Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

Doing research

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2015, 01:32 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Doing research

Looking at picking up a 2006 gto 6.0 this coming weekend, wondering about any gripes or issues or complaints ahead of time. Love the car, know people who have them and want my own! thanks

2006 gto 6.0, manual, 45k miles, bone stock, black
Old 07-01-2015, 04:10 PM
TECH Resident

Search my friend...

Read this: https://ls1tech.com/forums/pontiac-g...e-insight.html

And look for many other threads on the internet with the answers you seek...
Old 07-01-2015, 04:21 PM
Teching In

You'll need to check the suspension thoroughly - these cars do well to have bushings replaced. It's an older car that had a small three year window of production by a company that no longer exists - parts are becoming increasingly rare and are relatively expensive, especially if they are stock. Some stock parts aren't even available anymore IIRC. GTO-specific performance aftermarket is static to shrinking IMO. Check the leather stitching on the interior which has a tendency to become loosened, particularly if the car is a DD that sits outside frequently. Stock cars had a tendency for the door handle paint to flake, so look for that, too. There is a well-known common BCM wiring issue with the harness rubbing on a metal edge behind the glovebox that can cause electrical gremlins. I'm sure there's more that I can't specifically recall off the top of my head right now.

That said, I bought mine used, nearly new in 2007, have built it up, and still am in love with the car. It's been a very easy platform to learn from and work on, relatively speaking. If you have any specific questions, fire away.
Old 07-01-2015, 08:46 PM
Teching In

Default thanks

Thank you for the post link and the advice. I have noticed the biggest issue i have commonly seen is the suspension, to replace the bushing and the rear springs.
Old 07-10-2015, 08:32 PM

As stated already check stitching on seats, specifically near the rear deck. Rear suspension sag as well. Besides that check for all normal car things like rust, oil, tires, brakes, etc.
Old 07-10-2015, 11:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

Radius rod bushings and springs/suspension should be one of the first on upgrade list..IMO
Old 07-11-2015, 03:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Smile

ask for service records to verify this car has been well maintained.

Quick Reply: Doing research