Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

A New Kill for my 04 GTO

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2005, 03:20 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I raced on Suburu STI in Tampa about a month ago. I was on my way out to a club with a friend and these two guys pull up next to me. The light turns green and we were neck and neck. I come up to a turn and a back off a little, because I'm unfamiliar with the road and he cornored real well. It straightened out and I punched it, caught up to him and brought it to about 110 and started pulling away from him. Ended up pulling over. The guys were really impressed with the GTO. They actually let me folloow them to the club, because I was lost. Good race though.

Originally Posted by SHAGGY
Someone race a Subaru STi...I'm sure the goat will win, but by how much?
Old 03-21-2005, 03:53 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Nick368
I raced on Suburu STI in Tampa about a month ago. I was on my way out to a club with a friend and these two guys pull up next to me. The light turns green and we were neck and neck. I come up to a turn and a back off a little, because I'm unfamiliar with the road and he cornored real well. It straightened out and I punched it, caught up to him and brought it to about 110 and started pulling away from him. Ended up pulling over. The guys were really impressed with the GTO. They actually let me folloow them to the club, because I was lost. Good race though.
So wait, you two are neck and neck and you slow down for a corner (I assume the STi passes you at this point) and then you gun it to 110, reel him in and pull on him? Did he take the corner at 40mph in 5th gear so you could catch him off boost on the straight? How fast were you going into the corner and coming out of it? Is your car stock? How many car lengths did he have on you coming out of the corner? The most likely way I see you catching him and pulling him after a corner is if he braked slightly and stayed in too high of a gear and got caught off boost when he got back on the throttle. I'm not saying that it isn't possible for you to catch the guy after the corner, but are you sure he didn't slow down for you? What kind of corner are we talking about here? Sorry but there are too many loose ends in your story for me to believe that a Rex STi outcornered you and then you pulled him and passed him from the time you took the corner up until 110mph. Seems like too short of a time for the guy in the Scooby to pass you and for you to make up lost time, catch him, and pass him. Could you clarify?
Old 03-23-2005, 09:24 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by bruddah_man_matt
So wait, you two are neck and neck and you slow down for a corner (I assume the STi passes you at this point) and then you gun it to 110, reel him in and pull on him? Did he take the corner at 40mph in 5th gear so you could catch him off boost on the straight? How fast were you going into the corner and coming out of it? Is your car stock? How many car lengths did he have on you coming out of the corner? The most likely way I see you catching him and pulling him after a corner is if he braked slightly and stayed in too high of a gear and got caught off boost when he got back on the throttle. I'm not saying that it isn't possible for you to catch the guy after the corner, but are you sure he didn't slow down for you? What kind of corner are we talking about here? Sorry but there are too many loose ends in your story for me to believe that a Rex STi outcornered you and then you pulled him and passed him from the time you took the corner up until 110mph. Seems like too short of a time for the guy in the Scooby to pass you and for you to make up lost time, catch him, and pass him. Could you clarify?
Ok, let me clarify. My car is pretty much stock. When we hot the turn he took the lead and I backed off, because of unfamilarity with the road. I then shot back up to him, I assumed he wan't pushing it after the turn until we were neck and neck and then we both punched it. I took a minimal lead and he caught up real quick and then once we got to the higher gears his turbo had lost its punch and I got him. sorry I should have clarified more.