Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

Obx cat back exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2011, 06:00 AM
Rob
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Stock exhaust flows extremely well, surprisingly. I had a Corsa Touring and got rid of it because I hated the sound. Went back to the stock catback and only lost a handful of HP on the dyno. So I'll live with the better sounding exhaust, albeit quiet, and a little HP loss.

BTW, when I swapped back mine was around 430rwhp. So it flows pretty good.
Old 10-27-2011, 09:53 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob
Stock exhaust flows extremely well, surprisingly. I had a Corsa Touring and got rid of it because I hated the sound. Went back to the stock catback and only lost a handful of HP on the dyno. So I'll live with the better sounding exhaust, albeit quiet, and a little HP loss.

BTW, when I swapped back mine was around 430rwhp. So it flows pretty good.

The 04 exhaust sounds better than the 05-06 exhaust. Even though it only exits on the left side it is still a true dual exhaust too. The 05-06 corsa exhaust is kinda raspy due to the x pipe and some don't like it.

Last edited by bridges; 10-28-2011 at 11:34 PM.
Old 10-27-2011, 11:59 AM
TECH Enthusiast

the 04 corsa isn't a x pipe its a y pipe design
Old 10-27-2011, 06:33 PM
Launching!

LOVE my OEm pipes with x-pipe and Magnaflow 14211's. I mean it sounds so perfect lol. 100 times better then my Borla muffler's.
Old 10-28-2011, 06:01 AM
Rob
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by massillongoat
Yep. Just the mufflers are different between the Sport and Touring.
Old 10-28-2011, 06:37 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Rob
Mufflers are the same between the Touring and the Sport. The Touring system uses a second pair of mufflers.
Old 10-28-2011, 06:39 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by massillongoat
Hey bud, where did you find the 04 Corsa system for $500.00? I've been looking for a system for my friend, but I can't seem to find one under $850.00.
Old 10-28-2011, 06:48 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Rob
My bad Rob, thought you were talking about the 05-06 GTO.
Old 10-29-2011, 12:16 AM
12 Second Club

I got my Borla for $475 shipped. Killer deal i know, but they are out there if you look and be patient. FYI on the GTO the aftermarket cat-backs aren't gaining anyone more than 5-6 rwhp anyways. The stock exhaust system flows very well compared to its competitors. Mostly what you are paying for is the few lbs that are lost, the x-pipe, and tone.
Old 10-30-2011, 12:58 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by 96WS6guy
OBX doesn't have to spend any, they let Corsa do it for them, lol. Everyone is going to buy whatever they want, but I'm going to throw my $.02 in there. The American companies that do all the R&D and sell there parts for 3 times as much as the OBX need to notice they are loosing business to them BECAUSE of the cost of R&D. The claim that the anti-OBX crowd makes is "OBX are cheap and they sell cheap because they didn't spend the hours to do the research." How long can the American company say that they did the research, so they should charge 3 times as much? Those man hours would've been paid off quicker if they sold the product for a cheaper price and same quality. Eliminate OBX as a competitor by lowering the price which would, not only get the American company more business, BUT it would cause the OTHER American companies to lower their prices to keep making money. Capitalism can work for everyone here, not just the Chinese.
Well first off..I am willing to bet that muffler is just a straight through bullet muffler, and nothing like a Corsa muffler inside, which is quite complex.

As for American companies taking notice..honestly...there have always been people who buy completely based of price, and don't mind having cheap knock off crap. There have been fake Oakey's, Fake Nikes, and Fake Rolex's for ever. Some people want nice things..but either don't have the money, or mental ability to the value in an American designed, and manufactuered product. The problem is..you can't have your cake and eat it too. You can't have American designed and manufactuered, with American based support, and a lifetime warranty, at an Ebay, Chinese knock off price.

In my opinion, The real shame would be the day that American companies start losing business to the point where they DO have to take steps to compete with a overseas knock offs. A company like Corsa engineers excellent exhausts, and has been an innovater for many years. They shut down production, and engineering, and just sell Chinese knock offs, not only does the local community lose, but so does the aftermaket as a whole. IMO if your budget only allows for knock off parts, than modding cars is in general enough of a descretionary purchase that you really need to look at if it is something you should be doing at all.
Old 10-30-2011, 11:11 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by MarylandSpeed
Well first off..I am willing to bet that muffler is just a straight through bullet muffler, and nothing like a Corsa muffler inside, which is quite complex.

