Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

Removing ECU?

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2017, 03:38 AM
Launching!

Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts
Default Removing ECU?

I know this is probably one of the stupidest questions that has been asked here in a long time, if ever. But I'm certainly not a bright guy, and I don't want to break anything as a result of my stupidity. Anyway, how do you pull the ECU plugs off on a 2006 GTO ECU? I pulled the levers back, which appears to release the plugs somewhat. But they don't seem to want to come off. And I don't want to just put muscle into it and break things. So what am I missing?
Old 07-03-2017, 05:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Engine Control Module (ECM) Replacement

Engine control module (ECM) service should normally consist of either ECM replacement or electrically erasable programmable read only memory (EEPROM) programming. If the diagnostic procedures require ECM replacement, inspect the ECM first to see if the correct part is being used.

Important: In order to prevent internal ECM damage, the ignition must be OFF when you disconnect or reconnect the power to the ECM. For example, disconnect the power when you work with the following components:

• A battery cable

• The ECM pigtail

• The ECM fuse

• Jumper cables

Important: When you diagnose or replace the ECM, remove any debris from the ECM connector surfaces before servicing the ECM module connector gaskets. Ensure that the gaskets are installed correctly. The gaskets prevent contamination intrusion into the ECM.

Important:: The replacement ECM MUST be programmed.

Removal Procedure

Important: It is necessary to record the remaining engine oil life. If the replacement module is not programed with the remaining engine oil life, the engine oil life will default to 100%. If the replacement module is not programmed with the remaining engine oil life, the engine oil will need to be changed at 5000 km (3,000 mi) from the last engine oil change.

•Using a scan tool, retrieve the percentage of remaining engine oil. Record the remaining engine oil life.
•Disconnect the negative battery cable. Refer to Battery Negative Cable Disconnect/Connect Procedure in Engine Electrical.

•Remove the connector protection assurance (CPA) locks on each ECM electrical connector, then move the connector lock levers to the unlock position.
•Disconnect the ECM electrical connectors.

•Remove the two screws (1) securing the ECM to the mounting bracket
•Remove the ECM .

Installation Procedure

Notice

Do not touch the connector pins or soldered components on the circuit board in order to prevent possible electrostatic discharge (ESD) damage to the PCM.

Notice

In order to prevent internal damage to the PCM, the ignition must be OFF when disconnecting or reconnecting the PCM connector.

•Install the ECM to the mounting bracket.

Notice: Refer to Fastener Notice in Cautions and Notices.
•Install the 2 screws (1) securing the ECM to the mounting bracket

Tighten

Tighten the ECM fasteners to 1-3 N·m

•Install the ECM electrical connectors.
•Connect the negative battery cable. Refer to Battery Negative Cable Disconnect/Connect Procedure in Engine Electrical.
•If a new ECM is being installed, program the ECM. Refer to Service Programming System (SPS) in Programming and Setup.
•Whenever the ECM or the negative battery cables have been disconnected, the crankshaft variation procedure must be performed. Refer to CKP System Variation Learn Procedure .

Document ID# 1553609
2005 Pontiac GTO

Wiggle the connectors gently while pulling up on the connector. Don't touch or bend any pins... Gently.
Manual: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/bf4xvfch6...a/Uploads?dl=0
Attached Thumbnails Removing ECU?-1.gif   Removing ECU?-2.gif  

Last edited by Jontall; 07-03-2017 at 05:38 AM.
Old 07-03-2017, 05:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

There are no stupid questions Matt, just lack of experience which you will gain as you learn more and more.
Jon

Quick Reply: Removing ECU?