Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

Thinking about a 2004 GTO daily driver

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2004, 01:00 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking about a 2004 GTO daily driver

I've got a 2002 Firehawk Trans-AM and I was thinking about getting a 2004 GTO as my daily driver. I was really impressed with the test drive and the car overall. It's definatley not as fast or as performance oriented as my Firehawk is, but it's definatley a better car for daily use. First off the suspension isn't as stiff and the interior is more comfortable.

The back seats are more usefull and the overall interior design is just much better than what I've come to expect from GM.

I've got a truck now, but I was thinking about this because I'm kinda getting tired of navigating through crowded cities in a large pickup. Plus my woman still has a truck so I really don't need it.

I was going to get the automatic instead of the M6 because I sit in traffic alot. Besides I get my manual transmission fix on the weekends in the Firehawk, so I don't miss out on that totally.

Only thing that bothers me is that they are a similar vehicle in terms of class. Both are sport coupes, both are or were Pontiac's flagship cars, both are somewhat close in performance. Although my Firehawk will definatley smoke a 2004 GTO, I still think it would be an awesome daily driver. Clearly the GTO isn't made for the same market as the T/A was. Both appeal to me but for different reasons.

Thoughts on this? If I don't get the GTO I may go with another truck. But as far as cars go the only other car I like is the Corvette which is too expensive and would definatley be a replacement for the Trans-AM.

The idea here is to get a more daily driver oriented car that is fun to drive but not as rough suspension and ride wise as the Firehawk. It should get better gas mileage than my truck It's also easier to manage. And of course I can still enjoy the car and keep my Firehawk parked most of the time,
Old 09-05-2004, 02:07 AM
Banned

you can get a '04 GTO for an unbeliveable price I saw $26500 on an M6 if you use GMAC finance. This month they just came out with $3500 rebate if you use GMAC.
Old 09-05-2004, 02:19 AM
Teching In

I have considered the same issue and have decided to keep my 2002 'camaro at least for now. Way more support and performance parts and that kinda thing. Basically, if you are considering modifying your f-body in some way, someone else has already done it and will help. I dont think that kind of community exists with the GTO.

Also, you might want to wait for the '05. Better looking and better engine. But if you can get a good deal on an '04 like I got on my 2002 ($21000) then you might want to go for it. But the '05 is better.
And don't forget if you get the 6spd you have to pay the gas guzzler tax.

I'd wait for the '05 LS2 myself.
JMHO
Old 09-05-2004, 02:22 AM
Teching In

Also, no hatchback on the GTO....a real plus for multi-use.
Old 09-05-2004, 02:32 AM
Staging Lane

Go the GTO mate, As a Aussie i know this car very well, they are only sporty not built to be a supercar, But let me tell you they can be thrown around they handle very nice and can be given heaps, And it's also a daily driver that is nice to the driver with all the good options inside, Trust me if you had the features standard we have it would be a steal at that price. But if you buy one you will be a very happy man,
Old 09-05-2004, 04:27 PM
TECH Veteran

It would be a fantastic choice. It's a car that is designed to be comfortable to use everyday and race if desired, just like the originals. Great ride/handling balance, all the power you'll need stock, the best seats in any GM car, and pretty quiet out on the highway.

With the new financing rebates and dealers negotiating the prices, the 2004 will certainly be the cheapest way to get into a brand new GTO.
Old 09-05-2004, 07:47 PM
TECH Regular

Well I don't use the Firehawk for a daily driver. That's the car I am going to mod and work on. It's a 6spd. I was thinking about trading my truck in for a GTO to use as a daily driver. The GTO doesn't quite have the same sports car kind of feel that my Firehawk has. But it did have nice features, good performance and decent styling.

I was interested in the 04's because the dealer is willing to cut me a break on it and since it's going to be a stock daily driver, the better LS2 engine doesn't really matter to me. If I didn't have the Firehawk and just one vehicle that would be different. I'd probably wait and go for an 05 GTO.

I just wanted the GTO because I hate four door cars, the trucks a pain in the *** to park and the Goat would be better on gas than the truck.

I also thought about just getting another truck. I like those too. But sometimes I wish I had a car like the GTO for daily use. The Firehawk is a fun weekend car but I wouldn't want to drive it everyday.
Old 09-06-2004, 04:11 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Firehawk0220
Well I don't use the Firehawk for a daily driver. That's the car I am going to mod and work on. It's a 6spd. I was thinking about trading my truck in for a GTO to use as a daily driver. The GTO doesn't quite have the same sports car kind of feel that my Firehawk has. But it did have nice features, good performance and decent styling.

I was interested in the 04's because the dealer is willing to cut me a break on it and since it's going to be a stock daily driver, the better LS2 engine doesn't really matter to me. If I didn't have the Firehawk and just one vehicle that would be different. I'd probably wait and go for an 05 GTO.

I just wanted the GTO because I hate four door cars, the trucks a pain in the *** to park and the Goat would be better on gas than the truck.

