Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

New to me GTO. (04')(6spd)(pics)

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2012, 11:37 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to me GTO. (04')(6spd)(pics)

Didnt take long to figure out that i really wanted this car. Only a week ago i realized that i was getting super bored of driving my Silverado. Really wanted an LS motor with the T-56 and did not want an F-body. My budget allowed for the 2004 goats. Searched and found some in my area. Most were not stock and looked molested.
This one has 100k miles but is bone stock all the way to the AC Delco battery.
Traded the Silverado for it. Chevy had 100k miles on it as well and was a really strong/clean truck, just absolutely no fun to drive.

GTO

Red interior.

(yes the T in GTO is missing, will be getting SAP grilles eventually)
(the wheels came in an untasteful chrome finish, not too bothered by it..yet)

My brothers old 2005 LS2 which made 420 rwhp. He now drives an LS6 CTS-V which makes 365ish rwhp.

Initial inspection:
-Someone decided that this GTO would be better off with 500 Treadwear tires. They are brand new but man are they noisy and dont belong on a RWD sports car.
-Suspension will need some freshening up.
-Clutch and brake fluid need changing ASAP.
-Tint on windows is crap and will be taken off and redone.
-Passenger side headliner is sagging a bit (not too concerned).
-Needs a pro detail.

Other than that, everything feels and looks great for 100k miles. This is most powerful and fastest car i have had, even bone stock.

Near future mods:
-160 degree thermostat
-headers, catless, x-pipe, havent decided on what mufflers (either bullets or spintech)
-tune (Quality Motorsports)
-SAP grille reps
-HIDs

Future mods:
-Cam

Thoughts?
Old 12-11-2012, 11:52 PM
TECH Addict

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

Nice project!! Youll have way more fun than with your truck!! Nittos 555 are nice street tire FYI.

Try the Ranger methot for clutch fluid flush.
Old 12-12-2012, 06:28 PM
Teching In

You and I seem to be heading in similar directions. I bought my 06 in August and I wanted either Impulse Blue with black interior or PBM with red.
Bought a Diablosport tuner after a month and just put on some SAP grilles 2 days ago.
Lots of suspension upgrades coming soon.
What tires are on there?
Old 12-12-2012, 07:46 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why do you say it needs new clutch/brake fluid? Is it because the hydraulic fluid appears to be dirty? If so, good luck keeping it clean. It's probably good practice to do the preventative maintenance since you bought the car with 100k+ on it from somebody that you don't know with unknown maintenance habits. Anyways...clutch dust in these t56's finds its way past the slave seal thus working it's way into your hydraulic fluid. You can flush it out and replace it with new fluid, but it won't stay clear more than a month if you DD the car.

Originally Posted by Land Ark
You and I seem to be heading in similar directions. I bought my 06 in August and I wanted either Impulse Blue with black interior or PBM with red.
Bought a Diablosport tuner after a month and just put on some SAP grilles 2 days ago.
What tires are on there?
Lol DiabloSport.
Old 12-13-2012, 12:08 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Johnnystock
Nice project!! Youll have way more fun than with your truck!! Nittos 555 are nice street tire FYI.

Try the Ranger methot for clutch fluid flush.
thanks. My buddy has a 01 SS and he has the 555s. Solid tire, comparable to the Hankook V12's which are super cheap and popular.

Originally Posted by Land Ark
What tires are on there?
At first i did not want another black car. My VW was black magic pearl and was a PITA to keep clean. Showed rock chips bad.
Is the Diablosport tuner a handheld self tuner??
heard they can do more damage than good. i dunno though. either way my gto is getting a solid dyno tune from a reputable shop here in town.
The tires are Nitto Motivo's. Treadwear 500 lololololol. oh well, they are brand new so im not complaining.

Originally Posted by thehazz12
Why do you say it needs new clutch/brake fluid? Is it because the hydraulic fluid appears to be dirty? If so, good luck keeping it clean. It's probably good practice to do the preventative maintenance since you bought the car with 100k+ on it from somebody that you don't know with unknown maintenance habits. Anyways...clutch dust in these t56's finds its way past the slave seal thus working it's way into your hydraulic fluid. You can flush it out and replace it with new fluid, but it won't stay clear more than a month if you DD the car.

Lol DiabloSport.
you guessed correctly. i looked at the fluid and it was dark/dirty looking. Figured it might need a flush. glad to know that its normal. thankyou.
Old 12-14-2012, 07:07 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TXTruckbrah
you guessed correctly. i looked at the fluid and it was dark/dirty looking. Figured it might need a flush. glad to know that its normal. thankyou.
Not a problem. Glad to help. But like I said, doing a quick flush of the hydraulic fluid wouldn't be a bad thing since you're at that 100k mile mark. That's up to you.
Old 12-20-2012, 10:57 AM
Staging Lane

Nice! I luv my 04 great power all the way around luv every minute im driving it! The torque and power r great!
Old 12-20-2012, 12:16 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by TXTruckbrah
At first i did not want another black car. My VW was black magic pearl and was a PITA to keep clean. Showed rock chips bad.
Is the Diablosport tuner a handheld self tuner??
heard they can do more damage than good. i dunno though. either way my gto is getting a solid dyno tune from a reputable shop here in town.
The tires are Nitto Motivo's. Treadwear 500 lololololol. oh well, they are brand new so im not complaining.
My 06 had full exhaust ,a filter , and a diablo tune and it ended up making 365 wheel . After changing a few settings on the 93 tune while on a dyno, I end up making 375 wheel . A couple months later I had a custom tune done and i ended up making the same power on the same dyno. So personally if you can get a good deal on one i would get one, if you plan to be a bolt on car for awhile . If you planned on getting a cam , nitrous or FI ..... don't waste your money on one.
Old 12-21-2012, 01:44 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 99twinturbofirebird
My 06 had full exhaust ,a filter , and a diablo tune and it ended up making 365 wheel . After changing a few settings on the 93 tune while on a dyno, I end up making 375 wheel . A couple months later I had a custom tune done and i ended up making the same power on the same dyno. So personally if you can get a good deal on one i would get one, if you plan to be a bolt on car for awhile . If you planned on getting a cam , nitrous or FI ..... don't waste your money on one.
Yea my brother had the diablo tune on his 05 and made decent power.

I just went and got a tune at Quality Motorsports here in Lewisville, TX. I made 315/336. the highest numbers i saw were 319/338 (probably a bit too much fuel).

Overall i am pretty happy with the numbers for being bone stock at 103k miles.
Old 12-26-2012, 04:32 AM
Staging Lane

Beautiful car mate!
Old 12-26-2012, 06:18 AM
Teching In

Very nice!

Quick Reply: New to me GTO. (04')(6spd)(pics)