Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

Time to get Some LT's

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2013, 09:51 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Time to get Some LT's

Ok I am getting rid of my shorties, and looking at buying some LT's in a couple weeks. Now I see JBA also makes LT's with coatings, but should I spend more and get a set of Kooks? I am going to be re-tuning the car as well after this install. Remind you I have magnaflow catback with race mufflers, will run catless mids, intake, torquer v2 112 lsa, and 100 shot wet shot. What would you guys get?? I don't know if I wanna blow all my check on Kooks or not, might use extra money from jba's to get a couple of other small mods.
Old 02-12-2013, 10:09 AM
Staging Lane

Thumbs up LT's

You will hear people say get pacesetters coated you will hear people say get top dollar headers. In the end it boils down to what you are looking for and your budget. I personally have SLP's I got for 300 bucks with cats I wish I had stepped kooks headers but that is my preference and would suit my needs. Quality varies in some companies fitment varies in most. I would got ARH or kooks that is just my two cents, it will be money well spent either way.
Old 02-12-2013, 10:22 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by AmishAssassin
You will hear people say get pacesetters coated you will hear people say get top dollar headers. In the end it boils down to what you are looking for and your budget. I personally have SLP's I got for 300 bucks with cats I wish I had stepped kooks headers but that is my preference and would suit my needs. Quality varies in some companies fitment varies in most. I would got ARH or kooks that is just my two cents, it will be money well spent either way.
Ya, ha I have seen countless back and fourths. I really like the Kooks, it's just hard to justify spending 1300 on headers. I would like to have the headers fit well though. So maybe Kooks then. I have looked for a set of used ones. I did find coated brand new set on one of the forum for 875 shipped, which would be 1000 after I got mid pipes. Can't find any used, they are all gone so far that I've seen.
Old 02-12-2013, 04:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

if i was going to get LTs for my GTO id go with ARH.
Old 02-13-2013, 06:39 PM
Teching In

How can you tell the difference between LT's and different headers. When I bought my car it came with 1 7/8 kooks. The person I bought it from was not sure if there were Lt's or not.
Old 02-13-2013, 07:19 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's all a matter of choice, but if you live near the coast or somewhere where it snows a lot I'd go with something that's stainless steel.

Originally Posted by Mike08ss/tc
How can you tell the difference between LT's and different headers. When I bought my car it came with 1 7/8 kooks. The person I bought it from was not sure if there were Lt's or not.
Shorties are pretty much stock replacements. They are roughly the same size as the exhaust manifold. If you have Kooks 1 7/8's, you have longtubes.

Here is a picture comparing the two:

*not GTO headers but works for the comparison*
Old 02-15-2013, 03:11 PM
On The Tree

Coated Kooks stepped LTs. Not cheap but worth the money in terms of fit, no leaks, quality of build and power under the curve with the stepped design. If you are gong to spend the money, spend a bit more and get the biggest bang for your buck.
Old 02-15-2013, 07:07 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's crazy how often this subject is covered.

There is a point where one header is better than another, but that point is pretty high up in the power game.
A buddy out east ran some coated Pacesetters on his until they started swelling. That was around 760whp with an F1A.
Another buddy in Vegas ran the same headers on his TVS1900 powered '05 all the way up to 800-ish whp. He had zero issues with the headers. He has since decided to part with the performance goodies and currently has the car up for sale.
Point being: If you don't have the coin for the expensive stuff, the cheaper stuff will work just as well. However, I can't really say the same about JBA because I have zero experience with them.
I'm about to coat a set of Pacesetters for the GF's GTO and throw them on hopefully in the next month or so. I have Stainless Works 1.75" on mine.

I've helped install headers a number of times now. I've helped install both Kook's 1.75" headers and Pacesetter 1.75" headers and had no issues with either. However, with the larger Kooks headers we did run into an issue with it rubbing on a bolt on the steering rack. We've got the rack moved over as far as we can at the moment and the rubbing still exists. The problem only exists during cold starts when the motor mounts are quite pumped up yet. We're gonna try out some aftermarket mounts and see if that solves the issue. If not, they'll be removed for some slight "massaging".
The dude on the east coast I previously talked about had the same issue. He had to take them off, heat them up, and beat on his freshly coated headers to make them fit.

