Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

Traction issues with a blown 2005 GTO

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2010, 09:04 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Traction issues with a blown 2005 GTO

Hey guys sorry if this is a reoccuring question, but I want to know what is the widest tire you can get on a 2005 GTO on the rear of a stock GTO 17x8 inch wheel?

Also, what is the widest wheel you can get on the rear of a stock GTO without doing any cosmetic fixes (trimming or rolling the quarter panel/fender well)?

Lastly are there any other parts, recommdations or suggestions you have for getting better traction?

The problem is my dad's GTO is not getting any traction due to a Maggie M112 lol! The car put down 470 hp and 454 tq with a slipping belt tensioner that came with the blower and a slipping stock GTO clutch, hence why he put a new Monster Stage 3 clutch in and a LS3 Corvette belt tensioner upgrade from Magnuson. Now it's solid just the traction issue lol

My dad wants to keep the stock wheels so it has a sleeper look. He is debating on having the wheels widened to either a 9 or 9.5 inch, so he can put either a 275 or 285 on. The 285 is pushing it pretty close to the shock though. If any of you have done this let me know how it went.

Any advice is appreciated thanks for the help guys!

Last edited by navybluephoenix; 05-05-2010 at 09:24 PM.
Old 05-05-2010, 09:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Depends on tire as for the widest in general. Tell your dad to spend 1/3 of what he did on the FI and get a full tub done on the gto and don't worry about traction.

Is your dad running street tires? If so tell him to get some MT ET Streets.
Old 05-05-2010, 10:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

https://ls1tech.com/forums/wheels-ti...-2005-gto.html
Old 05-05-2010, 11:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Don't see anything mentioned on how it was done. Assuming it took a nice amount of coin.
Old 05-06-2010, 02:49 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Having 315s wont help unless you they are sticky. Throw a 275 drag radial on it and be done with it. People are under the impression that bigger is always better and its not true. The 275 DR will hook better then a 315 street tire no ifs ands or buts.
Old 05-06-2010, 04:30 AM
Now you have my attention

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Might want to look into some half shafts too.

That should cure the wheelhop.
Old 05-06-2010, 09:06 AM
11 Second Club

While people have put wider tires on the GTO; generally, a 275 wide tire is about the largest that will fit without grinding or rolling the fenders. That's borderline too wide for a 8" wheel in my opinion. That said, the quick and easy fix is to get a pair of 275-40-17 Nitto drag radials. They run a narrower than most other brands and will give you the stickiest tire with the least amount of hassle (for stock wheels and no fender work). Most people have no problem with rubbing mounted on stock wheels. It's possible if the rear springs sag, you might rub under hard launch. A new pair of Pedders stock height stiffer rear springs (or drag bags) will probably be all you need. I ran 275 Nittos on stock wheels for a year with no problem. I now have 275 Mickey Thompson drag radials mounted on 17X9 wheels. Even with Pedders springs and shocks, I had to grind 1/4" off the inner fender lip.

Trending Topics

Old 05-06-2010, 09:29 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

my 315's are Mickey Thompson Drag Radials. They stick!
Old 05-06-2010, 11:33 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by danieloneil01
Depends on tire as for the widest in general. Tell your dad to spend 1/3 of what he did on the FI and get a full tub done on the gto and don't worry about traction.

Is your dad running street tires? If so tell him to get some MT ET Streets.
That's what I was saying to him, let's tub it! But he don't want to Yeah he has Goodyear Eagle F1 GSD3's and I told him to go for MT's like you said, but he takes the GTO to work, which is about 45 min away and he is concerned with the MT's being a softer compund that they will wear out too quickly or catch something like a nail easier and just driving in the rain.

Originally Posted by tom's2005gto
my 315's are Mickey Thompson Drag Radials. They stick!
Wow dear Lord that is awesome! Your car is absolutely amazing! I love how the blower whine is insinc with the lope of the cam at idle. How do you like the TVS vs. your 122? Are there any benefits or any major differences besides design? Sounds like it has a different tone to it too. Those videos were great btw and thanks for sending me the link to your thread very very much appreciated. That's kind of funny my dad's name is Tom and his GTO is a 2005 as well lol! He says sweet ride!

Originally Posted by DicN
Might want to look into some half shafts too.

That should cure the wheelhop.
Sorry, what are half shafts? Is that relating to the CV's? Btw love your avatar, funny as hell!

Originally Posted by batboy
While people have put wider tires on the GTO; generally, a 275 wide tire is about the largest that will fit without grinding or rolling the fenders. That's borderline too wide for a 8" wheel in my opinion. That said, the quick and easy fix is to get a pair of 275-40-17 Nitto drag radials. They run a narrower than most other brands and will give you the stickiest tire with the least amount of hassle (for stock wheels and no fender work). Most people have no problem with rubbing mounted on stock wheels. It's possible if the rear springs sag, you might rub under hard launch. A new pair of Pedders stock height stiffer rear springs (or drag bags) will probably be all you need. I ran 275 Nittos on stock wheels for a year with no problem. I now have 275 Mickey Thompson drag radials mounted on 17X9 wheels. Even with Pedders springs and shocks, I had to grind 1/4" off the inner fender lip.
Yes, I completely agree that a regular 275 is pushing the limit on the stock wheel. I did tell my dad to look at Nitto because their compund is not as soft as MT and would last longer. He did do research on them and found out about how they run narrower, I had no idea about that. I forgot to mention that my dad did put Pedders Drag Shocks and Springs in the back. Thank you very much for the awesome info, very much appreciated! Your avatar is badass btw my dad loves it ! What kind of wheels do you have now?

Last edited by navybluephoenix; 05-06-2010 at 11:58 PM.
Old 05-07-2010, 04:01 AM
Board Certified Idiot

I would swap out the old stock bushings. For a nice new stronger set to go with the springs & shocks you allready have. When I changed my back springs my bushings were shot on my car.
Old 05-07-2010, 11:21 PM
Banned

Drag Bags, Half Shafts, Nitto INVOS. Should do the trick.
Old 05-08-2010, 12:35 AM
11 Second Club

I have SSR Type C wheels, very light weight.

Old 05-11-2010, 08:58 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by batboy
I have SSR Type C wheels, very light weight.

And very nice looking!
Old 05-16-2010, 11:03 PM
On The Tree

I ran nitto 555r stock size 245. They helped I had them on when I ran my 500rwhp maggie.

Quick Reply: Traction issues with a blown 2005 GTO