Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

so i need help, time is of the essence?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2013, 09:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default so i need help, time is of the essence?

soo heres the story. Never thought id be considering a modded car- but the price was bangin and i just- considered it. and ive been reading and reading, educating. but i need to ask some straightforward questions about this set up. the guy definitely knows what he is doing. heres what i need to know, primarily

1. wht kind of gas mileage should i expect, assuming moderate driving (city/highway)?
2. is this a practical winter car, in PA. mild winters for the lst 3 years?
**hows the cam in the cold, i know it needs to warm up
3. is this setup a practical DD?
4. since im assuming this to be my DD, what kind of maintenance costs should i expect (re-occuring and other highly plausible fixes known for this setup)?
5. finally, how experienced should i be with NA cars, to this caliber, in order to drive this correctly and successfully.
**note, i know a good deal abnout cars. but ive neevr considered mods like this because its simply too costly.

tysm, mods are listed below.

im not trying to have this car buy me, i want to buy it. so if the price i right but the cars maintenance, gas, etc is too high im going to nex it.

**MODS**

-Vehicle only has 41,000 miles and is in excellent condition. All engine work performed at 33k miles.
- Vehicle has a forged LS2 with Mahle pistons, ARP hardware throughout, Chevrolet performance main bearings, Patriot stage 3 LS6 heads, Texas Speed MS4 cam, Fast 92 intake manifold, ported tb, Stainless works longtubes, magnaflow exhaust
-Ram 9.5 twin disk clutch, lightweight flywheel, 3,91 gears, Harrop rear diff cover, short throw shifter, autometer oil pressure gauge
-king 0 drop rear springs with tokico adjustable shocks, drilled and slotted rotors, stainless steel brake lines, kenne bell bap, fast 46lb injectors, upgraded axles
-6000k hid headlights, 2006 tail lights, stainless bumper inserts
Old 04-04-2013, 09:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

if your worried about gas mileage and being able to maintain it then skip it
Old 04-04-2013, 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by outkast6991
if your worried about gas mileage and being able to maintain it then skip it

im not so much "worried" about it, im just asking for figures.

gas, i guess, really isnt a problem. As it WILL be equivalent to my last vehicle.

again, im asking for figures (ballpark). analysis will be done on my end, as i know my budget
Old 04-04-2013, 09:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

well i'd bet it in the low teens for mpg city driving. with any big cam you should be checking valve springs every 10,000 miles. modded cars aren't ideal daily drivers just due to the fact that you lose some reliability. modded cars can and do break. drivability is another issue. any cam that size will have some compromise is drivability. my cam is close in size and while i think it drives beautifully you would probably buck and stall the car 10 times before you made it out of my driveway. it's all what your used to
Old 04-04-2013, 10:04 AM

well i'd bet it in the low teens for mpg city driving. with any big cam you should be checking valve springs every 10,000 miles. modded cars aren't ideal daily drivers just due to the fact that you lose some reliability. modded cars can and do break. drivability is another issue. any cam that size will have some compromise is drivability. my cam is close in size and while i think it drives beautifully you would probably buck and stall the car 10 times before you made it out of my driveway. it's all what your used to
right, and im fairly adaptable. ive driven many different cars. im not overly worried if, when i get used to my car, it should be fine. i already know the valve springs will be routine, which im fine with. but im gathering that you do not drive your cammed daily? hmm. the price is so nice- not sure what to do
Old 04-04-2013, 10:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

I drive mine when I want to. I may drive it everyday for a month then not touch it for 2 weeks. If I've learned one thing over the years with modded cars its never count on one as a dd
Old 04-04-2013, 10:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

How nice is the price?
Old 04-04-2013, 10:23 AM

How nice is the price?
16 and its so mint, he has another car thats worked more with a sc and desnt want both i suppose. all the work has only 8k on it, and its got a tune by speed inc :O
Old 04-04-2013, 10:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

Sounds like a good deal
Old 04-04-2013, 11:02 AM

Sounds like a good deal
right? im going for it
Old 04-04-2013, 02:57 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yeah id be all over that
Old 04-05-2013, 07:26 AM
On The Tree

I would not buy a heavily modded car for a DD which would include cold weather and snow, especially if gas mileage and costs to maintain are going to be an issue. I'd take a deep breath and pass on this GTO.
Old 04-05-2013, 09:03 AM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Any car can be driven in winter. I wouldn't drive this one mainly because due to it's rarity it is expensive (almost everything is "totaled") if it has a fender bender and with it's RWD and ground clearance it doesn't lend itself to DD. Also because of it's rarity if it breaks it is expensive to repair. People that are DIYers have the benefit of cheaper repair and also can educate themselves on the car much better than even a dealer. It's a lot easier and almost as cheap to get a beater for winter. Insurance is cheaper and the goat sleeps with just storage ins. on her.

Quick Reply: so i need help, time is of the essence?