Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

dad says GTO can go 188-200 mph, help me convince him otherwise

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2004, 02:47 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Lswonder
i think if u get cought going over 100 u go to jail. and i have heard its attemted manslauter
THATS HARD CORE!
Old 01-16-2020, 10:13 PM
Teching In

Ive done 164 in a fullbolt on cam ls1 gto no governor 6spd. Had a little gear left but my car started to bounce and i didnt want to lose it so i eased out of the run. I also have 3.73 which helped get there quicker.
Old 01-16-2020, 10:58 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 475 Likes on 354 Posts

How are you new guys pulling up these old posts?
Old 01-17-2020, 06:52 AM
On The Tree

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Gtopowerls1
Ive done 164 in a fullbolt on cam ls1 gto no governor 6spd. Had a little gear left but my car started to bounce and i didnt want to lose it so i eased out of the run. I also have 3.73 which helped get there quicker.
are you serious right now?
Old 01-17-2020, 11:11 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by kurazy kracka
are you serious right now?
Do you think it's impossible?
Old 01-17-2020, 02:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 154 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by LLLosingit
Do you think it's impossible?
With 3.73 gears 160mph seems highly unlikely. Now, if the speedo wasn't recalibrated for the gears, what the speedo was saying isn't what the car was doing.
Old 01-17-2020, 02:29 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by camaro99z
"removed the governor, and uses the fuel that he puts in his airplanes"

Can you even put fuel for airplanes in a car? Seems like that would turn out bad.
No it wouldnt run if its jet fuel, however it will work in diesel powerd vehicles. The lubracating properties will damage the engine.
Old 01-17-2020, 03:44 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Rich-L79
With 3.73 gears 160mph seems highly unlikely. Now, if the speedo wasn't recalibrated for the gears, what the speedo was saying isn't what the car was doing.
Well he wouldn't be out of gear yet so it would come down to hp and coefficient drag. If he can rev 5th out to 6,000 he would be right at 170 +- and 6,500 is around 180.
I don't have the ***** to try it on the street but I bet my S10 would be a contender for that speed maybe more but I have a bit more torque and HP.
Old 01-17-2020, 03:52 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Bmoore34
No it wouldnt run if its jet fuel, however it will work in diesel powerd vehicles. The lubracating properties will damage the engine.
He said airplane not jet, People still use Avgas (Aviation Gasoline) because it's 100 octane although it won't make anymore power and there are much better options out there, If I remember correctly it's also a leaded fuel so nothing with o2 sensors or cats.
Old 01-17-2020, 04:13 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by LLLosingit
He said airplane not jet, People still use Avgas (Aviation Gasoline) because it's 100 octane although it won't make anymore power and there are much better options out there, If I remember correctly it's also a leaded fuel so nothing with o2 sensors or cats.
same same, it would damage the cars engine. It may run for a minute or two but it wouldn’t run well. Airplane fuel well any fuel has a certain flash point and turns into energy once ignited. The car is set up for common gas I assume. This means anything other than that will Flash either to soon or too late.

Now to put the plane fuel to rest, the mixture of plane fuel isn’t actually designed to be used at one atmospheric pressure. The pilot must change air fuel ratios constantly in flight to achieve the appropriate performance from the engine. thus making this fuel virtually useless on the ground due to its lower specific gravity. Same if you buy gas in Milwaukee and don’t use it until you get to Florida. It wouldn’t be useful due to this same principle.
Old 01-17-2020, 04:53 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Bmoore34
same same, it would damage the cars engine. It may run for a minute or two but it wouldn’t run well. Airplane fuel well any fuel has a certain flash point and turns into energy once ignited. The car is set up for common gas I assume. This means anything other than that will Flash either to soon or too late.

