Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

LT's or Ported Intake/TB???

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2013, 10:01 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default LT's or Ported Intake/TB???

So I have some extra cash and want to squeeze a few more ponies out of my goat. I can't decide whether I should upgrade to longtubes or get a ported intake/TB.

The car has JBA shorties/catted mid-pipe right now, so I'm not sure how much I'd gain by getting Longtubes, but I could always sell the shorties/midpipe and recoup some of my cash. I can't afford Kooks or ARH, so I'd probably just get coated pacesetters and a catless midpipe.

Or, I could port the intake/tb and do the longtubes later on down the road.

What do you guys think would be the best bang for my buck?

Coated Pacesetters + Mid-Pipes + o2 Extensions = $551.90

"Radical" Ported Intake + TB = $445 from Peak Speed Shop

Can anyone recommend any other companies that do porting?

Thanks,
Tim
Old 04-04-2013, 10:13 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i would say go with the long tubes you will pick up more power then the ported intake
Old 04-04-2013, 10:24 AM
11 Second Club

Even though I already have shorties? I didn't think there was still that much left on the table.

I was leaning towards the LT's because I can sell the shorties/mid-pipes and almost break even. Then I could do the intake/TB and have it re-tuned.
Old 04-04-2013, 02:26 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I would get a set of used stainless headers or a new set of JBA LTs and just about break even with the selling of the shorties.

I got some used coated kooks with cats for $700...no way I would pay $560 for catless Pacesetters on New England roads.
Old 04-04-2013, 02:58 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

what about OBX?
Old 04-04-2013, 03:01 PM
TECH Resident

i had OBX stainless longtubes on my 6.0 swapped silverado. Great quality, no coating to burn off and rust later, looked great, fit awesome. sounded sick. ohh and only $355 shipped to my door.

Id check into a set for the GTO. Thats the route ima go when i start modding.
Old 04-04-2013, 03:32 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by baSICK5.0
i had OBX stainless longtubes on my 6.0 swapped silverado. Great quality, no coating to burn off and rust later, looked great, fit awesome. sounded sick. ohh and only $355 shipped to my door.

Id check into a set for the GTO. Thats the route ima go when i start modding.
I have OBX LT with catless mids and IIRC they were 530 to my door.
Old 04-04-2013, 04:39 PM
11 Second Club

I'll look into the obx..

Originally Posted by redtan
I would get a set of used stainless headers or a new set of JBA LTs and just about break even with the selling of the shorties.

I got some used coated kooks with cats for $700...no way I would pay $560 for catless Pacesetters on New England roads.
I only drive the car 4-5K miles a year and never during the winter. If I get 4-5 years out of them, I'd be happy.

On a side note, you still interested in that hood liner?
Old 04-04-2013, 04:57 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by NW05gtoWA
I have OBX LT with catless mids and IIRC they were 530 to my door.
i saw they were higher but for stainless I think the price is awesome. I coudlnt of been more happy with the set on my silverado.
Old 04-04-2013, 05:57 PM
Teching In

yea you will pick up more high end power over the shorites. and make more power and Lts flow better
Old 04-04-2013, 06:19 PM
TECH Regular

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Spend 300$ more and get a FAST 102. I did the FAST before headers and there was a large difference over the stock manifold, particularly in the lower RPM range. Here's the reasoning behind my choice.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...longtubes.html

When I went back and did headers (headers dyno proven to make the most power too http://www.ls1gto.com/forums/showthread.php?t=196642 ) I was actually disappointed that it wasn't as large a gain as the FAST 102. Of course, the real test would be to dyno the car with just the headers and again just the FAST on the same day and temperature and compare the gains.

Last edited by 409CISecondGen; 04-04-2013 at 06:31 PM.
Old 04-04-2013, 06:24 PM
11 Second Club

I'm probably going to order some longtubes tomorrow morning. Hopefully I can sell the shorties/mid-pipe quick and do the intake/tb within a few weeks.
Old 04-05-2013, 07:23 AM
On The Tree

LTs first!!! Find a used FAST 90/92 to port after that. Polishing your TB is cheap and you can do that any time. It adds almost no HP per se, but it does sharpen seat of your pants throttle response.
Old 04-05-2013, 09:09 AM
12 Second Club

LT's all the way. A couple of misconceptions tho. Coating does not "burn off" and it is a performance mod not an appearance one. It keeps exhaust gas temps up maintaining velocity and keeping engine bay temps down. IMHO coating is a must-have. Also LTs move the power band down lower not higher and also make that improvement over a much wider band. It's just like a pipe organ. Short pipes are for high notes and long pipes are for low notes.

