Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

Has anyone heard of this?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2005, 10:58 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Has anyone heard of this?

Just bought an 05 goat on feb. 9th and I have only a 150 miles on it. I live in Alaska and we are kinda going through a freeze and thaw cycle right now so I haven't been able to get much use out of it. Anyways I flew down to the store and my way home I stopped to check the mail. When I got out of my car I heard this strage noise coming from the under carriage of the car. It sounds kinda like a ticking or knocking of some sort. When I accelerate a little, so does the noise. I just went through hell with my last car but, that's another story all together. Does anyone have any idea what it may be? Its going in the shop @ 7:30am tomorrow. I'll keep you posted.
Old 02-23-2005, 11:06 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by flockness
Just bought an 05 goat on feb. 9th and I have only a 150 miles on it. I live in Alaska and we are kinda going through a freeze and thaw cycle right now so I haven't been able to get much use out of it. Anyways I flew down to the store and my way home I stopped to check the mail. When I got out of my car I heard this strage noise coming from the under carriage of the car. It sounds kinda like a ticking or knocking of some sort. When I accelerate a little, so does the noise. I just went through hell with my last car but, that's another story all together. Does anyone have any idea what it may be? Its going in the shop @ 7:30am tomorrow. I'll keep you posted.

Sounds like like the car is just cooliing off. That is normal. The exhaust system will make lots of noises once you shut the engine down.
Old 02-24-2005, 12:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

If the car is car is shut off and it's ticking it's a combination of hot oil dripping back down onto hot internal parts and the metal in the exhaust components contracting as they cool. Both of which are normal.

The ticking you hear when accelerating is normal valvetrain noise with these cars.
Old 02-24-2005, 05:27 AM
TECH Resident

I have owned many cars, all of which have made those noises after being shut off on a colder day.
Old 02-24-2005, 08:34 AM
10 Second Club

Yeah, sorry to say these LSx motors have valve train noise. As long as it doesn't sound like a diesel. Then it's what is known as piston slap, and you need the dealer to rework the motor. But I thought that problem was fixed in these newer motors....
Old 02-24-2005, 09:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by WAHUSKER
Yeah, sorry to say these LSx motors have valve train noise. As long as it doesn't sound like a diesel. Then it's what is known as piston slap, and you need the dealer to rework the motor. But I thought that problem was fixed in these newer motors....
Not entirely true.

It's called Cold Start Knock (or CSK for short). It IS normal and should go away within a minute or two of operation.

If after that and you're 15 minutes into driving it and it still sounds like a diesel from the piston slap, THEN we'd have either rebuilt or usually installed a new motor (as it generally is cheaper in most cases). But otherwise, if it goes away, it's normal. You just hear it more through an aluminum block, aluminum headed engine with thin walled headers (even the factory cast iron ones) you're gonna hear more slapping noise through it than an old cast iron blocked, headed and manifolded engine.
Old 02-24-2005, 04:38 PM
Teching In

When I started the car this morning to take it to the shop, it didn't make any ticking or knocking sound. The dealership is only about 7 miles from my house so I turned off the radio and just listened. About three or four miles down the highway I could begin to hear a ticking very faintly. When I got to the dealership, I left the car running and I could definetly hear it. It seemed actually louder than before. I turned off the car and walked over to the service desk. The guy there wrote it up and asked if he could hear the noise. Of course I told him no problem. Only about 5 minutes or so passed. I walked over and started the car and in that amount of time, you could very faintly hear the sound. I was kinda bummed because I wanted him to hear what I had just heard. It's still in the shop right now and I havent heard from them as of yet. I'm hoping its just an exhaust gasket of some sort. I keep you posted though and thanks for the feedback in advance.
Old 03-05-2005, 11:12 AM
Teching In

Well, here is the damage report. The sound that I'm hearing (according to the dealer) is a broken baffle inside the exhaust or muffler. They actually don't know exactly where it is because the sound is being magnified inside the exhaust pipe. The car has also lost some of it's throaty sound. Parts are on order as we speak. Hope they get here soon. I can barely stand to drive it just knowing there's something wrong.
Old 03-06-2005, 09:36 PM
Teching In

Did they know how or why it would break off?
Old 03-07-2005, 11:28 AM
Teching In

No. They don't have a clue. It almost seems like they don't know what the hell their doing. I actually traded in an 04 STI for my GTO though. In all actuality, the Sti is a better care if you have a lot of dirt roads or there's ice and snow on the roads 6 months out of the year(like here). Other than that, I love the goat in every other way. The all wheel drive system on them is awesome.
Old 03-07-2005, 11:42 AM
Teching In

Yeah I'm liking the GTO. Just hard to convice the wife, because its not four doors.
Old 03-07-2005, 11:52 AM
Teching In

When the pavement comes, let her drive it. Soon as she sits down, especially after driving the Sti, she will realize how much roomier it is on the inside. The goat also has power seats so you can move them with ease. There a little slow though. My wife hated the Sti but loves the GTO. I only let her drive it once so far though. It was the day when the pavement was real dry.
Old 03-07-2005, 12:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Simply sounds like a bad spot weld in the muffler. Sh*t happens!