Now to put the plane fuel to rest, the mixture of plane fuel isn’t actually designed to be used at one atmospheric pressure. The pilot must change air fuel ratios constantly in flight to achieve the appropriate performance from the engine. thus making this fuel virtually useless on the ground due to its lower specific gravity. Same if you buy gas in Milwaukee and don’t use it until you get to Florida. It wouldn’t be useful due to this same principle.
LOL, It's been used for decades and still is, People still use it a regularly in small equipment because it doesn't contain ethanol and stays fresh for much longer.
So nobody can buy gas in Milwaukee and use it in Florida?.. You are kidding I hope because it you're not your on the wrong forum, You want the fantasyland forum.
Old 01-21-2020, 07:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 72 Likes on 55 Posts

I heard there was a gto in transformers.
Old 01-21-2020, 08:57 PM
Teching In

I dont know what to say i was full throttle 5th to 6th dash said 164. Can definitely say my speedometer was calibrated as well because i just got a new cam and clutch and had a base tune put in and my speed is off now because my gears arent stock. I bought the car used so i cant say for sure what gears they are i know they are shorter cause my brother has a 06 gto and his gears are wider and his cars stock except for air intake and catback. All gtos came with the same gears stock.
Old 01-21-2020, 09:00 PM
Teching In

Also govenor aside its not very hard to hit 160+ in a LS motor thats childs play. So i dont know what all the flack is for lol.
Old 01-22-2020, 01:09 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Gtopowerls1
Also govenor aside its not very hard to hit 160+ in a LS motor thats childs play. So i dont know what all the flack is for lol.
It's not childs play at all, As speed increases it takes more and more power to overcome coefficient drag. Basically the faster you go the power needed to keep increasing speed goes up at a higher rate.
For example, If it takes 200hp to push 4,000lbs to 100mph some people assume that if you double the power(400hp) you will double the speed(200mph) but that's not how it works. If it takes 200hp to go to 100mph it might take twice the power(400hp) to go 150mph and triple the power(600hp) to go 175mph.
Also at some point you have to start worrying about how the aerodynamics will effect your vehicle, You don't want to find out that at 170 mph your aero package lifts the rear wheels off the street lol
Old 01-25-2020, 02:15 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 491 Likes on 343 Posts

Originally Posted by dreadpirateroberts
I heard there was a gto in transformers.
Exactly. The GTO owners started like this, then learned, them sold their cars to this bunch of idiots. This thread that was revived from the old days proves it. Even some of the older current GTO owners sound like idiots when responding to this nonsense. Ls1tech has went downhill a bit, but the GTO forum nosedived into **** some time ago.
Old 01-25-2020, 09:12 PM
TECH Resident

Received 114 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by gametech
Exactly. The GTO owners started like this, then learned, them sold their cars to this bunch of idiots. This thread that was revived from the old days proves it. Even some of the older current GTO owners sound like idiots when responding to this nonsense. Ls1tech has went downhill a bit, but the GTO forum nosedived into **** some time ago.
I'd say LS1tech has held its own still an amazing resource for information. You want to see a **** show just look at the misinformation spread on Facebook lol
Old 01-26-2020, 12:19 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 491 Likes on 343 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris25
I'd say LS1tech has held its own still an amazing resource for information. You want to see a **** show just look at the misinformation spread on Facebook lol
Facebook is an entirely different level of hell. I refuse to participate in that blight on humanity.
Old 01-26-2020, 07:19 AM
TECH Resident

Received 114 Likes on 91 Posts

Facebook is an entirely different level of hell. I refuse to participate in that blight on humanity.
It's a sad state on Facebook GTO owners are more worried about headlights then how the actual car performs.
Old 01-26-2020, 07:58 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 154 Likes on 114 Posts

If you are referring to LS1GTO.com I'll have to disagree with you there. Participation there has dropped a lot over the years, but there are still quite a few helpful and knowledgeable GTO people there and more traffic than the GTO pages here and other places get.

The Facebook GTO stuff is hard to take. Can be occasionally helpful if you are buying and selling parts.

Quick Reply: dad says GTO can go 188-200 mph, help me convince him otherwise