Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

Weighed the GTO today after winter diet

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2011, 04:00 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Weighed the GTO today after winter diet

I took my car out to the landfill and jumped on the scale for the first time since iv cut alot of weight. Last time i went out i had a full tank of gas, still had the Y-Brace, gas tank brace, and stock hood and the weight with me in it was 3925. Today when i went out i only had 6 gallons of gas, CB hood, - Y-Brace, - Gas tank brace, and also have LT's w/ catless mids since last weigh in... car weighed 3760 w/ me in it. I was pretty pleased with the new weight. Keep in mind im a small guy only 155 BUT do have a 12'' sub and amp in the trunk still. I have also already done the skid plate removal and spare tire/jack removal. What are some of the things you guys have done to your goats to trim the fat?
Old 03-22-2011, 04:32 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Using a starting curb weight of 3725 lbs. Curb weight includes fuel.

Remove 12 gallons of gas: -72 lbs
Unbolt both stock Rear mufflers: -38 lbs
Remove resonator, replace with x or H: -10 lbs
Put on new mufflers as part of catback: +20
Remove skidplate: -15
Remove Fuel tank brace: -25
Remove brackets and bolts holding brace: -5
Remove V-brace: -13
Remove V-brace plastic + bolts: -3
Remove spare + jack: -42
Remove stock manifolds + mids: -70 (educated guess)
Add LT's and catless mids: +42 lbs (measured)
Replace battery with 21 lb Braille: -16
Remove muffler shields: -5
Remove engine bay liner: -3
Remove floor mats: -5
Remove Spare Tire carpet: -5

Total: 3460 lbs
How much do these front and rear crash bars weigh?

Even with a full tank, you are still at 200 lbs of reduction, and if you just make a point to never go above 1/2 tank, then you are looking at 250 lbs gone on a daily basis.

For Racing
Remove Rear Seats: -40
Remove Passenger Seat: -65
Add drag wheels + skinnies: -50 (from another thread)

Total: 3305

We haven't even gotten to anything crazy yet. I would imagine that if you got rid of power steering and AC, you could probably shave another 65 lbs. Lightweight driver seat = -45 or so. I think Gforce or someone is working on a manual rack to get rid of the power steering. Last I read, Gforce is also working on a lightweight tubular K-member for the front end that sounds like it could shave a good amount of pounds.
Here's a quote on that:
Tubular K-member with F-body strut so you can use F-body brakes. They are lighter then the Mustang brakes and it opens up the choices on brake options.
They said they dropped 185 lbs off the front of a 3rd gen F-body they did like this.

Heres another list from ls1gto.com someone posted. I'm sure alot is a repost from what's above
-v-brace
-plastic over v-brace
-skid plate
-radiator support
-hood liner
-strut tower bar I think it's called in the engine bay
-sound deadener inside car under rug, in doors, and in interior panels
-aftermarket lighter full exhaust
-muffler heat shields
-gas tank protection braces
-spare, jack, and corresponding parts/styrafoam(sp?)
-all trunk carpet
-front sway bar
-front and rear crash bars in bumpers (5mph?)
-a/c system, p/s system,
-empty out any extra stuff in car
-remove passenger seat
-remove rear seats
-Cut out extra metal or metal support stuff behind rear seats I read somewhere
-drive on 1/2 a tank of gas or less
-put yourself on a diet lol

Money stuff:
-lightweight driveshaft
-lightweight wheels
-lightweight seats
-lightweight hood
-lightweight doors or trunk(don't even know if they make them)
-lexan windows
-Lightweight suspension parts
Old 03-22-2011, 09:26 PM
12 Second Club

NEVER REMOVE THE SEATS!!!!! Or you get cursed with that dreaded airbag fault light. For weight reduction i went with a hsv skidplate, remove the fuel tank brace, v brace, spare tire and tools, and i go to the track with only a 1/4 of gas.
Old 03-22-2011, 10:08 PM
On The Tree

what is the v brace yall speak of?

do yall ever remove the front sway bar for track only?
Old 03-22-2011, 11:20 PM
Launching!

I think they mean y brace?
Old 03-22-2011, 11:20 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Joeyelbows
NEVER REMOVE THE SEATS!!!!! Or you get cursed with that dreaded airbag fault light. For weight reduction i went with a hsv skidplate, remove the fuel tank brace, v brace, spare tire and tools, and i go to the track with only a 1/4 of gas.
Too late for that.. i pulled my seats out to do a blue interior swap before i did any reading so i already deal with that annoying beeping sound everytime i start mine up. Might actually get up to the dealership this year and get it cleared.
Old 03-22-2011, 11:22 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yup i did too i got that light and beeps, its just ******* annoying but idgaf lol i weighed my gto at race weight basicly no seats n u know the usualy stuff u take off at quarter take it was 3660
Old 03-22-2011, 11:25 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 1_fast_gto
what is the v brace yall speak of?

