 PM
On The Tree

I prefer magnaflow, I love the way they sound with long tubes full 3 inch with the magnapacks.
Old 09-20-2009, 09:36 PM
Launching!

Corsa..
Old 09-21-2009, 12:56 PM
11 Second Club

I have Kooks, Kooks, Bassani on my 04 and I love it

-Will
Old 09-21-2009, 01:20 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by LS12Fast4U
I just got a 2004 GTO and i have my intake ordered already but i was wondering what exhaust i should do. Ive listened to a ton of different set ups on you tube and i know i want to go with flowmasters but should i add an X pipe? Or is that just wasted money? Also what size exhaust should i run? I was thinking 2 and a half but ive heard people saying to stay with the stock and a quarter.
Since you have a 2004 and want to use Flowmaster mufflers, why not just get the Flowmaster cat-back?
Old 09-21-2009, 06:25 PM
Launching!

Id get spintech or corsa, flowmaster sounds like *** to me but thats my opinion.
Old 09-21-2009, 06:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

i have a magnaflow catback. a little quiet a idle but i like how it sounds at WOT.
Old 09-21-2009, 07:13 PM
Staging Lane

go to ls1gto.com or gtoforum.com cant remember which one but theres an exhaust database with just about every combination you can think of in the exhaust threads, but i'm running kooks lt's with off road mids and spintech catback and i wouldnt go any other way. it's an expensive combo though.. just about any header to catback system is going to sound good, some just sound more deep or more exotic than others.
Old 09-21-2009, 08:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The corsa exhaust and all that are way expensive. Ive always liked Flowmaster. I think im going to do a full cat back exhaust with an X pipe and Flowmaster Super 44's. I was quoted 450 out the door today which so far sounds like a good deal.
Old 09-21-2009, 08:53 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by ULTIMATEORANGESS
i have a magnaflow catback. a little quiet a idle but i like how it sounds at WOT.
Couldn't have said it better myself.

I love the sounds of magnaflows when you go WOT.

Very tame for driving through neighborhoods though...unless you want it to not be
Old 09-21-2009, 09:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

So you think magnaflow? I listened to them on youtube and i like them. The spintech sound the best to me but for some reason im not liking the sound of the flowmaster. I guess its between the spintech and magnaflow.

What i want is a nice agressive sound at idle ( not really loud ) and when i floor it racing someone or passing i want it to be noticed. ( so pretty much i want what everyone else wants )
Old 09-21-2009, 09:10 PM
Staging Lane

this is my setup, never had anything but compliments other than from the wife about it being too loud.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rRwsSr0gT6g
Old 09-21-2009, 10:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

That sounds pretty nice man. So with everyone on here using long tube headers do you think the power they add is worth the high price?
Old 09-21-2009, 10:42 PM
12 Second Club

That sounds pretty nice man. So with everyone on here using long tube headers do you think the power they add is worth the high price?
Yes sir...
Old 09-21-2009, 11:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes Corsa is a high price to pay.... but look what your getting.... stainless steel exhaust, lifetime warranty.. and the BEST part... NO DRONE.. The other exhaust setup's do have it... and Flowmasters being the worst at it... We do get hit with the same tax as the Vette guys... higher prices... LT's the same way... My Kooks were $1200.... now for just a catback look in the (FS) For Sale section here and over on LS1GTO. You can save quite a bit that way... I saved $450 on my Corsa and that was before shipping. Deals are out there.... I know its hard with $$$ in hand LOL

Kyle
Old 09-22-2009, 12:48 AM
Staging Lane

So you think magnaflow? I listened to them on youtube and i like them. The spintech sound the best to me but for some reason im not liking the sound of the flowmaster. I guess its between the spintech and magnaflow.

What i want is a nice agressive sound at idle ( not really loud ) and when i floor it racing someone or passing i want it to be noticed. ( so pretty much i want what everyone else wants )
I guess it depends on how obnoxious you want to be to everyone else. Long tubes are definitely going to make it louder and even louder if you go the off road mid route opposed to high flow cats. Mine's not obnoxious at an idle but has a great rumble to it and isn't really really loud until WOT, which at that point it sounds like a nascar, ridiculously loud, love it.
Old 09-22-2009, 06:08 AM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Little Info, Its a known fact that Flowmaster is actually more restrictive than stock. So I wouldnt go with Flowmaster unless you just going for sound. If you want raw loundness, you can go with a Corsa, Spintech, or SLP LM1..... But if your going for sound and performance I would go with Magnaflow.... My setup started out as a Magnaflow CB but at the time I just had Longtubes and the CB. I wanted something a little louder and cut out the Magnaflow mufflers and went with SLP LM1's in there place... Now that I have a cam its just way to loud and raspy, I plan on going back with the Magaflow for the sound..... If I were to suggest one for you, Magnaflow is the way to go. But if you plan on keeping her pretty much stock for now I would go with a SLP to wake up the sound a bit, Magnaflow is quiet when stock, but once you do headers ect they wake the **** up. SLP's start off with a good sound stock, but once you start modding like headers ect... Forget about it, its too crazy. Just my .02
Old 09-22-2009, 08:22 AM
Board Certified Idiot

Corsa-sport or spintech.Both sound the same. One Is SS other is ALuminum. Both sound stock while just Driving around. Both also offer a amazing scream at WOT. Ohh !! I also forgot the POP POP POP sound they give is also a sweet

Quick Reply: What exhaust do you guys recommend?