Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

Speed Engineering Long Tube headers

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2018, 07:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Speed Engineering Long Tube headers

Hello folks. I was wondering if anyone has installed speed engineering long tube headers in their 2004 to 2006 GTO. If you have how did they perform and also, how did you connect the matching xpipe they sell for them. I really dont want to hack up the factory exhaust system. Thanks fellas.
Old 11-01-2018, 02:38 PM
TECH Resident

Received 114 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by 01WS6BLACKLS1
Hello folks. I was wondering if anyone has installed speed engineering long tube headers in their 2004 to 2006 GTO. If you have how did they perform and also, how did you connect the matching xpipe they sell for them. I really dont want to hack up the factory exhaust system. Thanks fellas.
They are actually my next purchase I've seen a couple people post on Facebook that they installed without a problem like they do for the F-body's. It looks like the Xpipe will require you to cut the factory exhaust and use a band clamp. I had them on my Formula and you cant beat them for the price and fitment.
Old 11-01-2018, 04:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

Cool. If you dont mind. I just bought my gto. Son of course it will be maybe income tax time before I purchase them. If you mind letting me know your thoughts that would be appreciated.😁
Old 11-01-2018, 04:02 PM
TECH Resident

Received 114 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by 01WS6BLACKLS1
Cool. If you dont mind. I just bought my gto. Son of course it will be maybe income tax time before I purchase them. If you mind letting me know your thoughts that would be appreciated.😁
Of course Ill post up some pics when I get them on to show the fitment.
Old 11-01-2018, 05:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

Sweet thanks.
Old 05-10-2020, 09:39 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know this is an old thread but I have Speed Engineering headers/x pipe in my 06 auto. They fit fine. You do have to cut the factory resonator off to use the x pipe. Only complaint I have is the cheap clamps they use. I replaced all the clamps with preformed clamps. I also did have an issue with the steering shaft hitting number 7 primary but that was remedied by replacing the motor mounts. Other than that they fit fine and tuck up under the car decent
Old 05-13-2020, 07:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

New to the boards, glad to see some activity in this thread - recently purchased headers for myself.
They show up tomorrow, anxious to provide feedback installing on 04 M6.
@4THGENCAMAROFAN
Replacing your motor mounts resolved the steering shaft issue because they were worn?
I have 115k miles, presumably mine are absolutely shot.

Thanks!

Old 05-13-2020, 08:53 PM
Launching!

Hey Rando. I'm sure you'll have to drop the rack which makes things a pain but from what I've seen they're not bad otherwise. I bought my car as a roller so I laid the headers in place before putting the engine in so I didn't have to drop the rack.

Yes my mounts were worn. Even if you think they look okay I would recommend doing them while you have the manifolds out to make it a little easier and prevent future issues. The mounts were left with the car and "looked" fine to me so I left them in. After getting the old ones out I took a caliper to the new ones and they were close to a 1/4" taller vs the original squished ones. Mine had 138K on them.

I replaced the factory hydraulic mounts with solid rubber mounts. Westar EM2993S off Rockauto is what I used. I didn't want to use the hydro style for them to fail and leak and I didn't want a bunch of vibration from poly mounts. With the solid rubber mounts I get a VERY slight vibration at low engine speeds leaving stop lights/signs but it's nothing to gripe about and may be partially due to the exhaust not having any cats or resonators in it.

I would recommend you get some better clamps from the get go as well as the o2 extension harnesses if you didn't already. This style here will seal much better than the clamps that come with the headers. You can get these clamps at about any semi truck repair shop-I work at an International dealer and that's where I got mine. You'll need 3 of the 3" clamps if you got the xpipe with the headers. I'm not sure what the exhaust size is on the 04's but on the 05/06 it's 2.5" after the resonator. Anyway, here's the style I'm talking about. https://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS/555/30734/10002/-1

Old 05-14-2020, 01:52 PM

Thanks!

I believe I found the correct motor mounts, presumably I can use these?
EM2993S out of stock @ Rockauto but was able to find these on Amazon.

Why in the world are are pedders so expensive? (PED-584004)
https://pedders.com/products/584004-...ts-pontiac-gto

I didn't purchase the X pipe kit but now I'm thinking I should have. I do have the o2 extensions so that's good.
I don't have any resonators, just mufflers at the end. The pipes come up all the way up to the headers.
No idea what exhaust I have.

