Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

New to me GTO.. Bushings in order?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2015, 01:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to me GTO.. Bushings in order?

I just picked up a 04 A4 with 67k miles for 11,500. After having it for a few days I decided to push it on a off ramp a bit to see how it handles, but the steering was very vague. Little feedback through the wheels, and the front end seems to track left and right slightly with a constant steering input. Very uninspiring confidence wise. What should be the first things to check and how should I go about checking them? I have no experience suspension wise so I don't know what I'm doing.
Old 05-18-2015, 03:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Besides checking the complete car for wear, new radius rod bushings will help transform the car. There are several available, the k-mac built type are the best for that application. They are hard to find, I usually carry them. Some of the other bushings may be better left to several manufactures, rather than one.
Old 05-18-2015, 10:42 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You need at the least front radius rod and strut tower bushings/bearings with bump stops. Also check your ball joints. In the rear inner and outer control arm bushings and rear subframe bushings (Energy red are cheap and good). If you have the coin springs and dampers all the way around.
Old 05-19-2015, 02:00 AM
TECH Enthusiast

LS1Tech 10 Year

Energy are cheap but not much has gone into design. Whiteline have a smaller sleeve and will allow cradle to center nearly perfect without a tool. Super pro and kmac also have added design features making them more appealing than Energy imo.

As I said before, different companies offer advantages on certain applications. I would look to kmac, super pro and whiteline to outfit my car today.
Old 05-19-2015, 07:32 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 2QWK4RU 06 GOAT
Energy are cheap but not much has gone into design. Whiteline have a smaller sleeve and will allow cradle to center nearly perfect without a tool. Super pro and kmac also have added design features making them more appealing than Energy imo. As I said before, different companies offer advantages on certain applications. I would look to kmac, super pro and whiteline to outfit my car today.
How would you rate those 3 brands against the old Pedders product?
Old 05-19-2015, 07:34 AM
Staging Lane

I'm trying to get to zero chamber on my GTO-Slow!
Old 05-19-2015, 08:51 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

If you decide on picking up some SuperPro bushings let us know, we are the main distributor for them in the domestic markets here in the US. I have pretty much all of their 04-06 GTO bushings on the shelf right now and ready to ship. If there is anything we can do for you or if you have any question just let me know.

Find a Quality alignment shop near you!
Old 05-20-2015, 11:10 PM
On The Tree

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Energy are cheap but not much has gone into design. Whiteline have a smaller sleeve and will allow cradle to center nearly perfect without a tool.

As I said before, different companies offer advantages on certain applications. I would look to kmac, super pro and whiteline to outfit my car today.
I did not know this! Makes so much sense. My cradle alignment was way off for a while until I rented the tool.

For the OP: I have the Energy Suspension bushings on mine, rear diff insert from Pedders (now extinct, just like our Goats), and front radius rod bushings from Lovell's (couldn't justify the Pedders price rape). I have been very impressed with how well my car rides and behaves with these bushings. I was very thorough during the installs and greased everything surface of the bushings.

You would do well to find you a qualified suspension technician to look the car over before you start ordering parts. The stock Holden parts are VERY weak and prone to fail (wear excessively) inside the first 40-50k miles. Have the car put on an alignment rack and see where everything is. Our cars have issues in the suspension dept even when stock:

Stock springs sag and fail to hold their rate; strut mounts collapse; front radius rod bushings behave like mashed potatoes and produce poor steering and braking manners; cradles can be out of alignment; strut rub...list goes on. Remember the GTO's suspension was designed in 1997, and based heavily on the Cadillac Catera. #dated

I tell anyone considering purchasing a GTO to budget a good $800-1500 to cover parts and/or labor for suspension. This is both a safety area and a performance area.

Hope this helps!

-S2G
Old 05-21-2015, 01:25 AM
TECH Enthusiast

LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by angelo1000r
How would you rate those 3 brands against the old Pedders product?
Some were fine, others were less than desirable. For example, early x-member bushes had a gap between the cradle and body and would contribute to wheel hop. If we look at their front control arm bush, it was not sleeved like the other better versions. The good ones don't have a gap in the rear and are sleeved and much more stout for the front control arm. Their radius rod bush is one of the better applications they offer. They now offer a supplemental bush to sandwich the cradle to the body, eliminating any room for movement.

Originally Posted by BMR Sales2
If you decide on picking up some SuperPro bushings let us know, we are the main distributor for them in the domestic markets here in the US. I have pretty much all of their 04-06 GTO bushings on the shelf right now and ready to ship. If there is anything we can do for you or if you have any question just let me know.
I may want a set. I have your subframe connectors and the plate that sandwiches to the x-member bush is different than oem. It makes for a hell of a tight fit on my noltec units. I may pick up the street set you offer and see how the ride is. On stock cars with oem mounting the super pro street bushes are nicer riding than what i have now, I'd like to duplicate that.

Originally Posted by Stang2Goat
I did not know this! Makes so much sense. My cradle alignment was way off for a while until I rented the tool.

For the OP: I have the Energy Suspension bushings on mine, rear diff insert from Pedders (now extinct, just like our Goats), and front radius rod bushings from Lovell's (couldn't justify the Pedders price rape). I have been very impressed with how well my car rides and behaves with these bushings. I was very thorough during the installs and greased everything surface of the bushings.

You would do well to find you a qualified suspension technician to look the car over before you start ordering parts. The stock Holden parts are VERY weak and prone to fail (wear excessively) inside the first 40-50k miles. Have the car put on an alignment rack and see where everything is. Our cars have issues in the suspension dept even when stock:

Stock springs sag and fail to hold their rate; strut mounts collapse; front radius rod bushings behave like mashed potatoes and produce poor steering and braking manners; cradles can be out of alignment; strut rub...list goes on. Remember the GTO's suspension was designed in 1997, and based heavily on the Cadillac Catera. #dated

I tell anyone considering purchasing a GTO to budget a good $800-1500 to cover parts and/or labor for suspension. This is both a safety area and a performance area.

Hope this helps!

-S2G
Glad your cradle is in place now. I mentioned this a few times on ls1, but many of my posts we're deleted and I was banned much of the time, thus... making it harder for me to get info out
Old 05-21-2015, 09:05 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I may want a set. I have your subframe connectors and the plate that sandwiches to the x-member bush is different than oem. It makes for a hell of a tight fit on my noltec units. I may pick up the street set you offer and see how the ride is. On stock cars with oem mounting the super pro street bushes are nicer riding than what i have now, I'd like to duplicate that.
No problem, if there is anything we can help you out with just let me know. We have a bunch of the SuperPro street rear cradle/crossmember bushings in stock ready to ship so getting them to you in a timely manner wouldn't be an issue at all.

Find a Quality alignment shop near you!

Quick Reply: New to me GTO.. Bushings in order?