Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

Ignition lock cylinder jammed.

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2011, 05:03 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Ignition lock cylinder jammed.

Car is the 04 GTO in the sig,when i put the key FOB inthe ignition it will not turn.Sprayed lithium grease in there and worked the steering wheel and just will not move.I have no problem buying a new ignition lock for 60.00 Bucks,but the problem is i have to take it to the dealer to get re coded anyway.I don't even know if i can load it on my trailer with the steering locked to go to the dealership.What are you guys doing for this problem???
Old 05-12-2011, 05:11 PM
Staging Lane

when mine sticks i push on the key as hard as i can into the cylinder while i turn it and it usually frees up.......

i dont know how better to describe it than as the cylinder turns it retracts into the column at the same time
Old 05-12-2011, 05:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Smile

i just tapped my key and it turned. a flatbed driver showed me lol.
Old 05-12-2011, 07:25 PM
Launching!

Mine did the same a long time ago. I sprayed lithium grease in mine as well and haven't had a problem since.
Old 05-13-2011, 03:56 AM
Now you have my attention

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

To prevent this from happening again do this.

http://www.ls1gto.com/forums/showthr...ght=dremel+mod

Happens quite frequently on the goats. It's worth it when you don't have to worry about it anymore.
Old 05-13-2011, 06:37 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just added that to my favorites in Firefox, lol
Old 05-13-2011, 10:11 AM
On The Tree

yep very common on those cars :-D dont let Dealer replace whole steering column because they like to do that. They will try to tell you cant replace cylinder by itself.
Old 05-13-2011, 11:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

OMG all i can say is look at the aviator in the 3rd post on the LSGTO.com

Eva...
Old 05-14-2011, 07:17 AM
Launching!

Just picked up the Goat from from the Pontiac dealer,it was not as bad as some cases i have heard.They charged me $50.00 for the cylinder and another $200.00 for 2 hours labor.As soon as i got home i sprayed lithium greas in there just to be safe.There is nothing you can do in this situation because the dealer has to re code the new cylinder to your old key FOB AFTER INSTALLATION.
Old 05-14-2011, 01:56 PM
TECH Regular

my key fob never had to be re coded and ive replaced my ignition cylinder 3 times. When i bought the cylinder key switch, it came with the key tumblers, i just matched them with my old and it works perfect.
Old 05-14-2011, 10:34 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by skidmarkSS
Car is the 04 GTO in the sig,when i put the key FOB inthe ignition it will not turn.Sprayed lithium grease in there and worked the steering wheel and just will not move.I have no problem buying a new ignition lock for 60.00 Bucks,but the problem is i have to take it to the dealer to get re coded anyway.I don't even know if i can load it on my trailer with the steering locked to go to the dealership.What are you guys doing for this problem???
Again this is a common issue with our goats. Due to lack of grease and when it gets hot it'll create a pit/rut causing the pin to get stuck hence why the key wont turn.

For you and other on lookers reading this if your key gets stuck.wont turn keep trying give it some back arms/muscles and or let the ignition cool down and get cold and might budge better. Dont right away get it towed and have a dealer mess with it you pay all that money, but you can buy and just need the cylinder ignition lock for 30 bucks at http://www.gmpartsdirect.com/. You dont need the whole kit that includes the tumblers and all that coding crap.

So once your able to finally get the key turning, soon as possible before the rut/pit gets really worse where for sure you'll need to get the whole steering column replaced follow the steps in the other link above and remove the old cylinder lock and before putting in the new one grease it all up and you be good to go.

Or like what i did is dremel grind down the pit/rut to make it smooth and still use the old one thats what i did.

Here a good video for you:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yz_BTfL4SFc

Quick Reply: Ignition lock cylinder jammed.