Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

(EVAP) Evaporative Emission Control System

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2012, 04:07 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default (EVAP) Evaporative Emission Control System

I tried to search this forum on specifics of the EVAP system for the GTO to no available. Some keywords I looked up were: EVAP and evaporative.

Essentially, I'm trying to figure out whether or not the EVAP system is incorporated into the fuel tank. Even if its just a regulator, it's important to know.
Old 03-25-2012, 12:12 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There's a good write up by Konnie the Goat over on LS1GTO about the workings of the evap system. Essentially there is a canister attached underneath in back of the diff and a purge solenoid by the fuel rail on the driver's side.
Old 03-26-2012, 01:14 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Also I think its the actual valve that is mounted between the passenger side wheel and tail light up in the wheel well
Old 03-28-2012, 01:05 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by svede1212
There's a good write up by Konnie the Goat over on LS1GTO about the workings of the evap system. Essentially there is a canister attached underneath in back of the diff and a purge solenoid by the fuel rail on the driver's side.
Cool, that sounds promising.

Originally Posted by mark21742
Also I think its the actual valve that is mounted between the passenger side wheel and tail light up in the wheel well
Even better news
Old 03-28-2012, 09:53 AM
TECH Addict

If you can, fix it and leave it all in....the car will run without it, but might see some loss in mpg
Old 03-29-2012, 12:04 PM
Staging Lane

If you can, fix it and leave it all in....the car will run without it, but might see some loss in mpg
I don't have any issue with the equipment, I just need info on it. If anything is integrated with the fuel tank, the tank must go with the engine if it were to get into a different chassis.
Old 03-30-2012, 08:57 AM
TECH Addict

I'm running my stock tank/ lines in my GTO, but looked at replacing it with a fuel cell....your pump and fuel level sender are in the tank of course, but the fuel line and emissions lines just hook to nipples welded into the tank, so as long as you can get a standard two or 3 nipples on the different tank you should be good, then run fuel level sender of choice and external fuel pump.

Stock sender is 40ohms full- 250 ohms empty.

If you want pics of anything or have any questions just let me know, this weekend i plan on welding a cage frame in to hold my stock tank behind my tube chassis in my 04 goat, and have the stock tank laying in the garage out of Its plastic case
Old 04-08-2012, 02:31 AM
Staging Lane

I'm running my stock tank/ lines in my GTO, but looked at replacing it with a fuel cell....your pump and fuel level sender are in the tank of course, but the fuel line and emissions lines just hook to nipples welded into the tank, so as long as you can get a standard two or 3 nipples on the different tank you should be good, then run fuel level sender of choice and external fuel pump.

Stock sender is 40ohms full- 250 ohms empty.

If you want pics of anything or have any questions just let me know, this weekend i plan on welding a cage frame in to hold my stock tank behind my tube chassis in my 04 goat, and have the stock tank laying in the garage out of Its plastic case
Do all years of the GTO have all the emissions stuff outside of the tank?

Quick Reply: (EVAP) Evaporative Emission Control System