Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

WTF?!? check engine light already?!

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2004 | 07:22 AM
On The Tree

Default WTF?!? check engine light already?!

any insight as to why my GTO turned the check engine light on at 1512 miles? it can't be because of the speed inc HFI kit, can it?
Old 10-15-2004 | 08:03 AM
jbk
Teching In

Make sure your gas cap is tight, the light will go on if the tank isn't pressurized.
Old 10-15-2004 | 08:32 AM
TECH Senior Member

Hold the "Mode" and "Set" buttons down while turning the ignition key on.. Then step through the displays with the "Mode" button. When you get to the trouble codes, copy 'em down and post in here, we'll see what we can do for ya
Old 10-15-2004 | 08:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

Chances are you didn't connect something, air is getting in after the MAF, or you have the MAF in backwords (even I've done this without thinking).

But without the code, we're all pulling random guesses out of our *****.
Old 10-15-2004 | 09:36 AM
On The Tree

Ok. I did what you told me to do Brains and it was kinda weird. the code came up as all zeros. i repeat, all zeros. CMNT, I checked the MAF for the flow as well as all the connections. I did not find anything wrong with it. As far as the gas tank, I checked it and it was tight. any insight?
Old 10-15-2004 | 09:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

Well, without seeing the car, I can't really say. DTC's (Diagnostic Trouble Codes) will clear automatically (depending on their severity) over time. It's odd that the DIC doesn't give the code.

Anyway, the codes will clear themselves either after three (3) CONSECUTIVE successful opeating cycles without the DTC triggering again OR 40 CONSECUTIVE successful operating cycles. Most likely this wasn't a severe DTC and my guess is that after 3 successful (consecutive) cycles, it'll clear on it's own.

You can also clear it without a scan tool by turning the ignition switch to "run" (without starting the car) and disconnecting the negative side of the battery for a minute or so, turning off the ignition after that minute and re-connecting the battery terminal. This is also known as an "idle relearn" and will reset the PCM completely. Sorta like re-booting your PC. As such, for optimum performance of the re-learn, I siggest going to www.obdII.com and following the GM driving cycle as much as you can (I understand certain conditions may exist where you can't follow them to a "T") but as close as you can and even improvise.

This may also help the PCM re-learn quicker with the new CAI.
Old 10-18-2004 | 07:33 AM
On The Tree

update: so i went to the pontiac dealership and they found that the left bank was running lean. they found the MAF had a little bit of oil on it from the air filter. the guy just cleaned the MAF and turned the code off.
Old 10-18-2004 | 09:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

There is an actual TSB for over/excessively oiled K&N style filters. NOTE: This does not mean normally oiled K&N's. It is for OVER OILED ones.

It is not uncommon that they oil the MAF and leave soot on the TB. SO keep an eye out on that.

Quick Reply: WTF?!? check engine light already?!