Will post pictures soon as I can get under the car.
Old 05-18-2020, 11:44 AM
On The Tree

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by GTO Rando
Thanks!

I believe I found the correct motor mounts, presumably I can use these?
EM2993S out of stock @ Rockauto but was able to find these on Amazon.

Why in the world are are pedders so expensive? (PED-584004)
https://pedders.com/products/584004-...ts-pontiac-gto

I didn't purchase the X pipe kit but now I'm thinking I should have. I do have the o2 extensions so that's good.
I don't have any resonators, just mufflers at the end. The pipes come up all the way up to the headers.
No idea what exhaust I have.

Will post pictures soon as I can get under the car.
tons of companies make motor mounts, I'm using revshifts in my car.
Old 05-31-2020, 04:46 PM

Dropped off the headers for ceramic coating a little over a week ago, I'm expecting them to be done by the end of this week. The motor mounts came in as well so we're getting warmer!
Old 09-07-2020, 05:34 PM
Launching!

Figured I'd update this again. I had previously fixed the steering shaft hitting by replacing motor mounts. Well that only lasted about a month and the shaft is hitting again. I've read that some guys have loosened up the rack and moved it slightly to clear but that also requires adjusting the tie rods to get the wheel straight. I'm not interested in that. I'm also not so crazy about the tinny sound that stainless headers have. Long story short. They're coming off and stock manifolds are going on. I'm sure I'll lose some power, oh well I guess. I'll get over it LOL
Old 09-08-2020, 08:01 AM
Staging Lane

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I always thought the Hinson short motor mounts were supposed to fix header clearance issues?

Old 09-08-2020, 08:33 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 649 Likes on 499 Posts

Originally Posted by 4THGENCAMAROFAN
Figured I'd update this again. I had previously fixed the steering shaft hitting by replacing motor mounts. Well that only lasted about a month and the shaft is hitting again. I've read that some guys have loosened up the rack and moved it slightly to clear but that also requires adjusting the tie rods to get the wheel straight. I'm not interested in that. I'm also not so crazy about the tinny sound that stainless headers have. Long story short. They're coming off and stock manifolds are going on. I'm sure I'll lose some power, oh well I guess. I'll get over it LOL
Add a few fender washers inbetween the mount and the frame or bracket on the engine. Or maybe even use some slotted fender shims so you dont need to lift the engine much. thats what id do, or ding the header
Old 09-08-2020, 04:40 PM
Launching!

I've considered it, and I may do that. But I think I'll probably end up pulling them off either way. Even if I get the clearance issue fixed there's no way to fix the annoying tinny sound that headers have
Old 09-09-2020, 08:33 AM
Staging Lane

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 4THGENCAMAROFAN
I've considered it, and I may do that. But I think I'll probably end up pulling them off either way. Even if I get the clearance issue fixed there's no way to fix the annoying tinny sound that headers have
I'm about to purchase a set of Jet Hot coated Kooks headers that are stainless. Will they have the same sound you're describing(or not if they are coated)? They are also stainless.
Old 09-09-2020, 10:28 AM
Launching!

My understanding is pretty much any stainless header will be noisy. They’re so thin there’s no way to avoid it. I don’t think the coating will help any as that’s to help with the heat. The Kooks headers may be a little thicker than the cheaper headers and they may be a little quieter but I doubt it’ll be much difference. Most guys don’t really care about the noise and if this was a racecar I wouldn’t care either but I drive the car just about everyday and it’s annoying to me. It sounds like there’s a constant exhaust leak even though I’ve had the car on a rack twice checking for leaks and have found none after replacing all the clamps with the preformed style. It’s all preference. I can sacrifice some power for it to be quiet and not hit the steering shaft. Some guys want every last bit of power

Old 09-13-2020, 12:44 AM
Launching!

Made some shims. Put 3 on each side which came out to probably 3/16” or so. I put all 3 on the bottom on both side as there is a LOT more stud on the bottom vs the top of the mount. Unfortunately the shaft still hits but not nearly as bad. A guy could add more shims but I think I’ll be putting a dent in the primary next.

Quick Reply: Speed Engineering Long Tube headers