Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

HID kit install with pictures.

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2005, 07:31 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HID kit install with pictures.

well I cant do a group buy on it for you guys without being a seller and I am not one nor will I pay that much.. I won make any money. But I can show you guys how I installed the kit. I have blurred out the name of the company because of this so don’t ask me why.

The kit

Tools you will need

10mm wrench
13mm wrench
Flat head screwdriver
Phillips screw driver
Double sided super adhesive tape (if you don’t want to screw bolts into your car)
Drill (if you do want to screw bolts into your car, I did not do this so I will not tell you how to )
Dremel tool or something that can cut a hole in the light bulb cover cap.

Start by removing the radiator shroud. Use a flat head screw driver to remove the 5 plastic clips holding it on.

Next unplug and remove the battery and battery holder (black metal piece under the battery 3 13mm bolts.

Remove the DRL ( Daytime Runing Light) RELAY located in the fuse box right next to the battery. If you look inside the lid it has a diagram of the fuses and relays
Remove the air filtration box <--- if you don’t know how search k&n's site for directions.

Remove low beam light covers on both sides by twisting them counter clockwise, should only be 1/4 turn for them to come off. Remove the low beam bulbs.

Grab the HID bulbs and wiring and the cap and cut a hole in the cap so that the large Connector can fit through it. there isn’t a certain size just keep trying to fit it through unstill it goes in. try to make the hole as close to a circle as possible

Once you can fit the large connector though the hole feed the rest of the wires from the inside of the cap out. Until you reach the rubber seal. Push the seal through so that one side of the seal comes through the hole now grab that with a screw driver and slowly move in a circle as you lift the rest of the rubber seal through the hole

This is what it should look like when you are done.
OUTSIDE

INSIDE

Blow out all the plastic shavings unlike me
Repeat this step for the other cap.

Now that you have the bulbs and wires set you can move on to the ballasts

Grab the ballast and the double sided adhesive tape you picked up at AutoZone

Use alcohol pads or rubbing alcohol to clean the underside of the ballast
Cut 2 strips (you can use 3 if you want but that might be overkill)
Tape them to the ballast. Do not remove the plastic from the tape until you are ready to mount the ballast to the car.

On the passenger side of the car you will clean a spot under the battery holder to mount the ballast.

Make sure the battery holder bolt mount can clear the ballast before you mount it.

Face the plug and the cable on the ballast toward the front of the car. Once you know you are ready to mount remove the plastic from the adhesive tape and mount the ballast.
TOP VIEW ^front of car

Now you are ready to plug everything in. Remove the bulb form the plastic cover. MAKE SURE YOU DO NOT TOUCH THE BULB WITH YOUR FINGERS OR SKIN. You may want to wear gloves. There is a little rubber red seal you will slide over the bulb and slide it around the base of the plug. You can slide some the wire through the rubber seal to give you more to work with. Now install the bulb. This is easy and if you can’t do that you should have someone installing this kit for you.
Now that the bulb is installed plug the prongs in the OEM bulb connector/plug.
Black - connector goes to red + wire with white stripe. Red Connector goes to red wire with blue stripe. You can put some electrical tape over this. I did not. The light housing should be weather proof.

Reinstall the light housing caps.
Plug the remaining connectors into the ballast.
Reinstall the battery holder and battery.
Reinstall the battery. You can plug it in and test the light out. If you crossed the wires and the light doesn’t come on it should not hurt the ballast. Just remove the cap and PLUG THE CORRECT WIRES TO THE CORRECT WIRES

Voila!!! You are done... repeat these steps for the driver’s side.

Remove the air filter box. Move any wires that might be in your way. Here are some pictures for you to reference where the ballast can be mounted.

Looking towards front of car

Looking towards back of car.
MAKE SURE YOU CLEAN THE AREA WHERE YOU WILL BE MOUNTINGTHE BALLAST. if you mount it in that exact location make sure the plug is facing towards the back of the car and you mount it as close to the right of the car.. There is a joint there that will prevent the tape from sitting properly if you don’t.

