Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

Getting the GTO out of winter storage

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2019, 04:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Getting the GTO out of winter storage

Hey fellas. Got a quick question. End of October I put my gto away. Well the time has come to drive it a bit since it's getting nicer out. Would it be worth dumping a table spoon of marvel mystery oil in each cylinder and letting it roll over a few times before starting. Note i did change the oil right before so it's new oil.
Old 03-13-2019, 07:10 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Usually the issue with storage is the fuel. I always treat the tank with stabil and fill it as full as I can get it to prevent sweating as the condensation then breaks down the fuel.
Old 03-14-2019, 10:50 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My car sits for a few months but it doesn't get too cold in Houston. I don't do anything special other than charge the battery, air up the tires, fresh gas and oil change. Stabil is a good idea. Anyway just my novice thoughts. Have fun!
Old 03-18-2019, 11:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 228 Likes on 153 Posts

Make sure the battery is charged and turn the key. She'll be fine.
Old 03-24-2019, 03:01 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 432 Likes on 307 Posts

Originally Posted by 01WS6BLACKLS1
Hey fellas. Got a quick question. End of October I put my gto away. Well the time has come to drive it a bit since it's getting nicer out. Would it be worth dumping a table spoon of marvel mystery oil in each cylinder and letting it roll over a few times before starting. Note i did change the oil right before so it's new oil.
You should also swing a freshly decapitated live chicken over your head exactly 13 and 2/3 times while chanting a prayer to the ancient car gods. As a further sacrifice, you must mow the lawns of every household in a 53 mile radius. All this will, however, be meaningless unless you mentor underprivileged children in an ASE approved mechanic school. Seriously, though, the LS1 motors were designed for a 300k mile service life. With even the least bit of care they exceed that in factory trim. No need for magic oils and such. Your time would be much better spent insuring that no varmints chewed any wiring while the car was in storage.
Old 03-24-2019, 12:11 PM
TECH Resident

Received 114 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by gametech
You should also swing a freshly decapitated live chicken over your head exactly 13 and 2/3 times while chanting a prayer to the ancient car gods. As a further sacrifice, you must mow the lawns of every household in a 53 mile radius. All this will, however, be meaningless unless you mentor underprivileged children in an ASE approved mechanic school. Seriously, though, the LS1 motors were designed for a 300k mile service life. With even the least bit of care they exceed that in factory trim. No need for magic oils and such. Your time would be much better spent insuring that no varmints chewed any wiring while the car was in storage.
Lol...... Nailed it