Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

Weighed the GTO today after winter diet

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2011, 09:37 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by impulsegoat
The Y-brace has nothing to do with safety (it's for some sort of towing hitch to be hooked to.. rip it out 13lbs w/ bolts). The gas tank brace i recently did take out as well. Heaviest part iv taken off the car yet. I weighed the brace alone at 24.2lbs (bathroom scale). There's a pic either here on tech or on ls1gto.com in a thread where a guy was rear ended and the gas tank brace flew out and was unharmed. Basically it flew out without serving a purpose whatsoever. If your a paranoid person leave it in. But me i could care less. I don't drive my car around worrying about getting rear ended at high speeds. Just my opinion tho. Other gto owners will tell u to absolutely not take it out. At the end of the day it's your call.

P.S. I also DD mine w/o the skid plate on as sicgto does.. just be aware and don't run things over..
Agreed! Another guy on ls1gto.com didnt have his tank brace in the car and spun out on the highway, hit the wall with his rear and everything was fine. So what Im saying is you would have to get rear ended pretty damn hard for it to be effective IMO. I DD without that also.
Old 03-24-2011, 10:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

3660 nice.. did u pull all the seats to achieve that weight?
yeah doesnt take long but the air bag default is starting to get annoying but sall good.
Old 03-24-2011, 10:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Too late for that.. i pulled my seats out to do a blue interior swap before i did any reading so i already deal with that annoying beeping sound everytime i start mine up. Might actually get up to the dealership this year and get it cleared.
Is the weight you listed above, with or without the seats?
Old 03-24-2011, 10:41 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Speeds8erM-1
Is the weight you listed above, with or without the seats?
The weight i listed is with my seats and a system in the trunk. It sits around 3600lbs w/o me in it.
Old 03-24-2011, 10:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Wonder how much lighter a 6 speed car is than your auto? People have always speculated on f-bodys, Mustangs, as to the difference in weight. A T56, flywheel, clutch, etc is pretty heavt, but damn sure lighter than a 4Lanything and converter. It seems like your car could easily get down to mid 3600's or less with driver if it were a 6 speed, and had no system.

Interesting.
Old 03-24-2011, 10:57 PM
12 Second Club

Agreed. When i had the 3400 PTC converter put in it surely didn't feel any lighter than the stock one. If i pulled the system and had a 1/4 tank of gas i could be around 3700 lbs w/ me in it. Maybe a shade under 3700. It will be interesting to see if my car still hooks as good at the track w/o as much rear end weight.
Old 03-30-2011, 11:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

imo u should move the battery to the trunk if u remove all the extra rear weight.it just makes sense to keep as much ballast in the trunk as possible.that would be the same thing as just removing front end weight. would probably make the thing handle better in the twisties too. on my goat ,if i take the spare out and run on a 1/4 tank on street tires i cannot hook at all at the track.keep that rear weight in there, even if u have to move it from the front . my .02.
Old 03-30-2011, 02:10 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by newschool72
imo u should move the battery to the trunk if u remove all the extra rear weight.it just makes sense to keep as much ballast in the trunk as possible.that would be the same thing as just removing front end weight. would probably make the thing handle better in the twisties too. on my goat ,if i take the spare out and run on a 1/4 tank on street tires i cannot hook at all at the track.keep that rear weight in there, even if u have to move it from the front . my .02.
Im not on street tires and i still have my system back there for some kind of weight. Keep in mind i have had 60's of 1.77, 1.78, 1.79 all with 40-42psi in the mickeys... so i havent even begun to take air pressure out of the M/Ts for traction so im hoping i should be ok... Agreed on the battery relocate tho regardless of the outcome.
Old 03-30-2011, 09:02 PM
v8
17,16,15,14,13,12,11 Drvr

well mine could use some weight reduction lol 4100 here with me in it, I added around hp to compensate it lol
Old 03-30-2011, 09:16 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by v8
well mine could use some weight reduction lol 4100 here with me in it, I added around hp to compensate it lol
Weight isn't much of an issue for people who have pockets deep enough to afford F/I.. Nice numbers tho

Quick Reply: Weighed the GTO today after winter diet