do yall ever remove the front sway bar for track only?
V or Y.. i thought everyone referred to it as the y-brace. Anyway its located underneath the rear end plastic. There are 4 or 5 17mm bolts that can be VERY hard to get loose but once you get that plastic out of the way you will be looking right at it. I weighed it on my bathroom scale and came up with 12.2lbs. Plus if u add hardware and leave the plastic piece off you are looking at another 5-6lbs id say. Right now with under a 1/4 tank of gas and me not in the car it should sit a little under 3600 lbs (i have a system in the trunk).
Old 03-22-2011, 11:27 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 1904gto
yup i did too i got that light and beeps, its just ******* annoying but idgaf lol i weighed my gto at race weight basicly no seats n u know the usualy stuff u take off at quarter take it was 3660
3660 nice.. did u pull all the seats to achieve that weight?
Old 03-23-2011, 10:56 AM
12 Second Club

A little FYI if you have a friend with a snap on modis they can clear the code for ya.
Old 03-23-2011, 11:40 AM

IMO weight removal on these cars is pointless unless if you are going to track it on a regular basis. I for one would not remove parts like the stock skid plate, gas tank brace, etc. ... If you only drive on the street, those parts are just added protection and the weight savings is not significant enough to improve anything.

If you want to real gains in performance, mod the suspension and add power.
Old 03-23-2011, 01:45 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Joeyelbows
A little FYI if you have a friend with a snap on modis they can clear the code for ya.
Im not familiar with what you are talking about. Could u explain a bit about it?
Old 03-23-2011, 01:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

Yeah the skid plate in front can be replaced with a lightweight Holden piece that weighs like 3 lbs. I wouldn't want to run around without one. One piece of debris could destroy the oil pan.
Old 03-23-2011, 06:39 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Robofuzz
Yeah the skid plate in front can be replaced with a lightweight Holden piece that weighs like 3 lbs. I wouldn't want to run around without one. One piece of debris could destroy the oil pan.
I daily my car without one, not a big deal at all just dont run **** over.
Old 03-23-2011, 08:27 PM
TECH Veteran

Id be interested to get mine on the scales with the iron block and turbo ****! lmao!

Ive got all the normal stuff removed, gutted trunk, no braces, etc. id be interested to see what it weighs.

You said you went to the Scrapyard, I was thinking maybe going to the local Flying J and seeing if i could get up on the cat scales. Not sure if theyd let me, just curiuos though.

And to anyone that wants to make it lighter, do it. Do it all, anything you cant stand to delete. Its only increasing the performance/efficiency of the vehicle. even if its minute, its something.
Old 03-24-2011, 12:32 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by JAX04
Id be interested to get mine on the scales with the iron block and turbo ****! lmao!

Ive got all the normal stuff removed, gutted trunk, no braces, etc. id be interested to see what it weighs.

You said you went to the Scrapyard, I was thinking maybe going to the local Flying J and seeing if i could get up on the cat scales. Not sure if theyd let me, just curiuos though.

And to anyone that wants to make it lighter, do it. Do it all, anything you cant stand to delete. Its only increasing the performance/efficiency of the vehicle. even if its minute, its something.
Ya i went to the local landfill bc that was the closest place with a scale and i knew they wouldnt mind. I weighed it when i first got it out there. And i totally agree JAX anything that u can live without take it out bc its just giving u a better weight to power ratio. I mean i wouldn't do floor mats like some guys have posted but the major stuff for sure.
Old 03-24-2011, 11:09 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by impulsegoat
Im not familiar with what you are talking about. Could u explain a bit about it?
Modis is a scantool from snapon that shops usually have. If you know a friend thats a mechanic they could clear the annoying code for ya. I had my snapon dealer do it for me.
Old 03-24-2011, 12:48 PM
On The Tree

Has anyone had any problems removing the tank or V brace? What, besides the obvious, safety issues could arise from this?
Old 03-24-2011, 01:08 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by GoatPilot87
Has anyone had any problems removing the tank or V brace? What, besides the obvious, safety issues could arise from this?
The Y-brace has nothing to do with safety (it's for some sort of towing hitch to be hooked to.. rip it out 13lbs w/ bolts). The gas tank brace i recently did take out as well. Heaviest part iv taken off the car yet. I weighed the brace alone at 24.2lbs (bathroom scale). There's a pic either here on tech or on ls1gto.com in a thread where a guy was rear ended and the gas tank brace flew out and was unharmed. Basically it flew out without serving a purpose whatsoever. If your a paranoid person leave it in. But me i could care less. I don't drive my car around worrying about getting rear ended at high speeds. Just my opinion tho. Other gto owners will tell u to absolutely not take it out. At the end of the day it's your call.

P.S. I also DD mine w/o the skid plate on as sicgto does.. just be aware and don't run things over..
Old 03-24-2011, 05:36 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by GoatPilot87
No problems what so ever. It will take ya 20minutes.

Quick Reply: Weighed the GTO today after winter diet