Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

Just ordered the ls7 clutch

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2022, 04:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just ordered the ls7 clutch

I just ordered the ls7 clutch and I was wondering if the heavier flywheel will make my car feel slower? I’ve posted this in the gto group and I just couldn’t get a definitive answer. I don’t see how it could make it slower enough to to feel it but I just want to make sure. I love the feeling of the ls2 pinning you back in your seat. It’s an 06 with a corsa exhaust.
Old 03-31-2022, 11:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 298 Likes on 209 Posts

Are you going to be using your car on road courses?

If not then there's really nothing to worry about. Aluminum flywheels are many times used to help to Rev up your car coming out of corners quicker then regular billet steel flywheels or even chromoly in races. But they will also rev down a lot quicker because of the lack of rotating inertia. So for just plain street use I don't see why get one. Get a chromoly one and you'll be in the sweet spot, for street use if that's what you're looking for.

Also go with an aluminum or CF DS. That brings a lot of the weight parasetism down, and if you go with a one piece, that will helps to transfer more hp to your rear tires.

Last edited by 02*C5; 04-01-2022 at 12:43 PM.
The following users liked this post:
DOC-Z (04-04-2022)
Old 04-01-2022, 12:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 399 Likes on 291 Posts

I don't think it will matter if you have a drag car that can take advantage of the extra inertia on the launch. Technically it will be slower to accelerate from a roll but I doubt you'll notice because the weight difference isn't real significant. I don't know, you'll be able to tell us after first drive, huh?
The following users liked this post:
02*C5 (04-01-2022)
Old 04-04-2022, 04:49 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

I have the LS7 clutch with LS7 flywheel. It does feel heavier than the stock clutch did in my Monaro (GTO). I actually regret not trying the lightened flywheel but since I haven't tried it, I can't actually say if it's a bad idea as some suggest. I have read that a lightened flywheel in a GTO is actually the same as stock weight, whereas it's really light in an F-body car. I don't know if that's right though.
Old 04-05-2022, 12:49 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 508 Likes on 358 Posts

When you think of the rev difference with a lighter weight flywheel, you are not just comparing flywheel weight. You are changing the weight of your entire rotating assembly. Once you add the clutch, flywheel, crank, pistons, and all driven accessories, the total percentage of change to your rotating weight is much smaller than a comparison of just flywheels would lead you to believe. Don't sweat it.
EDIT-- And that is just free-revving the motor. As for actually accelerating the car, the percentage difference also includes the entire rotating weight of the whole drivetrain. At that point the percentage of difference is miniscule.
Old 04-05-2022, 08:49 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Lighter is better for me. Unless you do stop and go traffic and want best manners when driving that style. Too light and you need more revs for take off and launching.

Quick Reply: Just ordered the ls7 clutch