Here are some images of the light output

These bulbs are 5000k they break in fully after about 10hrs of operation.

if i missed something let me know.

Last edited by DZmedia; 07-24-2005 at 02:35 PM.
Old 01-11-2005, 08:04 PM
TECH Resident

I'm confused... Two wires go in to the HID bulb, the other two go through the gasket to what?

Did this plug into the factory wire harness without any modifications or does it use another method of power?

Did you remember to pull the DRL fuse? (otherwise it'll smoke the ballast)

The install looks nice, but how does the bulb secure into the housing?
Old 01-11-2005, 08:07 PM
On The Tree

3 plugs go into the ballast. 2 little male prongs go into the OEM harness this is where the power comes from.The bulb secures just like any other bulb. H11 is universal. yes sorry about the DRL thing. i will add that to the install

This kit has the egnitors built into the ballasts so there isnt an extra thing to mount.
Old 01-11-2005, 08:11 PM
TECH Resident

Ah, mkay... Lets see the pictures of it equipped and lighting something up.
Old 01-11-2005, 08:16 PM
On The Tree

coming up.!!!
Old 01-11-2005, 08:23 PM
On The Tree

Old 01-11-2005, 08:37 PM
TECH Resident

So what is your impressions of the quality of this kit? IE: Would yo buy it again or go with something like the LS1speed.com kit instead? (for a little more money) The only thing that would worry me is the quality and lifespan of questionable brand stuff and the 'prongs' that plug into the factory harness to power it. So far it seems the light pattern on these HID kits seems consistant.

How would you compare the light output vs the stock H11's?
Old 01-11-2005, 08:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by CSiJason
So what is your impressions of the quality of this kit? IE: Would yo buy it again or go with something like the LS1speed.com kit instead? (for a little more money) The only thing that would worry me is the quality and lifespan of questionable brand stuff and the 'prongs' that plug into the factory harness to power it. So far it seems the light pattern on these HID kits seems consistant.

i would buy a hid kit anyday from www.xenondepot.com phillip kits are the best.
Old 01-12-2005, 12:06 AM
On The Tree

so far 5 hrs or so i love them... the light is gradually turning more and more white... as i said it takes about 10hrs for them to "burn" in properly. the cables and connectors are all weather proof and the company had done that UNDERWATER test on them.. so they work when the whole kit is fully submerged under water. i am not sure of the bulb make but they are not painted like some companies.. the kit was easy to install and i am not worried about the prongs coming out of the factory harness it is all enclosed behind the light cap...
Old 02-09-2005, 04:46 PM
10 Second Club

Bling looks nice
Old 02-09-2005, 07:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

The HIDs are sweet! I have a set for the low beams and fog lights. I need to find time to install them this week.
Old 02-09-2005, 08:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

I have the same set on my car, they work MUCH better than the factory low beams. I can actually see at night now
Old 02-10-2005, 10:23 AM
On The Tree

yepp. i love them... the car should have come with HIDs from the factory...
Old 02-13-2005, 10:11 AM
Teching In

I'm confused... Two wires go in to the HID bulb, the other two go through the gasket to what?

Did this plug into the factory wire harness without any modifications or does it use another method of power?

Did you remember to pull the DRL fuse? (otherwise it'll smoke the ballast)

The install looks nice, but how does the bulb secure into the housing?

Just curiuos, how does DRL relate to the low beams having HID? I thought the high beams where what ran during the day. I could be wrong.
Old 02-13-2005, 12:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

Nope, its the low beams. Just pull the relay and all is well.
Old 07-22-2005, 04:16 PM
Launching!

nuts still got the pics?
Old 07-22-2005, 05:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

If anyone in the Houston area has a stock headlamped GTO, we can take side by side comparison photos. Let me know.
Old 07-24-2005, 02:36 PM
On The Tree

all pics should be working now
Old 07-24-2005, 03:33 PM
GTO
On The Tree

Hey Dzmedia I Hope You Put The Stick Of The H.i.d Down Correct?
Old 07-24-2005, 03:48 PM
On The Tree

i dont know what that means...

Quick Reply: HID kit install with pictures.