Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

In need of a little help, 06 GTO wont start

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2010, 11:35 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default In need of a little help, 06 GTO wont start

I posted this on LS1GTO as well,

Its been a problem for awhile now, start the car, go down the street; stop get gas go to start the car again and it wont start. After a few tries it would start finally but lately it has gotten alot worse. So yesterday I took the battery to get checked and according to my local autozone it checked out fine. however the positive terminal had alot of corrosion on it as well as on the positive lead, so I spent a good hour yesterday cleaning both hooked it back up and the car started up, safe to say I was thrilled however I went out a few hours later to start it again and it wouldnt start again, just "click, click." I've been advised now to check for corrosion at the starter and possibly the ground from the starter being melted due to the headers being close to the starter. Anyways its a frustrating situation so if anyone has had the same experience or has some knowledge to enlighten me with it would be appreciate it.

ps...we scanned it the other night with hp tuners and no codes were present also the charging system seemed to be functioning fine, I also know this because I ran the car yesterday for a few minutes with the battery disconnected.

thanks for the help
Old 04-07-2010, 11:41 AM
Launching!

I know that right before my battery went out, if I were to take it to autozone, they would tell me it checked out fine (because the alternator had charged it just enough on the trip over for it to check out) but I would get home and the battery would lose charge quickly. Corrosion on the terminal could definitely hurt the charging abilities while driving. The battery is probably pretty weak if there has been corrosion on the terminals for awhile. It might be time to change the batter? How old is it? Just a thought...
Old 04-07-2010, 12:38 PM
Teching In

We bought the car used with 17k on it, the battery was in the car when we bought it. It says it is a 7 year ac delco battery. I took the battery out of the car and took it down to autozone for them to test it. a part of me still wants to blame the battery.
Old 04-07-2010, 12:51 PM
TECH Resident

Just give up now. Not worth the hassle to try and fix it...becuse it cant be fixed.
Old 04-07-2010, 01:25 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 06 6.0 GTO
Just give up now. Not worth the hassle to try and fix it...becuse it cant be fixed.
Please clarify a little bit?!?!?
Old 04-07-2010, 08:52 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 06 6.0 GTO
Yea, WTF, I don't get it either.

If I were you, I would just change the battery anyway. It's the cheapest route for right now. Then the starter...
Old 04-08-2010, 05:53 PM
Teching In

hmmmmm, well when my GTO didnt want to start, i had to clean this little sucker circled in red. My car literally didnt even tun on the emergency lights!! hope this helps
Old 04-09-2010, 12:14 PM
Teching In

yea, I didnt hit that part yet, its worth a try before I settle on going underneath the car.

thanks
Old 04-09-2010, 03:42 PM
TECH Resident

It could be the alternator..I think what that guy meant by giving up was just getting a new battery. Check the starter wires,one maybe loose. If there are no codes,I bet its a loose wire somewhere,batt or alt..
Old 04-12-2010, 10:40 PM
Teching In

Well the problem seems to be the power lead going to the starter, play with the lead the car fires up. Very weird to me, any ideas could be loose at the starter or bad wire all together?
Old 04-13-2010, 08:47 AM
11 Second Club

I've had the same issue for well over a year and we tightened all the wires on the starter and made sure they weren't close to any other metal, and mine hasn't had that problem for over a month now.
Also, one thing to be aware of is that the alternator has a clutch on it, and it it fails, the pulley on the alternator is just spinning and not charging your alternator very well, if at all. I ran into this problem also, and had the same starting issues.
Old 04-16-2010, 04:22 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by butchie&michy
Well the problem seems to be the power lead going to the starter, play with the lead the car fires up. Very weird to me, any ideas could be loose at the starter or bad wire all together?
Irocem99 FTW
Old 06-02-2010, 11:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 05JUDGE
I've had the same issue for well over a year and we tightened all the wires on the starter and made sure they weren't close to any other metal, and mine hasn't had that problem for over a month now.
Also, one thing to be aware of is that the alternator has a clutch on it, and it it fails, the pulley on the alternator is just spinning and not charging your alternator very well, if at all. I ran into this problem also, and had the same starting issues.
My friend has an '05 GTO that has intermittent charging issues. Sometimes it will charge perfectly right around 14V, other times it will stop charging all together and the voltage will drop to battery voltage.

I am starting to think its the alt pulley clutch, do you know what controls its engagement and is there any way to replace a failed one??
Old 06-03-2010, 10:58 PM
10 Second Club

The corrosion could have made it's way down the positive wire toward the starter. If it were me I would perform a voltage drop test and see how many volts the starter is really getting when cranking. And on a fuel injected car I would not suggest removing the battery while the car is running. And replace the battery. Delco batteries are junk and once they start leaking they don't stop. Clean up your ground connnection too while you got your hands dirty.
Old 06-03-2010, 11:03 PM
10 Second Club

And the starter doesn't have a ground wire externally. It uses the engine it's bolted to for ground.

And this clutch in the altenator crap I don't beleive. I've had mine off before and there is no clutch that I could see. The PCM controls wether it charges or not.
Old 06-04-2010, 02:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

1. Next time it happens, turn on the headlights, have someone watch the lights when you try to start the car, if they go out at the same time as you hear "click", then the problem is most likely one of the battery connections, or the ground cable from the battery to the frame.

2. Does the car have the normal strap from the frame to the engine?

3. If the lights stay on bright, and the car has a good ground, I would look into the starter/starter solenoid

Just my opinion.

Quick Reply: In need of a little help, 06 GTO wont start