Porting the intake is worth about half as much power and porting the TB is next to nothing especially on a low modded car
Old 04-05-2013, 10:00 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by svede1212

Porting the intake is worth about half as much power and porting the TB is next to nothing especially on a low modded car
I think I'm leaning towards a FAST now, as I'll probably need one eventually. I'm just trying to get the smaller supporting mods out of the way now so I can do Heads/Cam sometime over the summer.

I'm ordering some Pacesetters at lunchtime, once I sell the JBA's I'll start thinking about getting a FAST.

How does the FAST 102 work w/ the Stock TB? I'm on somewhat of a budget and wont be able to spend the cash on a NW 102 TB for a little while.

Or should I just go with a FAST 92?
Old 04-05-2013, 01:31 PM
12 Second Club

Either manifold will be an improvement and you can still use your stock TB with either. You need a tune after the FAST tho or at least I'd get one as it flow a lot more air at WOT and your fueling could be off.

I'd at the least get the PS LTs coated. They may last a little longer and for sure improve performance. If you don't have to have them today prowl the for sale section her and on LS1GTO as well as eBay for better SS used LTs and get those coated if they already aren't
Old 04-05-2013, 01:34 PM
11 Second Club

Either manifold will be an improvement and you can still use your stock TB with either. You need a tune after the FAST tho or at least I'd get one as it flow a lot more air at WOT and your fueling could be off.

I'd at the least get the PS LTs coated. They may last a little longer and for sure improve performance. If you don't have to have them today prowl the for sale section her and on LS1GTO as well as eBay for better SS used LTs and get those coated if they already aren't
Yeah, I have no patience. I ended up ordering the LT's and a FAST 102 a few minutes ago. I'll definitely get it re-tuned once I install them.
Old 04-05-2013, 02:20 PM
TECH Resident

LT's all the way. A couple of misconceptions tho. Coating does not "burn off" and it is a performance mod not an appearance one. It keeps exhaust gas temps up maintaining velocity and keeping engine bay temps down. IMHO coating is a must-have. Also LTs move the power band down lower not higher and also make that improvement over a much wider band. It's just like a pipe organ. Short pipes are for high notes and long pipes are for low notes.

Dont wanna jack the thread but I have seen Ceramic coated headers with very small rust sports where the coating didnt take or something. I totally understand the temp reasoning and how it works But hell you want it to look good too. Its DUAL functional per-se. I loved my stainless ones and it saved me a F-ton of dough over a ceramic coated set. But I wasnt chasing a few hp. IMO there are two options. Ceramic or stainless PERIOD! Friend of mine has Pacesetters on his 6.2 swapped z71, cammed, built RPM trans, etc etc. FAST truck...bad *** ride but those headers just kill it for me. Look like crap.

Anyhow, OP...awesome!!!! keep us updated
Old 04-05-2013, 03:15 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by baSICK5.0
Dont wanna jack the thread but I have seen Ceramic coated headers with very small rust sports where the coating didnt take or something. I totally understand the temp reasoning and how it works But hell you want it to look good too. Its DUAL functional per-se. I loved my stainless ones and it saved me a F-ton of dough over a ceramic coated set. But I wasnt chasing a few hp. IMO there are two options. Ceramic or stainless PERIOD! Friend of mine has Pacesetters on his 6.2 swapped z71, cammed, built RPM trans, etc etc. FAST truck...bad *** ride but those headers just kill it for me. Look like crap.

Anyhow, OP...awesome!!!! keep us updated
I did order ceramic coated pacesetters. I'd prefer stainless but not for the cash they're charging for them. If they look like **** in a few years, I'll spring for some Kooks. I don't drive in the rain or snow, so I'm not too worries about it though.

Hoping to get them installed next weekend, then schedule a re-tune.
Old 04-06-2013, 11:36 PM
TECH Regular

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

My car was run with a FAST 102 on the original HPtuners tune made with the OEM LS2 intake. I waited to retune until I did my headers and was told I'd be fine by my shop.

Quick Reply: LT's or Ported Intake/TB???