So now you know some of the issues. Unless you're planning on making HUGE power and unless your pocket book can survive the $1,000-ish loss, stick with a cheaper, coated header. It will be just fine.
Old 02-16-2013, 12:23 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I recently helped one of my GTO buds install the JBA long tube headers (newer version, don't get the first version). They seem to work fine for the price. I personally love my Kooks, but they are very expensive.
Old 02-17-2013, 10:23 AM
On The Tree

Thank you all for your input I really appreciate it!
Old 02-17-2013, 10:26 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by thehazz12
It's crazy how often this subject is covered.

There is a point where one header is better than another, but that point is pretty high up in the power game.
A buddy out east ran some coated Pacesetters on his until they started swelling. That was around 760whp with an F1A.
Another buddy in Vegas ran the same headers on his TVS1900 powered '05 all the way up to 800-ish whp. He had zero issues with the headers. He has since decided to part with the performance goodies and currently has the car up for sale.
Point being: If you don't have the coin for the expensive stuff, the cheaper stuff will work just as well. However, I can't really say the same about JBA because I have zero experience with them.
I'm about to coat a set of Pacesetters for the GF's GTO and throw them on hopefully in the next month or so. I have Stainless Works 1.75" on mine.

I've helped install headers a number of times now. I've helped install both Kook's 1.75" headers and Pacesetter 1.75" headers and had no issues with either. However, with the larger Kooks headers we did run into an issue with it rubbing on a bolt on the steering rack. We've got the rack moved over as far as we can at the moment and the rubbing still exists. The problem only exists during cold starts when the motor mounts are quite pumped up yet. We're gonna try out some aftermarket mounts and see if that solves the issue. If not, they'll be removed for some slight "massaging".
The dude on the east coast I previously talked about had the same issue. He had to take them off, heat them up, and beat on his freshly coated headers to make them fit.

So now you know some of the issues. Unless you're planning on making HUGE power and unless your pocket book can survive the $1,000-ish loss, stick with a cheaper, coated header. It will be just fine.

That was a lot of good info. Ya right now I can't buy a set of Kook's even tho I would love to, but I saw the jba longtubes, which are a bit more affordable for me, and they are descent quality, because i have the shorties, just really would like a pair of longtubes to complete my exhaust set up.
Old 02-17-2013, 10:27 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by batboy
I recently helped one of my GTO buds install the JBA long tube headers (newer version, don't get the first version). They seem to work fine for the price. I personally love my Kooks, but they are very expensive.
What do you mean first version? I was looking at getting them through Marylandspeed if i go with JBA. Are the first, or second version. Plus they will be getting coated.
Old 02-17-2013, 01:47 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The first JBA long tubes had some minor fitment issues which was corrected with the new version. I'm sure Maryland Speed has nothing but the new ones since they are a high volume vendor. You could call Brandon directly to make sure. Sometimes he'll knock a little off the price if you ask nicely. He gave me a sweet deal on my Kooks. One spark plug on the passenger side is sort of close to a tube, just use MSD wires which have bendable boots and you'll be fine.
Old 02-18-2013, 12:48 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by batboy
The first JBA long tubes had some minor fitment issues which was corrected with the new version. I'm sure Maryland Speed has nothing but the new ones since they are a high volume vendor. You could call Brandon directly to make sure. Sometimes he'll knock a little off the price if you ask nicely. He gave me a sweet deal on my Kooks. One spark plug on the passenger side is sort of close to a tube, just use MSD wires which have bendable boots and you'll be fine.
Ah gotcha, ya those don't seem like a bad buy, and I have MSD wire atm, so that would work perfectly I'm assuming. Well if I do go JBA I think I am looking at silver coating but I am guessing titanium might be a better choice.
Old 02-18-2013, 09:55 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

you may look into OBX also. I have Kooks 1-7/8 but if i were building another car (V1) id probably go with those. stainless steel too for 550-600

Quick Reply: Time to get Some LT's