I also thought about just getting another truck. I like those too. But sometimes I wish I had a car like the GTO for daily use. The Firehawk is a fun weekend car but I wouldn't want to drive it everyday.
A lot of people here moan that the Monaro (GTO) has a stiff suspension, So now i'm just thinking could it be cause we run 18" rims standard or you don't have the full FE2 suspension could be the FE1.5 which is less stiff?
But i know alot of people say the new design is plain, But it's the first one in a line of 4 the Monaro CV8 - GTO is the basic sports from Holden, (HSV) Then there is our version of the GTO, PLus a Coupe4 verison and the big bad one the GTS. Now really pontiac could have picked anything, But they chose a basic version with less options. But i love the look i'm a Fan, And i think you would love it.
Old 09-06-2004, 05:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

I test drove a GTO six speed last week and I liked it but I don't think it is for me as a performance car. I drove to the dealer in my '00 Z28 and came away thinking the Z is better for performance and the GTO is a better daily driver. Trouble is I can't afford both and the GTO is expensive but the prices are coming down. I saw $23,500 with all the incentives. I say do it and your keeping the Firehawk so you will be happy with it.
Old 09-06-2004, 07:49 PM
TECH Regular

Well I just got back from Ewing Pontiac in Dallas. They're ********. That's first and foremost. I won't get into it all. But they woulnd;t deal with me. I did my own math on the deal and they could have had a sale but they lost. They treated me like **** and they insluted me with a rediculous offer for my trade. They told me that I had to have 10K to put down before they would sell it to me.

**** that. That's not even remotely the case. I could have had that car with 0 down and a 10% interest rate and paid exactly what I pay now for my truck.

So I won't be getting a GTO from them. I may or may not try another dealer. I'm feeling pissed off and discouraged.

On another note, I do think that the T/A is a better performance car. My Firehawk accelerates better, corners better and is more responsive. But the GTO gets good gas mileage and is a fun daily driver. It's definatley better suited to every day driving. Then again so is my truck.

Oh well. Since I've done all my math and have it all diagramed out I think I am going to go up there and complain about my experience, and explain to them what they could have done for a guaranteed sale and how they screwed up. Then tell them I am going to another Pontiac dealer in town. See what they do then.

BTW when Ewing Pontiac was Evans Pontiac and I was looking at a bird in 2001 I got the same treatment. When I heard they changed names and owners I went back and I nothing's changed.

Even when they insulted me with a lowball offer for my trade and I showed them online that it was worth more than that they still kept trying to snow me. The guy was telling me some story about a bad experience he had at Reliable Chevrolet and told me what they did to him. He called them Stupid ************* right there in the showroom with my GF present and everything. WTF??? Somethings screwy with that dealership.

Ewing Pontiac
Old 09-06-2004, 07:57 PM
TECH Veteran

Try Sewell Pontiac, I think it's in your area and they sponsor www.ls1gto.com
Old 09-06-2004, 11:10 PM
TECH Regular

That's a good idea. I went to a Sewell dealer once with a friend and they seemed to be pretty good.
Old 09-06-2004, 11:24 PM

All them Pontiac dealers are tard asses. I haven't found one yet I'd even buy an apple from. Their product line sucks, and has for a long time. The GTO is a pleasant treat, but it's the way their handling it. That may be one of the reasons it's not selling. By the way, I stopped at a Dodge dealer the other day to look at an SRT10 Ram, and they were a bunch of idiots. I was just out f*cking around anyways, but now I'm seriously looking at foreign products. I then went to a Porsche dealership, and they were real polite and considerate, no redneck bullshit. They actually new something about their product line. So, I'm looking at a Cayenne Turbo.
Old 09-07-2004, 08:52 AM
TECH Regular

Well I can't afford anything like that unless I sold both my truck and my Firehawk. I'm glad now I bought my Firehawk used so I didn't have to deal with Pontiac dealers. I'll try Sewell and see what happens.
Old 09-07-2004, 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by Firehawk0220
Well I can't afford anything like that unless I sold both my truck and my Firehawk. I'm glad now I bought my Firehawk used so I didn't have to deal with Pontiac dealers. I'll try Sewell and see what happens.
Whatever you do, keep the Firehawk. Those are neat. Back around 94' when I was looking for a 1LE Fbody, I went to Redbird Pontiac. They did actually speak my English and provided me with a ton of literature and dealer sheets on the 1LE cars. Alot of it was straight from GM. I realize I'm contradicting my previous post, but this was back in 94'. I would almost bet that salesaman is no longer there, as is it's a high turn over profession. I also tried Freeman Pontiac to. I'd stay away from Buz Post Pontiac(Dud Post or Dud Buz) in Arlington. I've never heard anything good about them. Alot of dealers have websites, so you could look on their sites, and feel them out before you go waste time on them.
Old 09-07-2004, 10:57 AM
TECH Regular

Well I dealt with Sewell GMC a while back and it was a good experience. So I'll give them a try.

The Firehawk stays no doubt. I love that car. The GTO would be a daily driver and stay stock. So since it's just a daily driver I'm ok with the lesser HP 2004 model. Most people want to wait until 2005 for the LS2 version. Since it's just a daily driver I am not going to worry about it.
Old 09-07-2004, 03:10 PM
Staging Lane

All Dealers world wide are twits heartless money hungry Croc's
Old 09-08-2004, 12:36 AM
TECH Regular

Dealers suck. But my three dealings with Chevy dealers have been pleasant. As was my one Ford dealership experience. I've generally had good service experiences at any dealership I've been to.

But consistantly Pontiac dealers just suck.

Quick Reply: Thinking about a 2004 GTO daily driver