Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

IAC or MAF?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2011, 10:57 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default IAC or MAF?

My GTO has been acting up lately,when on low rpms or making a turn the engine kills itself (ive had several near misses) took it to autozone and they told me it could be the IAC sensor that needed to be replaced 90$, so i took it home and cleaned the IAC and the MAF sensor with carb cleaner but that didnt work. I also tested both with a voltometer...i have no clue what the functional ohmz for each part is I called autozone and told them that if the IAC was not the problem could i return the part and the answer was no Anyone else had this problem with the goat? I dont want to pay 90$ just for the fun of it. Im literally afraid to drive the car

M6
Gutted MAF
SPEC stage 2 clutch
FAST 92 mm TB and manifold
AEM Brute Force intake
VX SNL cam package (tuned)
no cats
Old 02-28-2011, 09:26 PM
12 Second Club

I would've taken the iat sensor right back off and put it in the box and told them it wasnt the part i needed. Have u done any work on the car lately? Removed anything? Mine kind of acted up and would die when i forgot to plug my map sensor back in lol
Old 03-04-2011, 10:30 AM
TECH Enthusiast

and the problem spraying carb cleaner in the maf sensor....
Old 03-04-2011, 11:06 AM
Staging Lane

They don't accept returns on electrical parts. No one does! Certainly not dealerships. My guess would be your IACV or map. I had a similar problem after installing my FAST 102. Both items broke during the install. The map affected fuel economy. The car would shut off during low rpm turns or starts. My suggestion, unplug the IACV and see if it makes a difference. My guess is that it won't, thereby convincing you that its the IACV.
Old 03-18-2011, 04:29 PM
Teching In

got some time to troubleshoot the GTO today and this is what i found: MAF fully functional

If i disconnect the IAC the car will run as usual, when i take out the IAC the car wont start, BUT when i take out the IAC and put tape on the IAC hole, the car runs as usual :S

I came to the conclusion that the IAC is not working properly.... am i right or wrong?
Attached Thumbnails IAC or MAF?-ntp.jpg   IAC or MAF?-tp.jpg  
Old 03-22-2011, 01:47 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by alvarZ28
got some time to troubleshoot the GTO today and this is what i found: MAF fully functional

If i disconnect the IAC the car will run as usual, when i take out the IAC the car wont start, BUT when i take out the IAC and put tape on the IAC hole, the car runs as usual :S

I came to the conclusion that the IAC is not working properly.... am i right or wrong?
By 'running', I assume you only mean it stays on, and not driving. Take it for a drive. Odds are when you decelerate to 0, it will shut off.
Old 03-22-2011, 04:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

please DO NOT USE CARB CLEANER ANYMORE. CRC makes MAF cleaner. i suggest you buy a can of that before spraying anymore electrical parts.

also, your car wont run correctly with the IAC out because there is unmetered air going into your engine through that hole, hence why the tape aids in your car running.

id say take the car out for a drive with the sensor in place but unplugged. if the car acts differently, then that is your problem and you should go buy the part.

derek
Old 03-25-2011, 09:24 PM
Teching In

Ok...... so i read everyones answers, thank you for the advice. Today i got more time to spend with the GTO and this is what I found:

If I turn the steering wheel completely to either side while the car is idiling, the car shuts off completely

I checked around the FAST manifold for vacuum leaks with starter fluid and found no leaks

A friend keeps on insisting that the problem is the IAC, while the other says its a problem with the power steering.

How about you guys? Anyone had this problem?
I dont trust mechanics so im going to try to avoid going to one at all costs
Old 03-26-2011, 03:16 PM
Staging Lane

I'm not sure what more you want people to say to you. I've told you that its the IACV. If you want me to rephrase: IACV it is.

The power steering wont cause a car to shut off. If you have power steering problems, you will feel tension in the steering.

Have you noticed that whenever you turn your steering wheel at rest, your idle goes up a bit, or bounces? Well, if your IACV is bad, and you turn your steering wheel, the idle will bounce up. On the return down, it wont have enough resistance/input from the IACV to catch it and maintain proper idle, and so the rpms will fall all the way to 0, thus shutting off your car.
I imagine if you were to give it a few hard revs, the same thing would happen.
Old 07-04-2017, 10:17 AM
Teching In

I am having the same problems on an LS1 with the fast 102 intake, but I am not finding a resolution in this thread. Can anyone help?

Quick Reply: IAC or MAF?