Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

Advice on checking out engine in a car with busted ignition

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2018, 11:09 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice on checking out engine in a car with busted ignition

Going to possibly purchase a theft recovery 04 gto, ignition is busted of course. So here is my question i know they broke the ignition but obviously they stole this car shouldnt vats have stopped the car from starting? Im just curious as i qould really like to start this car i have thought about flashing it with hp tuners and disabling vats in order to test the engine and trans in the car. Is there any other way i can get this goat to start with out spending 100$ on a flash and then possibly have it be blown up. I know this is a touchy subject i just really dont wanna blow 4k on this car to end up parting it out because motor is shot. Anyways hoping someone can shed some light on this before i dive in head first and get something thats gonna be more than i want to take.on currently.
Old 05-02-2018, 01:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

They may may have broken the ignition, but I'm sure it didn't start; it can't. You will need to replace the ignition and any other parts that were damaged, then program a new key to start it.
Old 05-03-2018, 01:29 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 533 Likes on 377 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Originally Posted by S10king91
Going to possibly purchase a theft recovery 04 gto, ignition is busted of course. So here is my question i know they broke the ignition but obviously they stole this car shouldnt vats have stopped the car from starting? Im just curious as i qould really like to start this car i have thought about flashing it with hp tuners and disabling vats in order to test the engine and trans in the car. Is there any other way i can get this goat to start with out spending 100$ on a flash and then possibly have it be blown up. I know this is a touchy subject i just really dont wanna blow 4k on this car to end up parting it out because motor is shot. Anyways hoping someone can shed some light on this before i dive in head first and get something thats gonna be more than i want to take.on currently.
If you are worried about blowing 4k on a car, don't get a GTO. All of the parts are expensive, and they have no resale value. I love mine, but I would never take a chance on a questionable one for anything other than parts. There are far too many other options.
Old 05-10-2018, 10:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 72 Likes on 55 Posts

I agree. buying a GTO now is for people who are die-hard fans and have the cash to spend.