As for American companies taking notice..honestly...there have always been people who buy completely based of price, and don't mind having cheap knock off crap. There have been fake Oakey's, Fake Nikes, and Fake Rolex's for ever. Some people want nice things..but either don't have the money, or mental ability to the value in an American designed, and manufactuered product. The problem is..you can't have your cake and eat it too. You can't have American designed and manufactuered, with American based support, and a lifetime warranty, at an Ebay, Chinese knock off price.

In my opinion, The real shame would be the day that American companies start losing business to the point where they DO have to take steps to compete with a overseas knock offs. A company like Corsa engineers excellent exhausts, and has been an innovater for many years. They shut down production, and engineering, and just sell Chinese knock offs, not only does the local community lose, but so does the aftermaket as a whole. IMO if your budget only allows for knock off parts, than modding cars is in general enough of a descretionary purchase that you really need to look at if it is something you should be doing at all.
i completely agree with you but the price for an "American made" cat back is absurd
Old 10-30-2011, 12:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I found it on ls1gto.com apparently the neighbors don't like the corsa at my shop...cops made an appearance at my shop yesterday haha
Old 10-30-2011, 04:39 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by kornerz
i completely agree with you but the price for an "American made" cat back is absurd
Only when you compare it to an overseas knock off, only sold on ebay, that is made in a country that artificially devalues it's currancy.
Old 10-30-2011, 07:15 PM
Staging Lane

You're not going to get an argument from me except in one place (in bold). The fact that those knock off parts are available is what makes it not a discretionary purchase, lol. Only time will tell with the parts, and people do have to learn the hard way!
Old 10-30-2011, 09:44 PM
Teching In

Only when you compare it to an overseas knock off, only sold on ebay, that is made in a country that artificially devalues it's currancy.
Currency devaluation makes for good fodder for people who don't understand economics to whine and bitch, but the reality is that what they're actually doing is subsidizing goods being exported to the United States via purchasing up US debt. It's what BOTH sides want in the first place in order for it to happen. If not then we are in more trouble than we can dig our way out of.

US sells them debt, China buys it up and thus the RMB falls relative to the USD. When you compare the RMB to other currencies, the "devaluation" argument really starts to drop off.
In effect, Americans who thrash against this RMB manipulation and suggest it is a point of hostile contention or economic warfare are basically saying "I don't want China to shovel hundreds of billions of RMB into American government coffers because that makes the Chinese a bunch of ********."

Now I'm an american that can't stand the fact that WE owe them 1.2 trillion. Hell that is more than the GDP of Australia. After you divide it up every family in america owes them 15 grand. I know it is kinda hard for a lot of people to wrap there head around what kind of number that is.

$1,200,000,000,000.00

None of which has anything to do with the OP's question? To which I say buy it. If they took the time to copy the actual layout of the corsa, then they probably took two minutes to cut the dang muffler open to see how that was designed too.
Old 10-30-2011, 09:54 PM
Teching In

Now this I agree with you on.

Which is why we will be riding a Russian space vehicle. We can't afford the high quality american one.
Old 11-10-2011, 06:58 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by trbolssln0522
Here's a sound clip link for the OBX exhaust:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B20ps...eature=related

Even though it looks similar to the Corsa, it sounds nothing like it, however sounds more like a Borla tone. Still a nice tone, not just that Corsa sound that everyone craves. One of my favorite things about the Corsa, even the Sport exhaust is that there is absolutely NO drone and all the rumble and tone is kept outside. Not to mention the poppiness you get from that exhaust when you throw a cam in the mix sounds absolutely SICK!
LOL. Nobody notice the voice in the back ground. The all to familiar "What are you doing? "
Old 08-20-2014, 03:05 PM

Anybody know of a good exhaust shop in new jersey area. Please help thanks looking to install kooks headers and stainless works exhaust please let me know ASAP.
Old 08-20-2014, 05:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

WOW !!!!! nothing like bring back a 3 year old post !

better to ask a question like this in your region , and not in a general forum section
Old 09-06-2014, 07:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

This reminds me, the obx catback I had in my hands a few months ago was total crap. Poor welds, slip fit sections not fitting, hanger accuracy issues... stay away from obx. Just the fact that a catback system is US made doesn't mean it's great though. I ordered a kooks catback a while back and it fit like crap too. The bends were engineered in the worst way and it was packaged poorly.

Do your research before buying. Corsa and Borla are two of the best fitting and engineered kits for anyone looking...

Quick Reply: Obx cat back exhaust